    I better get broadband
    Hallelujah! My shopping prayers are answered
    I wonder what my credit card limit is?
    rupert, Nov 28, 2005

  2. rupert

    rupert Guest

    sheesh it's even crappier than i imagined - it's not even if you can buy
    anything on the actual site, all it does it take you to the website of the
    company that will sell you the item

    rupert, Nov 28, 2005

  3. rupert

    BTMO Guest

    "rupert" <> wrote

    > sheesh it's even crappier than i imagined - it's not even if you can buy
    > anything on the actual site, all it does it take you to the website of the
    > company that will sell you the item

    And did you notice that if you go to www.telecom.co.nz, and enter "ferrit"
    into the search box, you get...

    "No matches for ferrit"

    Ah... Telecom...

    If only they understood the meaning of the word "integrated".
    BTMO, Nov 28, 2005
  4. rupert

    Chris Hope Guest

    rupert wrote:

    > sheesh it's even crappier than i imagined - it's not even if you can
    > buy anything on the actual site, all it does it take you to the
    > website of the company that will sell you the item

    The plan is to eventually make it a shopping cart system so you can buy
    the items from multiple stores all through the ferrit site. From the
    pricing model I've seen they're expecting too much $$ from the retailer
    for it to ever work. I predict a big drop off of retailers once they
    introduce it.

    Chris Hope, Nov 28, 2005
  5. rupert

    XPD Guest

    "rupert" <> wrote in message
    > sheesh it's even crappier than i imagined - it's not even if you can buy
    > anything on the actual site, all it does it take you to the website of the
    > company that will sell you the item

    Hmm pretty shite alright.... can already do my shopping research via google
    thanks telecon/fuxtra..... :)
    Its not much help either though when the retailers own website is out of
    date... was talking to the webmaster of one of the retailers on ferrit
    earlier today and he said he'd been really slack at updating the site LOL
    XPD, Nov 28, 2005
  6. rupert

    joe_90 Guest

    rupert wrote:
    > Hmmmm, telescum's latest attempt at a shopping portal....
    >
    > Nice survey they had on the main page - what about the option .... Stop
    > F.ing around and give us proper broadband, not the crappy expensive stuff
    > you offer now
    >
    > What did you think when you first heard of Ferrit? Get down the dairy and
    > stock up on coffee
    > Online shopping? But I love queuing in shops!
    > I better get broadband
    > Hallelujah! My shopping prayers are answered
    > I wonder what my credit card limit is?

    I note they are not brave enough to have an 'other' option and let
    people enter their own response.

    Certainly none of them came close to mine :)
    joe_90, Nov 28, 2005
  7. rupert

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > rupert wrote:
    >

    >>sheesh it's even crappier than i imagined - it's not even if you can
    >>buy anything on the actual site, all it does it take you to the
    >>website of the company that will sell you the item

    > The plan is to eventually make it a shopping cart system so you can buy
    > the items from multiple stores all through the ferrit site. From the
    > pricing model I've seen they're expecting too much $$ from the retailer
    > for it to ever work. I predict a big drop off of retailers once they
    > introduce it.

    Have they thought this through? Where did they get their focus groups
    from? Why would I want to use the site, rather than go straight to a
    retailer - either by searching or recommendation, or for some things,
    Pricespy? Is this for lazy people? Or is it intended to benefit those
    located rurally - I could see the point of that. Or is it intended to
    pick up sales from aimless browsing?

    This thing is just such a mishmash of stuff, that I can't see I'll ever
    use it.

    What on earth makes Telecom think that this is anything to do with their
    core business?

    Given that the retailers they are pointing to must already have a web
    presence for this to work, what is the advantage to me as a customer?
    I'm sure I'll get a better deal if I go straight to the retailer.

