FF mouse action

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Richard, Dec 31, 2007.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I have found numerous threads and "fixits" for this, including the
    Mozilla knowledge base, but none seem to work for me, and I am at the
    end of my rope. It is VERY exasperating!

    I have two computers, one with Ubuntu, and FF 2.0.0.11; and one with
    WinXP and FF 2.0.0.11

    Both use the same keyboard/mouse through a kvm switch. The mouse is a
    Dynapoint HM2002

    The Ubuntu system does, and always has, behaved perfectly, WRT the mouse
    actions.

    The WinXP used to work perfectly, but changed either 2 or 3 FF upgrades
    ago, possibly with the addition of some FF addons. I have since removed
    the addons, with no change in the mouse actions.

    The problem action is that the scroll wheel now only "pages" forward and
    back. The only way I can scroll a page is moving the mouse pointer over
    to the scroll bar and dragging it down, which is a PITA!

    I have gone to about:config and fiddled with various
    mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey values, but have had no change in
    behavior.

    HELP!!!!!!!!

    Richard, Dec 31, 2007

  2. Richard wrote:
    > I have found numerous threads and "fixits" for this, including the
    > Mozilla knowledge base, but none seem to work for me, and I am at the
    > end of my rope. It is VERY exasperating!
    >
    > I have two computers, one with Ubuntu, and FF 2.0.0.11; and one with
    > WinXP and FF 2.0.0.11
    >
    > Both use the same keyboard/mouse through a kvm switch. The mouse is a
    > Dynapoint HM2002
    >
    > The Ubuntu system does, and always has, behaved perfectly, WRT the mouse
    > actions.
    >
    > The WinXP used to work perfectly, but changed either 2 or 3 FF upgrades
    > ago, possibly with the addition of some FF addons. I have since removed
    > the addons, with no change in the mouse actions.
    >
    > The problem action is that the scroll wheel now only "pages" forward and
    > back. The only way I can scroll a page is moving the mouse pointer over
    > to the scroll bar and dragging it down, which is a PITA!
    >
    > I have gone to about:config and fiddled with various
    > mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey values, but have had no change in
    > behavior.
    >
    > HELP!!!!!!!!

    close the program, then click on the windows start button,
    then run and enter:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will bring up the FF profile manager. Create a test
    profile. Does the problem continues in that?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 31, 2007

  3. Richard

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:17:27 -1000, in message <47794047$0$7197$>,
    Richard wrote:

    > The problem action is that the scroll wheel now only "pages" forward and
    > back. The only way I can scroll a page is moving the mouse pointer over
    > to the scroll bar and dragging it down, which is a PITA!
    >
    > I have gone to about:config and fiddled with various
    > mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey values, but have had no change in
    > behavior.

    Perhaps the problem is that you have been adjusting the
    "mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey" values, rather than
    "mousewheel.withnokey" values.

    Set mousewheel.withnokey.action to one of the following values

    0 Scroll by lines of text
    1 Scroll by pages of text
    2 Move forward/backward in browser history.
    3 Make page text larger/smaller

    If that doesn't fix it, then it may be in your Windows mouse driver.
    The Windows mouse driver may be configured so that the scrollwheel
    sends what is really Shift+scrollwheel to Firefox.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Dec 31, 2007
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    (snipped)

    > Perhaps the problem is that you have been adjusting the
    > "mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey" values, rather than
    > "mousewheel.withnokey" values.
    >
    > Set mousewheel.withnokey.action to one of the following values
    >
    > 0 Scroll by lines of text
    > 1 Scroll by pages of text
    > 2 Move forward/backward in browser history.
    > 3 Make page text larger/smaller
    >

    > If that doesn't fix it, then it may be in your Windows mouse driver.
    > The Windows mouse driver may be configured so that the scrollwheel
    > sends what is really Shift+scrollwheel to Firefox.

    Well, two heads are better than one...

    The mousewheel.withnokey.action (as well as all mousewheel. values) is
    at the default setting of 0,
    so I went to control panel and looked at the mouse settings.

    The scrollwheel was set to scroll *****2**** lines of text per click. I
    thought, what the heck, changed that to 0, and, almost automagically,
    after months of fiddling and frustration, it is working properly (IMHO)
    again!

    Thanks Ralph, and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

    Richard, Dec 31, 2007
  5. Richard

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:18:05 -1000, in message <47796aa8$0$28822$>,
    Richard wrote:

    > The scrollwheel was set to scroll *****2**** lines of text per click. I
    > thought, what the heck, changed that to 0, and, almost automagically,
    > after months of fiddling and frustration, it is working properly (IMHO)
    > again!
    >
    > Thanks Ralph, and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

    That is good to hear. NgÄ mihi o te Tau Hou!

    Ralph Fox, Jan 1, 2008