    the whole process takes several seconds, and it's annoying.
    what's going on? it didn't do that before I reformatted.

    thanks!
    sherlock62, Jul 9, 2007

  2. sherlock62

    Ed Mullen Guest

    sherlock62 wrote:
    > I recently reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro.
    > I use an html file on my hard drive as my home page, but I've tried
    > making google my home page and the same thing
    > happens: FF 2.0.0.4 loads my home page right away, but with nothing
    > in the address bar. Then I get a white screen. then I get Firefox
    > with my homepage and its address in the address bar.
    >
    > the whole process takes several seconds, and it's annoying.
    > what's going on? it didn't do that before I reformatted.

    Try running in Safe Mode. Same thing?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 9, 2007

  3. sherlock62

    Tom Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > sherlock62 wrote:
    >> I recently reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro.
    >> I use an html file on my hard drive as my home page, but I've tried
    >> making google my home page and the same thing
    >> happens: FF 2.0.0.4 loads my home page right away, but with nothing
    >> in the address bar. Then I get a white screen. then I get Firefox
    >> with my homepage and its address in the address bar.
    >>
    >> the whole process takes several seconds, and it's annoying.
    >> what's going on? it didn't do that before I reformatted.

    > Try running in Safe Mode. Same thing?

    thanks for the help. No problem in safe mode. works fine. now what?
    Tom, Jul 9, 2007
  4. Tom wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> sherlock62 wrote:
    >>> I recently reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro.
    >>> I use an html file on my hard drive as my home page, but I've tried
    >>> making google my home page and the same thing
    >>> happens: FF 2.0.0.4 loads my home page right away, but with nothing
    >>> in the address bar. Then I get a white screen. then I get Firefox
    >>> with my homepage and its address in the address bar.
    >>>
    >>> the whole process takes several seconds, and it's annoying.
    >>> what's going on? it didn't do that before I reformatted.

    >> Try running in Safe Mode. Same thing?

    > thanks for the help. No problem in safe mode. works fine. now what?

    then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click
    on Tools, add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does
    the problem remain?

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 9, 2007
  5. sherlock62

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Tom wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Try running in Safe Mode. Same thing?

    >> thanks for the help. No problem in safe mode. works fine. now what?

    > then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
    > add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?

    The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
    (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
    restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
    the effect.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 9, 2007
  6. sherlock62

    Tom Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Tom wrote:

    >>> thanks for the help. No problem in safe mode. works fine. now what?

    >> then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
    >> add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?
    >>

    > The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
    > (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
    > restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
    > the effect.

    I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all extensions;
    the only theme I have is the default.
    Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
    suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
    FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?
    Tom, Jul 9, 2007
  7. Tom wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
    >>> add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?
    >>>

    >> The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
    >> (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
    >> restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
    >> the effect.

    > I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all extensions;
    > the only theme I have is the default.
    > Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
    > suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
    > FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?

    first, stop uninstalling FF and reinstalling it. Its a waste
    of time. The problem is your profile. This is where all
    your settings, prefs, extensions, etc, are stored.

    Close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run
    and enter:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will bring up the FF profile manager. Create a test
    profile. Does the problem continue in this fresh profile?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jul 9, 2007
  8. sherlock62

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Tom wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which
    >>> one (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must
    >>> be restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to
    >>> see the effect.

    >> I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all
    >> extensions; the only theme I have is the default.
    >> Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
    >> suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
    >> FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?
    >>

    > first, stop uninstalling FF and reinstalling it. Its a waste of time.
    > The problem is your profile. This is where all your settings, prefs,
    > extensions, etc, are stored.
    >
    > Close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -p
    >
    > this will bring up the FF profile manager. Create a test profile. Does
    > the problem continue in this fresh profile?

    And, if the problem does NOT exist in a fresh profile, then (running
    that fresh profile) start re-installing themes and extensions,
    one-by-one, restarting Firefox after each install and that will tell you
    if the issue is with one of them, and which one. Then we can deal with
    restoring your bookmarks, passwords and other critical data.

    As Peter indicated, there is likely nothing in this installation of the
    program involved: It's most likely something that is corrupted or
    installed into your profile
    (http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html) is causing the problem.

    Uninstalling (and re-installing) Firefox does not impact or touch your
    profile files in any way, only the files in the program installation
    location.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 10, 2007
  9. sherlock62

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
    >>> add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?
    >>>

    >> The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
    >> (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
    >> restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
    >> the effect.

    > I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all extensions;
    > the only theme I have is the default.
    > Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
    > suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
    > FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?

    Try this (well, you said "ANY other ideas", didn't you?) Opening your
    original profile (the one with the problem), go to Tools / Options,
    select the Main tab, and highlight and select the entire contents of the
    Home Page field, and paste it into a response message between two
    delimiters (like |http://www.fnord.org/|). It's possible that there is
    something in the contents of your home page field that is incorrect.

    --
    Andy Luddy
    Perform appendectomy to reply
    Andy Luddy, Jul 10, 2007
  10. sherlock62

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
    >>> add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?
    >>>

    >> The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
    >> (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
    >> restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
    >> the effect.

    > I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all extensions;
    > the only theme I have is the default.
    > Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
    > suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
    > FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?

    If the problem went away in Safe Mode, close FF and then create a new
    profile using Profile Manager. You can move your bookmarks, passwords
    and form data to the new profile. Here's a link to help with that:

    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 10, 2007
  11. sherlock62

    sherlock62 Guest

    Thanks very much for the help, guys. I created a new profile, then
    gradually added the plugins I wanted. I'm fine, and I appreciate this
    group!

    Tom
    sherlock62, Jul 13, 2007