    2. How do I stop BBC from setting a live bookmark within FF w.o my
    permission? It seems to be able to do that when I manually visit the
    site to read various articles.

    Z., Aug 9, 2006

  2. Z.

    Mumia W. Guest

    Re: FF 1.5.0.6: Deleted "Latest Headlines" but BBC keeps settinga live bookmark

    On 08/09/2006 05:49 AM, Z. wrote:
    > Some time back, I deleted the "Latest Headlines" RSS feed icon on the
    > bookmarks toolbar folder to get rid of a BBC Live Bookmark.
    >
    > That seemed to work. But now I'm see a bbc.co.uk cookie again when I
    > restart FF after flushing all cookies and shutting down FF.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1. How do I get the "Latest Headlines" icon back on the bookmarks toolbar?

    Go to the BBC web site and right-click on the RSS feed icon.
    After you've added the feed to the bookmarks, you'd use the
    bookmarks manager to move the feed's bookmark to the bookmarks
    toolbar.

    > 2. How do I stop BBC from setting a live bookmark within FF w.o my
    > permission? It seems to be able to do that when I manually visit the
    > site to read various articles.

    The BBC can't do that. They can set a cookie if you allow it.
    You can set FF to delete all cookies when FF exits, or you can
    block all cookies from the BBC. Look in the privacy options.

    Mumia W., Aug 9, 2006

  3. Z.

    Z. Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    >> Some time back, I deleted the "Latest Headlines" RSS feed icon on the
    >> bookmarks toolbar folder to get rid of a BBC Live Bookmark.
    >>
    >> That seemed to work. But now I'm see a bbc.co.uk cookie again when I
    >> restart FF after flushing all cookies and shutting down FF.
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >>
    >> 1. How do I get the "Latest Headlines" icon back on the bookmarks
    >> toolbar?
    >>

    > Go to the BBC web site and right-click on the RSS feed icon. After
    > you've added the feed to the bookmarks, you'd use the bookmarks manager
    > to move the feed's bookmark to the bookmarks toolbar.

    Maybe I'm not being clear about what I want to do.

    Your instructions got me a BBC bookmark on the bookmarks toolbar. I do
    *not* want the RSS feed from the BBC. I want the "Latest Headlines" icon
    that came with FF (and which I deleted manually) back on the bookmarks
    toolbar.

    In fact, I must already have an RSS feed from the BBC since I get a damn
    BBC cookie every time I start FF (my home page is set to about:blank)

    I want to see and remove that live bookmark. And, as far as I know, the
    way to see the live bookmarks is with the "Latest Headlines' icon.

    >> 2. How do I stop BBC from setting a live bookmark within FF w.o my
    >> permission? It seems to be able to do that when I manually visit the
    >> site to read various articles.

    > The BBC can't do that. They can set a cookie if you allow it. You can
    > set FF to delete all cookies when FF exits, or you can block all cookies
    > from the BBC. Look in the privacy options.

    Well, I can tell you that I did *not* click on any RSS icons on any BBC
    pages (or any pages), but whenever I start FF, I get a new cookie from
    bbc.co.uk so FF must be connecting to that site.

    Z., Aug 9, 2006
  4. Z.

    On 08/09/2006 01:37 PM, Z. wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >>> Some time back, I deleted the "Latest Headlines" RSS feed icon on the
    >>> bookmarks toolbar folder to get rid of a BBC Live Bookmark.
    >>>
    >>> That seemed to work. But now I'm see a bbc.co.uk cookie again when I
    >>> restart FF after flushing all cookies and shutting down FF.
    >>>
    >>> Two questions:
    >>>
    >>> 1. How do I get the "Latest Headlines" icon back on the bookmarks
    >>> toolbar?
    >>>

    >> Go to the BBC web site and right-click on the RSS feed icon. After
    >> you've added the feed to the bookmarks, you'd use the bookmarks
    >> manager to move the feed's bookmark to the bookmarks toolbar.

