    system passed MS Antispy and PC-cillin 2005 spyware scans cleanly. Is
    there something more to config in FF? I like to use Cookie Culler too.
    Anyway TIA.

    Willie Buck Merle, Mar 9, 2005

  2. On 2005-03-09, Willie Buck Merle <> wrote:

    > When I go to www.slickdeals.net, my firewall blocks a call to
    > 216.21.215.29:8000 from Firefox . I'm a n00b so I'm guessing this
    > isn't just firefox but happens to other browsers as well?

    Run a whois query against that IP address:

    [john@vector john]$ whois 216.21.215.29|less
    OrgName: Adknowledge, Inc.
    OrgID: ADKNO
    Address: 4600 Madison Ave
    Address: 5th Floor
    City: Kansas City
    StateProv: MO
    PostalCode: 64112
    Country: US

    NetRange: 216.21.208.0 - 216.21.223.255
    CIDR: 216.21.208.0/20
    NetName: ADKNO
    NetHandle: NET-216-21-208-0-1
    Parent: NET-216-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Assignment
    NameServer: NS1.AK-NETWORKS.COM
    NameServer: NS2.AK-NETWORKS.COM
    Comment:
    RegDate: 2003-07-30
    Updated: 2004-06-22

    OrgTechHandle: KJC4-ARIN
    OrgTechName: Clark, Kevin John
    OrgTechPhone: +1-816-931-1771
    OrgTechEmail:

    "adknowledge.com" is a spam/spyware outfit; I get hit with dozens of
    solicitations from them every day; all spam (but spamassassin dumps them
    for me). They are trying to redirect you through their proxy running on
    port 8000, presumably so they can take where you go and what you do.

    Your firewall is configured to block connections to this site,
    likely because of its known spam/spyware nature.

    > Also my
    > system passed MS Antispy and PC-cillin 2005 spyware scans cleanly. Is
    > there something more to config in FF?

    The fact that there is an attempt to redirect you to a proxy at
    adknowledge.com suggests that there may still be some piece of spyware on
    your system. Maybe try SpybotSD in addition to those other tools.

    Like what? Do you have pop-up blocking enabled? Have you installed the
    adblock extension? Probably the best way to avoid these problems is to
    switch to a non-Windows operating system (Mac OS-X, linux, whatever) as
    virtually all the spyware, viruses and such like require Windows to work.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Mar 9, 2005