    nothing on my screen. I have tried several times to do a clean install
    with the same result. I am running W2K SP4.

    Any ideas or am I doomed to use IE from now on?

    Manny Davis, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Manny Davis wrote:
    > I love FF and version .7 worked great for me for a long time. I upgraded
    > to 1.0 and I am now having a terrible problem.
    >
    > Before upgrading I uninstalled .7 and backed up my profile folder. The
    > upgrade to 1.0 went fine. Then I installed three plug-ins -- java, flash,
    > and the dictionary one. Everything worked fine for a while, then I
    > noticed the "dictionary search" was missing from the right-click menu, so
    > I uninstalled and reinstalled the dictionary plug-in. That didn't help.
    > So I uninstalled FF, rebooted, and reinstalled FF. Now FF won't even
    > load. When I double click the FF icon I get disk activity for a while,
    > but nothing on my screen. Under Task Manager, processes I can see
    > firefox.exe is running, but nothing under the Applications tab and
    > nothing on my screen. I have tried several times to do a clean install
    > with the same result. I am running W2K SP4.
    >
    > Any ideas or am I doomed to use IE from now on?

    Make sure that ll instances of FF are closed in Task Manager. Then try
    starting Firefox in Safe Mode:

    Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode

    Will it start?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Manny Davis

    Manny Davis Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in

    > Manny Davis wrote:
    >> I love FF and version .7 worked great for me for a long time. I
    >> upgraded to 1.0 and I am now having a terrible problem.
    >>
    >> Before upgrading I uninstalled .7 and backed up my profile folder.
    >> The upgrade to 1.0 went fine. Then I installed three plug-ins --
    >> java, flash, and the dictionary one. Everything worked fine for a
    >> while, then I noticed the "dictionary search" was missing from the
    >> right-click menu, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the dictionary
    >> plug-in. That didn't help. So I uninstalled FF, rebooted, and
    >> reinstalled FF. Now FF won't even load. When I double click the FF
    >> icon I get disk activity for a while, but nothing on my screen. Under
    >> Task Manager, processes I can see firefox.exe is running, but nothing
    >> under the Applications tab and nothing on my screen. I have tried
    >> several times to do a clean install with the same result. I am
    >> running W2K SP4.
    >>
    >> Any ideas or am I doomed to use IE from now on?
    >>

    > Make sure that ll instances of FF are closed in Task Manager. Then
    > try starting Firefox in Safe Mode:
    >
    > Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode
    >
    > Will it start?

    Yes, it did start, and it looks like my bookmarks are intact and I can
    browse normally.

    What should I do now? Should I always run it in safe mode?

    Thanks so much for the help.

    Manny Davis, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Manny Davis wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    >

    >>Manny Davis wrote:
    >>
    >>>I love FF and version .7 worked great for me for a long time. I
    >>>upgraded to 1.0 and I am now having a terrible problem.
    >>>
    >>>Before upgrading I uninstalled .7 and backed up my profile folder.
    >>>The upgrade to 1.0 went fine. Then I installed three plug-ins --
    >>>java, flash, and the dictionary one. Everything worked fine for a
    >>>while, then I noticed the "dictionary search" was missing from the
    >>>right-click menu, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the dictionary
    >>>plug-in. That didn't help. So I uninstalled FF, rebooted, and
    >>>reinstalled FF. Now FF won't even load. When I double click the FF
    >>>icon I get disk activity for a while, but nothing on my screen. Under
    >>>Task Manager, processes I can see firefox.exe is running, but nothing
    >>>under the Applications tab and nothing on my screen. I have tried
    >>>several times to do a clean install with the same result. I am
    >>>running W2K SP4.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas or am I doomed to use IE from now on?
    >>>

    >>Make sure that ll instances of FF are closed in Task Manager. Then
    >>try starting Firefox in Safe Mode:
    >>
    >>Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox>>Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode
    >>
    >>Will it start?

    > Yes, it did start, and it looks like my bookmarks are intact and I can
    > browse normally.
    >
    > What should I do now? Should I always run it in safe mode?
    >
    > Thanks so much for the help.

    Open in Safe Mode.

    Tools>>Extensions

    In Extensions Manager, disable every extension.

    See if FF will open normally now, not in Safe Mode. Reenable extensions
    until you find the culprit. Then open in Safe Mode and uninstall it.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 25, 2005