    > Maybe I'm not being clear about what I want to do.
    >
    > Your instructions got me a BBC bookmark on the bookmarks toolbar. I do
    > *not* want the RSS feed from the BBC. I want the "Latest Headlines" icon
    > that came with FF (and which I deleted manually) back on the bookmarks
    > toolbar.

    I had assumed that the "Latest Headlines" came from the BBC; I
    was wrong. To get the feed back, go into this: Bookmarks
    Manager/File/New Live Bookmark. Enter this for the URL:
    http://fxfeeds.mozilla.com/rss20.xml

    > In fact, I must already have an RSS feed from the BBC since I get a damn
    > BBC cookie every time I start FF (my home page is set to about:blank)
    >
    > I want to see and remove that live bookmark. And, as far as I know, the
    > way to see the live bookmarks is with the "Latest Headlines' icon.

    First delete the cookie, then look through every folder in
    your bookmarks manager that links to the BBC RSS feed. To
    discern whether a folder is a normal folder or an RSS feed,
    right click it; if you see a context-menu item name "Reload
    Live Bookmark" that's an RSS feed.

    >>> 2. How do I stop BBC from setting a live bookmark within FF w.o my
    >>> permission? It seems to be able to do that when I manually visit the
    >>> site to read various articles.

    >> The BBC can't do that. They can set a cookie if you allow it. You can
    >> set FF to delete all cookies when FF exits, or you can block all
    >> cookies from the BBC. Look in the privacy options.

    > Well, I can tell you that I did *not* click on any RSS icons on any BBC
    > pages (or any pages), but whenever I start FF, I get a new cookie from
    > bbc.co.uk so FF must be connecting to that site.

    Yes, the BBC is in the bookmarks someplace.

    Mumia W., Aug 9, 2006
  5. Z.

    Z. Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > Yes, the BBC is in the bookmarks someplace.

    Ok, I just searched my bookmarks.html for "bbc.". I didn't use the
    Bookmarks Manager Search function - that only seems to search within the
    bookmark name - I used an editor on the entire .html file.

    The search yielded NO HITS. bbc. appears nowhere in my bookmarks.html file.

    Yet (and I just checked again), every time I start FF, I get a new
    cookie from bbc.co.uk. It takes about 15 seconds from the time FF
    starts up until the cookie appears.

    How is this happening?!

    Z., Aug 11, 2006
  6. Z.

    gwtc Guest

    Z. wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >> Yes, the BBC is in the bookmarks someplace.

    > Ok, I just searched my bookmarks.html for "bbc.". I didn't use the
    > Bookmarks Manager Search function - that only seems to search within the
    > bookmark name - I used an editor on the entire .html file.
    >
    > The search yielded NO HITS. bbc. appears nowhere in my bookmarks.html
    > file.
    >
    > Yet (and I just checked again), every time I start FF, I get a new
    > cookie from bbc.co.uk. It takes about 15 seconds from the time FF
    > starts up until the cookie appears.
    >
    > How is this happening?!

    what extensions have you got? Maybe one of them is causing it.

    what programs have you got running in the background? Maybe one of
    them is causing it.

    have you checked your cookies? Maybe you've got a roaming cookie.

    --
    EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

    You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

    Copiers are Female, because once turned off; it takes a while to warm
    them up again. It's an effective reproductive device if the right
    buttons are pushed, but can wreak havoc if the wrong buttons are pushed.

    gwtc, Aug 11, 2006
  7. Z.

    Z. Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    >>> Yes, the BBC is in the bookmarks someplace.

    >> Ok, I just searched my bookmarks.html for "bbc.". I didn't use the
    >> Bookmarks Manager Search function - that only seems to search within
    >> the bookmark name - I used an editor on the entire .html file.
    >>
    >> The search yielded NO HITS. bbc. appears nowhere in my bookmarks.html
    >> file.
    >>
    >> Yet (and I just checked again), every time I start FF, I get a new
    >> cookie from bbc.co.uk. It takes about 15 seconds from the time FF
    >> starts up until the cookie appears.
    >>
    >> How is this happening?!

