Feedback request - especially for writers

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gordon, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Hey all. My name is Gordon Meyer. I'm going to say up front that this is
    aimed mostly at screenwriters. I'm posting it here for two reasons. First
    of all, I know a lot of you either write yourself or know writers.
    Secondly, the concept you're going to read below applies to all artists,
    whether it's writers, actors, directors or anyone else in the performing
    arts.

    Like a lot of you, I've had a vision of writing and producing movies and TV
    shows that I'd be proud to put my name on. I'm one of the lucky ones who
    live in Los Angeles and have access to some great classes and seminars
    taught by working pros, including a BA in motion picture production from
    USC.

    I have to tell you, that as much as I got out of those classes, there was
    still a humongous gap between what I was being taught and what I really
    needed to know about creating a viable career for myself. I knew there was
    something missing, but I couldn't put my finger on what, until I started
    talking to some producers I had the opportunity to interview.

    I was completely focusing on the art of writing and producing while ignoring
    the business side. Lightbulb!

    I started studying the most successful people in the business and what they
    did and had countless discussions with a close friend whose mantra is "the
    key to success for any business is planning, procedure and proper
    execution." Another lightbulb!

    I decided to put all these thoughts on paper in what I call "The
    Screenwriter's Manifesto" so I could share what I learned. What can I say?
    I want to score brownie points with the gods of karma by helping others the
    way I would have liked to have been helped when I was starting out. Once
    again, even if you're not a writer, the ideas in "The Screenwriter's
    Manifesto" are relevant for you too!

    I'm at the point now where I'm looking for feedback. If you'll go to
    http://www.stiylagency.com/screenwriter/index.asp I'll send you a f ree copy
    as long as you agree to send me your comments after you've read it.

    Thanks all!
    Gordon, Sep 18, 2006