    I see it is ferrit. not ferrit :) That's clever.
    -=rjh=-, Nov 28, 2005
  8. rupert

    XP Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:03:48 +1300, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >rupert wrote:
    >
    >> sheesh it's even crappier than i imagined - it's not even if you can
    >> buy anything on the actual site, all it does it take you to the
    >> website of the company that will sell you the item

    >The plan is to eventually make it a shopping cart system so you can buy
    >the items from multiple stores all through the ferrit site. From the
    >pricing model I've seen they're expecting too much $$ from the retailer
    >for it to ever work. I predict a big drop off of retailers once they
    >introduce it.

    Its like that Christmas Hamper Things, that firm was on Fair Go some years
    ago, as you got so little for your money, they did a check on what you got
    for your money and found out that the prices were higher than a local Dairy.
    XP, Nov 28, 2005
  9. rupert

    Chris Hope Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> rupert wrote:
    >>

    >>>sheesh it's even crappier than i imagined - it's not even if you can
    >>>buy anything on the actual site, all it does it take you to the
    >>>website of the company that will sell you the item

    >> The plan is to eventually make it a shopping cart system so you can
    >> buy the items from multiple stores all through the ferrit site. From
    >> the pricing model I've seen they're expecting too much $$ from the
    >> retailer for it to ever work. I predict a big drop off of retailers
    >> once they introduce it.

    > Have they thought this through? Where did they get their focus groups
    > from?

    > Why would I want to use the site, rather than go straight to a
    > retailer - either by searching or recommendation, or for some things,

    What if you don't know which retailers stock the products you want?

    > Pricespy? Is this for lazy people? Or is it intended to benefit those
    > located rurally - I could see the point of that. Or is it intended to
    > pick up sales from aimless browsing?

    I think the idea is that, assuming they get enough retailers of similar
    products, you can go search for products and find all the sites in NZ
    that stock those products, and get a price comparison at the same time.
    Yes, it makes it a bit like pricespy, but pricespy is limited to a
    small range of products.

    > This thing is just such a mishmash of stuff, that I can't see I'll
    > ever use it.
    >
    > What on earth makes Telecom think that this is anything to do with
    > their core business?
    >
    > Given that the retailers they are pointing to must already have a web
    > presence for this to work, what is the advantage to me as a customer?
    > I'm sure I'll get a better deal if I go straight to the retailer.

    It gives them an additional advertising channel. They're all fairly high
    profile retailers on the site at the moment but now it's actually
    launched I think you'll start to see more come on board which have a
    lower profile.

    Chris Hope, Nov 28, 2005
  10. rupert

    Chris Hope Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "rupert" <> wrote in message
    >> sheesh it's even crappier than i imagined - it's not even if you can
    >> buy anything on the actual site, all it does it take you to the
    >> website of the company that will sell you the item

    > Hmm pretty shite alright.... can already do my shopping research via
    > google thanks telecon/fuxtra..... :)
    > Its not much help either though when the retailers own website is out
    > of date... was talking to the webmaster of one of the retailers on
    > ferrit earlier today and he said he'd been really slack at updating
    > the site LOL

    When I spoke to one of the people there about two months ago I thought
    you put an XML file up on your site (which assuming it's a database
    driven site means you never have to manually update anything) and they
    just perodically spider it.

    But I had a quick look through their documentation this morning and it
    appears that you have to manually upload the file or email it. This can
    of course be automatic, but you have to set up a process for this
    instead of them just grabbing the data.

    If I had set their system up I would have done it my way (ie they spider
    the site for the XML file). What's the point of having retailers'
    products on your site if you have to rely so much on them keeping your
    data up to date? The pricespy guy is much more switched on.

    Chris Hope, Nov 28, 2005
  11. BTMO wrote:
    > "rupert" <> wrote
    >

    >>sheesh it's even crappier than i imagined - it's not even if you can buy
    >>anything on the actual site, all it does it take you to the website of the
    >>company that will sell you the item

    > And did you notice that if you go to www.telecom.co.nz, and enter "ferrit"
    > into the search box, you get...
    >
    > "No matches for ferrit"
    >
    > Ah... Telecom...
    >
    > If only they understood the meaning of the word "integrated".