    > what extensions have you got? Maybe one of them is causing it.

    With all extensions disabled, the cookie still appears after approx 15
    seconds.

    > what programs have you got running in the background? Maybe one of them
    > is causing it.

    This cookie must be coming from Firefox. It always appears 14-16 seconds
    after I start FF. And if I delete the cookie, it doesn't reappear until
    I restart Firefox again.

    > have you checked your cookies? Maybe you've got a roaming cookie.

    How can I tell if the cookie is roaming?

    The cookie's information is:
    Site: bbc.co.uk
    Name: BBC-UID
    Content: b4248... <rest of hex bytes deleted>
    Domain: .bbc.co.uk
    Send for: Any type of connection
    Expires: at end of session

    Z., Aug 11, 2006
  8. Z.

    On 08/11/2006 08:11 AM, Z. wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Z. wrote:
    >>> Ok, I just searched my bookmarks.html for "bbc.". I didn't use the
    >>> Bookmarks Manager Search function - that only seems to search within
    >>> the bookmark name - I used an editor on the entire .html file.
    >>>
    >>> The search yielded NO HITS. bbc. appears nowhere in my
    >>> bookmarks.html file.
    >>>
    >>> Yet (and I just checked again), every time I start FF, I get a new
    >>> cookie from bbc.co.uk. It takes about 15 seconds from the time FF
    >>> starts up until the cookie appears.
    >>>
    >>> How is this happening?!

    >> what extensions have you got? Maybe one of them is causing it.

    > With all extensions disabled, the cookie still appears after approx 15
    > seconds.
    >

    >> what programs have you got running in the background? Maybe one of
    >> them is causing it.

    > This cookie must be coming from Firefox. It always appears 14-16 seconds
    > after I start FF. And if I delete the cookie, it doesn't reappear until
    > I restart Firefox again.
    >

    >> have you checked your cookies? Maybe you've got a roaming cookie.

    > How can I tell if the cookie is roaming?
    >
    > The cookie's information is:
    > Site: bbc.co.uk
    > Name: BBC-UID
    > Content: b4248... <rest of hex bytes deleted>
    > Domain: .bbc.co.uk
    > Send for: Any type of connection
    > Expires: at end of session

    Remove the extensions. The "disabled" extensions might still
    be active in some way.

    What is your home page?

    What extensions have you installed?

    Mumia W., Aug 11, 2006
  9. Z.

    Z. Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 08/11/2006 08:11 AM, Z. wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> what extensions have you got? Maybe one of them is causing it.

    >> With all extensions disabled, the cookie still appears after approx 15
    >> seconds.
    >>

    >>> what programs have you got running in the background? Maybe one of
    >>> them is causing it.

    >> This cookie must be coming from Firefox. It always appears 14-16
    >> seconds after I start FF. And if I delete the cookie, it doesn't
    >> reappear until I restart Firefox again.
    >>

    >>> have you checked your cookies? Maybe you've got a roaming cookie.

    >> How can I tell if the cookie is roaming?
    >>
    >> The cookie's information is:
    >> Site: bbc.co.uk
    >> Name: BBC-UID
    >> Content: b4248... <rest of hex bytes deleted>
    >> Domain: .bbc.co.uk
    >> Send for: Any type of connection
    >> Expires: at end of session

    > Remove the extensions. The "disabled" extensions might still be active
    > in some way.
    >
    > What is your home page?
    >
    > What extensions have you installed?

    Homepage:
    about:blank.

    Extensions installed:
    Talkback 1.5.0.6
    Adblock v.5
    DownThemAll 0.9.9.6.3
    TinyURL Creator 1.0.2
    Gmail Notifier 0.5.6.3
    Forecastfox 0.9.3
    Adblock Filterset G Updater 0.3.0.4
    Flashblock 1.5.1

    I could not uninstall Talkback, but I uninstalled all the others and I'm
    *still* getting a BBC_UID cookie 15 seconds after I start Firefox.

