FF 3.0 Beta 4 and Profiles

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Dan C, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and
    moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF
    installed and put it in the appropriate place. Second
    machine has an old profile from FF 2.0

    When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use
    that profile and I got the following error message: "FF
    is already running, but not responding. To open a new
    window, you must first close the existing FF process, or
    restart your system." By removing the profile in question
    and replacing the profile it picked up from FF 2, FF3
    opens with no problem.

    Checking task manager does not show any FF activity.

    How do I get around this problem

    Thanks in advance,

    Dan C

    Dan C, Apr 1, 2008

  2. Dan C wrote:
    > I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and
    > moved that profile to another machine with the SAME FF
    > installed and put it in the appropriate place. Second
    > machine has an old profile from FF 2.0
    >
    > When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use
    > that profile and I got the following error message: "FF
    > is already running, but not responding. To open a new
    > window, you must first close the existing FF process, or
    > restart your system." By removing the profile in question
    > and replacing the profile it picked up from FF 2, FF3
    > opens with no problem.
    >
    > Checking task manager does not show any FF activity.
    >
    > How do I get around this problem
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Dan C

    locate and delete the file parent.lock or .parentlock or
    something similar. If FF is running, then you should see
    that file. When FF has shut down properly, then you
    shouldn't see it.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 1, 2008

  3. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and moved that
    >> profile to another machine with the SAME FF installed and put it in
    >> the appropriate place. Second machine has an old profile from FF 2.0
    >>
    >> When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use that
    >> profile and I got the following error message: "FF is already
    >> running, but not responding. To open a new window, you must first
    >> close the existing FF process, or restart your system." By removing
    >> the profile in question and replacing the profile it picked up from FF
    >> 2, FF3 opens with no problem.
    >>
    >> Checking task manager does not show any FF activity.
    >>
    >> How do I get around this problem
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Dan C

    > locate and delete the file parent.lock or .parentlock or something
    > similar. If FF is running, then you should see that file. When FF has
    > shut down properly, then you shouldn't see it.

    The file does not exist when FF is shut down. When FF is
    running it is present, but FF will not allow it to be
    deleted because it is being used by FF.

    What to do??

    Dan C, Apr 2, 2008
  4. Dan C wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote with clarity and wisdom:
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>> I located my profile in FF 3.0 Beta 4, made a copy and moved that
    >>> profile to another machine with the SAME FF installed and put it in
    >>> the appropriate place. Second machine has an old profile from FF 2.0
    >>>
    >>> When I started FF3 on the second machine, it would not use that
    >>> profile and I got the following error message: "FF is already
    >>> running, but not responding. To open a new window, you must first
    >>> close the existing FF process, or restart your system." By removing
    >>> the profile in question and replacing the profile it picked up from FF
    >>> 2, FF3 opens with no problem.
    >>>
    >>> Checking task manager does not show any FF activity.
    >>>
    >>> How do I get around this problem
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>>
    >>> Dan C

    >> locate and delete the file parent.lock or .parentlock or something
    >> similar. If FF is running, then you should see that file. When FF has
    >> shut down properly, then you shouldn't see it.
    >>

    > The file does not exist when FF is shut down. When FF is
    > running it is present, but FF will not allow it to be
    > deleted because it is being used by FF.
    >
    > What to do??

    so, you've closed FF. Then you go to restart it, and you
    get the message "FF is already running," correct? You've
    looked in the Task Manager, and you don't see it there,
    correct? Then you should be able to locate the parent.lock
    file within the Profile. If its there, then it means FF
    hasn't shut down properly, and you should be able to delete
    it, then restart FF. You're saying you can't do that? You
    can't delete it? If so, then windows is the problem.

    Then I'm sorry, I can't help you any more. FF 3.x is not
    officially out yet, and its still in the developmental and
    testing stage. FF 2.0.0.13 is an offical release product.

    My suggestion is for you to go and ask for help on the
    official Firefox support group of mozilla.support.firefox
    which is on the news.mozilla.org server.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 2, 2008