    Integrated is that where I take the head of Xtra and shove his head up the arse
    of the head of telecom.
    :cool: Dam I forgot thats where it is already.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Collector»NZ, Nov 28, 2005
  12. rupert

    BTMO Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote

    >> If only they understood the meaning of the word "integrated".
    >>

    > Integrated is that where I take the head of Xtra and shove his head up the
    > arse of the head of telecom.
    > :cool: Dam I forgot thats where it is already.

    -nods sagely-

    I see you know them....
    BTMO, Nov 28, 2005
  13. rupert wrote:
    > Hmmmm, telescum's latest attempt at a shopping portal....
    >
    > Nice survey they had on the main page - what about the option .... Stop
    > F.ing around and give us proper broadband, not the crappy expensive stuff
    > you offer now
    >
    > What did you think when you first heard of Ferrit? Get down the dairy and
    > stock up on coffee
    > Online shopping? But I love queuing in shops!
    > I better get broadband
    > Hallelujah! My shopping prayers are answered
    > I wonder what my credit card limit is?

    I have not had a good look, but why the f would I use ferrit there is no or
    less advantage than using the original suppliers directly.....

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Collector»NZ, Nov 28, 2005
  14. rupert

    BTMO Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote

    > I have not had a good look, but why the f would I use ferrit there is no
    > or less advantage than using the original suppliers directly.....

    Telecom business model...

    "there is one born every minute"?
    BTMO, Nov 28, 2005
  15. rupert

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:52:32 +1300, "rupert" <>
    wrote:

    >Hmmmm, telescum's latest attempt at a shopping portal....
    >
    >Nice survey they had on the main page - what about the option .... Stop
    >F.ing around and give us proper broadband, not the crappy expensive stuff
    >you offer now
    >
    >What did you think when you first heard of Ferrit? Get down the dairy and
    >stock up on coffee
    >Online shopping? But I love queuing in shops!
    >I better get broadband
    >Hallelujah! My shopping prayers are answered
    >I wonder what my credit card limit is?

    Google 'ferrit' and see what sponsored link appears at the top of the
    page. Good on you Trademe :)

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz
    Bruce Knox, Nov 28, 2005
  16. rupert

    PAM. Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Have they thought this through? Where did they get their focus groups
    > from? Why would I want to use the site, rather than go straight to a
    > retailer - either by searching or recommendation, or for some things,
    > Pricespy? Is this for lazy people? Or is it intended to benefit those
    > located rurally - I could see the point of that. Or is it intended to
    > pick up sales from aimless browsing?
    >
    > This thing is just such a mishmash of stuff, that I can't see I'll ever
    > use it.
    >
    > What on earth makes Telecom think that this is anything to do with their
    > core business?
    >
    > Given that the retailers they are pointing to must already have a web
    > presence for this to work, what is the advantage to me as a customer?
    > I'm sure I'll get a better deal if I go straight to the retailer.

    Telecom are a big company. They have clout. They are big and therefore
    trustworthy. They are not some dodgy fly-by-night dealer on the back
    streets. They would only deal with reputable companies.

    At least that's what grandma would say and no doubt the rest of the thicko
    world would say too.

    PAM.
    PAM., Nov 28, 2005
  17. rupert

    Steven H Guest

    Hello XPD,

    > date... was talking to the webmaster of one of the retailers on ferrit
    > earlier today and he said he'd been really slack at updating the site

    hmmm... really...

    can we possibly have the name of the company he works for, or at least his
    name if he is 'self employed' - that is so we all know to avoid him / them
    in any future developments ...

    'manually updating a website' .... for a large company with shytloads of
    warez (only ones on that crappy site atm) doing manual updates is just plain
    stupid.

    does he charge through the nose per hour to hammer the details through to
    the website ?

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Nov 28, 2005