    Z., Aug 12, 2006
  10. Z.

    gwtc Guest

    Z. wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:

    >>> With all extensions disabled, the cookie still appears after approx
    >>> 15 seconds.

    >>> This cookie must be coming from Firefox. It always appears 14-16
    >>> seconds after I start FF. And if I delete the cookie, it doesn't
    >>> reappear until I restart Firefox again.

    >>> How can I tell if the cookie is roaming?
    >>>
    >>> The cookie's information is:
    >>> Site: bbc.co.uk
    >>> Name: BBC-UID
    >>> Content: b4248... <rest of hex bytes deleted>
    >>> Domain: .bbc.co.uk
    >>> Send for: Any type of connection
    >>> Expires: at end of session

    >> Remove the extensions. The "disabled" extensions might still be active
    >> in some way.
    >>
    >> What is your home page?
    >>
    >> What extensions have you installed?

    > Homepage:
    > about:blank.
    >
    > Extensions installed:
    > Talkback 1.5.0.6
    > Adblock v.5
    > DownThemAll 0.9.9.6.3
    > TinyURL Creator 1.0.2
    > Gmail Notifier 0.5.6.3
    > Forecastfox 0.9.3
    > Adblock Filterset G Updater 0.3.0.4
    > Flashblock 1.5.1
    >
    > I could not uninstall Talkback, but I uninstalled all the others and I'm
    > *still* getting a BBC_UID cookie 15 seconds after I start Firefox.

    when you searched your bookmarks, did you search within the name of
    the bookmark or the location?

    Also, what other programs are you running in the backgroud? Have you
    scanned for malware, virus, trojans, spyware, etc?

    --
    EVERYTHING HAS A GENDER

    You may not know this but many nonliving things have a gender...

    A Hot Air Balloon is Male, because, to get it to go anywhere, you have
    to light a fire under it, and of course, there's the hot air part.

    gwtc, Aug 12, 2006
  11. Z.

    On 08/10/2006 10:44 PM, Z. wrote:
    > Mumia W. wrote:
    >> Yes, the BBC is in the bookmarks someplace.

    > Ok, I just searched my bookmarks.html for "bbc.". I didn't use the
    > Bookmarks Manager Search function - that only seems to search within the
    > bookmark name - I used an editor on the entire .html file.
    >
    > The search yielded NO HITS. bbc. appears nowhere in my bookmarks.html
    > file.
    >
    > Yet (and I just checked again), every time I start FF, I get a new
    > cookie from bbc.co.uk. It takes about 15 seconds from the time FF
    > starts up until the cookie appears.
    >
    > How is this happening?!

    Perhaps you could do a case-insensitive search, because
    HTTP://BBC.CO.UK/ is just as valid as http://bbc.co.uk/.

    Mumia W., Aug 12, 2006
  12. Z.

    On 08/12/2006 06:32 AM, Z. wrote:

    > Homepage:
    > about:blank.
    >
    > Extensions installed:
    > Talkback 1.5.0.6
    > Adblock v.5
    > DownThemAll 0.9.9.6.3
    > TinyURL Creator 1.0.2
    > Gmail Notifier 0.5.6.3
    > Forecastfox 0.9.3
    > Adblock Filterset G Updater 0.3.0.4
    > Flashblock 1.5.1
    >
    > I could not uninstall Talkback, but I uninstalled all the others and I'm
    > *still* getting a BBC_UID cookie 15 seconds after I start Firefox.

    This is getting weird. What I would do is to copy my bookmarks
    file to a new location, then delete *every* bookmark from
    within Firefox.

    Also, create a new profile in Firefox and see if it happens
    with the new profile.

    If you get exasperated, you can just block cookies from
    bbc.co.uk: Go into Tools/Options/Privacy/Cookies/. Click (to
    set) "unless I've removed cookies by this site." Then click
    "view cookies" and remove the bbc.co.uk cookie.

    Mumia W., Aug 12, 2006
  13. Z.

    Z. Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Z. wrote:
    >> Mumia W. wrote:

    >>> Remove the extensions. The "disabled" extensions might still be
    >>> active in some way.
    >>>
    >>> What is your home page?
    >>>
    >>> What extensions have you installed?

