Fedora Core 3 on Intel 310 (and possibly Intel 315) Chipset

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Archiver, May 31, 2005.

  1. Archiver

    Archiver Guest

    Intel i810 chipset (some old IBM and Compaq machines)
    Fedora Core 3
    Video Distortion

    The purpose of this post is to help people having problems with video
    distortion and windows disappearing and not displaying properly in X
    with Fedora Core 3 using integrated graphics with an Intel i810 (810)
    chipset, as was commonly used on several IBM Netvista and Compaq
    machines.

    There is information available on the web, but not a complete fix in one
    place (that I could find). Hopefully this post will archive and come up
    in a Google Groups search on the subject.

    Note that this is not necessarily the best way to fix this problem, and
    try at your risk - YMMV.

    1. Ensure a connection to the internet.
    2. Replace /etc/yum.conf with: http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf
    2. Drop to a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F3) and login.
    4. Type: rpm --import /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
    (This will sort out the GPG Key issue when using Yum)
    5. Type: yum update xorg-x11.i386

    This will take a few minutes, and will require a confirmation partway
    through.

    Once completed, restart (shutdown -r now), and all should be good!

    Hope that helps others out there.

    Archiver, May 31, 2005

  2. Archiver

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 1 Jun 2005 01:19:22 +1200, Archiver <> says...
    > Intel i810 chipset (some old IBM and Compaq machines)
    > Fedora Core 3
    > Video Distortion
    >
    > The purpose of this post is to help people having problems with video
    > distortion and windows disappearing and not displaying properly in X
    > with Fedora Core 3 using integrated graphics with an Intel i810 (810)
    > chipset, as was commonly used on several IBM Netvista and Compaq
    > machines.

    Loads of late PII machines used the 810 chipset.
    Not just brandnames, Asus made boards with them. But yes, you are
    correct, it was used in IBMs and Compaqs.

    Rob J, Jun 2, 2005