Ferrari 5000 Vista x64 report

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Barb Bowman, Nov 11, 2006.

  1. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    The 5000 showed up today.
    Gorgeous fit and finish (all the ports and plugs and so on are on
    the opposite side from the 4000 so it took me a minute or so to
    adjust). Screen is reflective brite (as opposed to the more matte
    finish of the 4000).

    AMD (who sent this to me as an eval) swapped out the 5400 RPM drive
    for a 7200 RPM which is a real plus.

    I installed RC2 x64 on it with no issues at all. Clean install took
    42 minutes to running desktop. Three drivers missing:

    1) this 5000 had an Atheros a/g wireless. had to use ethernet to
    connect and windows update sent down the driver. broadcom's radio
    and driver (in the 4000) by comparison is speedier and more robust.
    not sure what Acer is shipping in the US, but it may well be
    Broadcom.

    2) the flash controller was yellow banged in devman, but the XP x64
    version for the 4000 installed fine

    3) the 5000 has a new orbicam built in. unfortunately, no driver to
    be found. looks to be a logitech PnP ID so hopefully some day..

    this thing FLIES. no it vr00000ms. it's very fast. i haven't had it
    long enough to compare file I/O and such against the single core
    4000.
    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Nov 11, 2006

  2. We're all jealous, of course, but thanks for the report. When you're done
    evaluating that one, you can send it on over here. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Not before me. :)
    --
    Andre
    Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 12, 2006
  4. Barb Bowman

    Dshai Guest

    Is "green-eyed" descriptive enough...;o)

    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Dshai, Nov 12, 2006
  5. Well, actually, there was one good piece of news in all this. Having just
    gotten my Ferrari 4005 upgraded to 2 GB (thanks, Micron!), I'm now looking
    for the next way to update it. Well, if they can put a 7200 RPM drive in
    Barb's without issue, then swapping out this 5400 on the Ferrari for a 7200
    Seagate Momentus should be just fine. They're still only 100 GB max for IDE
    (and that probably won't change), but once I get this second OS off of here,
    that won't be an issue. And the extra speed will be more than welcome.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 12, 2006
  6. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Nov 12, 2006
  7. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    right. and i partitioned it into two so that data is on the non
    system drive (gigs and gigs of music and pix and so on) so that when
    RTM is available, I can wipe C and get up and running fast.

    it's really a wondrous machine.

    Barb Bowman, Nov 12, 2006
  8. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    >Well, actually, there was one good piece of news in all this. Having just
    >gotten my Ferrari 4005 upgraded to 2 GB (thanks, Micron!), I'm now looking
    >for the next way to update it. Well, if they can put a 7200 RPM drive in
    >Barb's without issue, then swapping out this 5400 on the Ferrari for a
    >7200 Seagate Momentus should be just fine. They're still only 100 GB max
    >for IDE (and that probably won't change), but once I get this second OS
    >off of here, that won't be an issue. And the extra speed will be more than
    >welcome.

    I've been planning to move to a 7200rpm drive for some time - I'm just
    waiting for one bigger than 100Gb ("upgrading" to a same-size drive just
    feels wrong <g>). The perpendicular 7200rpm drives (with even better
    performance than "regular" 7200) should be just the ticket, if only they'd
    get the darn things out.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 12, 2006
  9. Unfortunately, Steve, they are out. But only in SATA. And there's no
    indication that they intend to do anything with them for IDE/PATA. <sigh>

    I'm going to just have to bite the bullet and "upgrade" to a same size
    drive. You're right, it seems wrong some how, but there it is.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 12, 2006
  10. Barb Bowman

    Barb Bowman Guest

    ok, having some issues coming back from sleep/hibernate/hybrid
    sleep. video does not restore. i'll email them since AMD now owns
    ATI.

    Barb Bowman, Nov 13, 2006
  11. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    >Unfortunately, Steve, they are out. But only in SATA. And there's no
    >indication that they intend to do anything with them for IDE/PATA. <sigh>

    From Seagate?

    I've been keeping an eye on their website, but other than the "overview"
    PDF for the (apparently SATA only) Momentus 7200.2 (which don't indicate
    whether the range is perpendicular or not), I can't find any datasheets or
    model details.

    The 7200.1 range is definitely not perpendicular.

    There are plenty of 5400rpm perpendicular drives, but 7200rpm seems to be
    stalled.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 13, 2006
  12. My understanding was that the 7200.2 were perpendicular, but I don't
    actually have any way to confirm that right now.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 14, 2006
  13. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    >My understanding was that the 7200.2 were perpendicular, but I don't
    >actually have any way to confirm that right now.

    And are they actually available? As I said, the Seagate site has no
    datasheet or model details for the 7200.2, and I can't find any listed at
    retailers (other than as "coming soon").

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 14, 2006
  14. I believe you are correct - they don't appear to actually be shipping yet.
    IAC, I'll go with the 7200.1 100GB if I have to. Especially since it doesn't
    look promising for a non-SATA version that's any larger.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 14, 2006
  15. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

    >I believe you are correct - they don't appear to actually be shipping yet.
    >IAC, I'll go with the 7200.1 100GB if I have to. Especially since it
    >doesn't look promising for a non-SATA version that's any larger.

    I have an existing 7200rpm 60Gb notebook drive (currently in an external
    enclosure) that I can use to delay the need to replace the internal drive
    for a while, plus if I can do away with the triple boot between XP32, XP64
    and Vista64 soon, that would also alleviate the pressure significantly
    (since I'd get back at least 10Gb, and possibly as much as 30Gb).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 14, 2006
  16. I already dumped the 32-bit XP. And I've got the 64bit XP strangled for
    space. What I need to do is move some more stuff off to an external HD. But
    I'm waiting to do anything new until I get the RTM build on here.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 14, 2006

  1. Silverstrand

    AMD's Ferrari collaboration at bit-tech.net