    >> Homepage:
    >> about:blank.
    >>
    >> Extensions installed:
    >> Talkback 1.5.0.6
    >> Adblock v.5
    >> DownThemAll 0.9.9.6.3
    >> TinyURL Creator 1.0.2
    >> Gmail Notifier 0.5.6.3
    >> Forecastfox 0.9.3
    >> Adblock Filterset G Updater 0.3.0.4
    >> Flashblock 1.5.1
    >>
    >> I could not uninstall Talkback, but I uninstalled all the others and
    >> I'm *still* getting a BBC_UID cookie 15 seconds after I start Firefox.

    > when you searched your bookmarks, did you search within the name of the
    > bookmark or the location?

    I searched the bookmarks.html file with a text editor.

    > Also, what other programs are you running in the backgroud? Have you
    > scanned for malware, virus, trojans, spyware, etc?

    About 100 (or more) XP services are running.

    --
    I don't live at sea level, I live at the beach!

    Z., Aug 20, 2006
  14. Z.

    Z. Guest

    Mumia W. wrote:
    > On 08/12/2006 06:32 AM, Z. wrote:
    >>
    >> Homepage:
    >> about:blank.
    >>
    >> Extensions installed:
    >> Talkback 1.5.0.6
    >> Adblock v.5
    >> DownThemAll 0.9.9.6.3
    >> TinyURL Creator 1.0.2
    >> Gmail Notifier 0.5.6.3
    >> Forecastfox 0.9.3
    >> Adblock Filterset G Updater 0.3.0.4
    >> Flashblock 1.5.1
    >>
    >> I could not uninstall Talkback, but I uninstalled all the others and
    >> I'm *still* getting a BBC_UID cookie 15 seconds after I start Firefox.

    > This is getting weird. What I would do is to copy my bookmarks file to a
    > new location, then delete *every* bookmark from within Firefox.
    >
    > Also, create a new profile in Firefox and see if it happens with the new
    > profile.
    >
    > If you get exasperated, you can just block cookies from bbc.co.uk: Go
    > into Tools/Options/Privacy/Cookies/. Click (to set) "unless I've removed
    > cookies by this site." Then click "view cookies" and remove the
    > bbc.co.uk cookie.

    I'll try the 2 suggestions soon: renaming the bookmarks.html file and
    also creating a new profile and report the results back.

    re: blocking the cookie
    I could do that but it's not the cookie that's the real problem. It's
    that FF is going to the BBC site every time I start it.

    --
    I do NOT live at sea level, I live at the beach!

    Z., Aug 20, 2006
  15. Z.

    Z. Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Z. wrote:
    >> Mumia W. wrote:

    >>> Remove the extensions. The "disabled" extensions might still be
    >>> active in some way.
    >>>
    >>> What is your home page?
    >>>
    >>> What extensions have you installed?

    >> Homepage:
    >> about:blank.
    >>
    >> Extensions installed:
    >> Talkback 1.5.0.6
    >> Adblock v.5
    >> DownThemAll 0.9.9.6.3
    >> TinyURL Creator 1.0.2
    >> Gmail Notifier 0.5.6.3
    >> Forecastfox 0.9.3
    >> Adblock Filterset G Updater 0.3.0.4
    >> Flashblock 1.5.1
    >>
    >> I could not uninstall Talkback, but I uninstalled all the others and
    >> I'm *still* getting a BBC_UID cookie 15 seconds after I start Firefox.

    > when you searched your bookmarks, did you search within the name of the
    > bookmark or the location?
    >
    > Also, what other programs are you running in the backgroud? Have you
    > scanned for malware, virus, trojans, spyware, etc?

    I run AVG anti-virus and Windows Defender in real-time mode and also
    scan daily with both. This past week I ran Root Kit Revealer. No malware
    of any kind was found.

    --
    I do NOT live at sea level, I live at the beach!

    Z., Aug 20, 2006