    welcomed
    Thanks
    SteveB...

    SteveB, Feb 8, 2004

  2. SteveB

    Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:18:33 GMT, "SteveB" <> wrote:

    > My son gave me his old Sony Mavica MVC-FD83 Digital Camera. I always used a
    > 35 Minolta X700, I guess my question is for basic photos how is the Picture
    > Image using the 3.5 computer dics??? Any feedback

    Old camera. It's been superseded several times now.

    If you like the piccies it takes, it is a good camera for you, if not, buy a
    better one.

    , Feb 8, 2004

  3. SteveB

    CJEBS Guest

    We bought one of those several years ago and found the pictures were fine
    for internet sharing with distant family, which was the main reason we
    bought it. Printing out photos, however, we found that the best images were
    uncropped 4x6's. Bigger, better, 'edit-able' photos became more important
    to us, so we upgraded to a Canon A70. I would have liked to go higher end,
    but money was a factor and after a lot of research I thought the A70 gave me
    the best flash for my cash.

    CJEBS, Feb 8, 2004
  4. SteveB

    Ron Hunter Guest

    SteveB wrote:

    > My son gave me his old Sony Mavica MVC-FD83 Digital Camera. I always used a
    > 35 Minolta X700, I guess my question is for basic photos how is the Picture
    > Image using the 3.5 computer dics??? Any feedback
    > welcomed
    > Thanks
    > SteveB...

    Try it and see for yourself, but I wouldn't find it satisfactory for my
    purposes.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2004
  5. SteveB

    AArDvarK Guest

    The camera burns the images onto the disc, just like
    a CD writer in a computer ... any computer's cd rom
    drive will be able to read it and hence you can see them.

    Or is it a floppy disc?

    As far as printing the files, since the camera is older
    it will make smaller sized file in dimensions, hence
    they need to be enlarged in inch dimensions as well
    as pixels-per-inch. This can easily be done in a free
    program called Irfanview downloaded here:
    http://www.irfanview.com/ You must also download
    the 'plugin package' for the re-sizer to work. The re-
    sizer, within Irfanview is called 'Lanczos' in the drop-
    down menu, use this to first change PPI to 300 going
    from 72 PPI, save the image, then re-size again with
    Lanczos to the inch-dimensions you desire the print
    to be at. Easy as pie. After re-sizing you will want to
    possibly sharpen, enhance color, increase brightness
    and/or contrast for a more striking print.

    All kinds of people will buy a new camera because
    of not being able to print at a desirable quality and
    size, they never percieve to first learn something about
    all possibilities concerning graphics and what they've
    got ... My camera is an old Nikon 950 giving a max
    2.1 megapixal image. With what I know I can make
    a beautiful, small sized poster print, not just a 5x7.

    On the other hand, for your X-700 (of which I used
    to own one) you could buy a film scanner and use
    slide film and practically do as good as you need to.
    http://www.benq.com/imaging/scanner_2750i.html
    --
    Sincerely,
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 8, 2004
  6. SteveB

    AArDvarK Guest

    SteveB,

    Here I found the complete user guide to your camera:
    http://chhsweb.sfsu.edu/aboutus/MVCFD88.pdf make
    sure you save a copy. Despite the title it does include
    the MVC-FD83. It says on page 34, the largest file
    dimension file size it records is 1216 x 912 (in pixels)
    jpeg file type. This is 1.1 megapixel, which is enough
    info to produce an 8x10" print UPON up-sizing in
    Irfanview, possibly larger to 11x14".

    AArDvarK, Feb 8, 2004