fedora core 1 and mozilla 1.4.1

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by joost68, May 14, 2004.

  1. joost68

    joost68 Guest

    Hello,
    I recently installed Fedora Core 1. Soon I started up Mozilla 1.4.1 to
    surf te web, which whent smoothly as ever. Untill ... I wanted to change
    the language.
    Changing the language of the windows version is something I have done
    several times, so I know the procedure. Every time I downloaded the
    language pack (Dutch in my case) for Moz 1.4.1 and installed it, Mozilla
    messes up. Logged-in as a user, Mozilla won't start up anymore. Instead
    I get the see a oversized window with yellow background with some form
    of code displayed. In the taskbar I can see that the system opens
    something called 'mozilla.bin', but that soon dissapears if I close the
    oversized window. When I switch to root, Mozilla seems to work fine.
    Anyone has any idea's what going on. Please don't suggest to do a clean
    istall op either Fedora or Mozilla. I installed Fedora allready 3 times
    over the last days just to get a Mozilla in my own laguage. I did update
    the system with 'yum'. I tried to remove Mozilla from my system, but
    this did not succeed. I got a message that some version of
    openoffice.libs is needed to be able to rome Moz. I also noticed that
    Mozilla 1.4.1 is not listed as a suit in Linux. Mozilla browser and
    Mozilla Mail have different entrys in the start-up menu, also the same
    in the 'add/remove programs' panel.
    As you can see I need some help!
    Thanks in advance,
    Joost

    joost68, May 14, 2004

  2. joost68

    Randy Guest

    Make sure your Unix shell environment is free of Mozilla variables like
    MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME and the like. If in doubt (as to whether that's the
    problem), create a new user account, log out, and then log in as that
    user and run Mozilla.

    You may also want to rename your ~/.mozilla until you get a newer
    version working, so that you don't inherit any config info from your old
    version.

    To switch to a newer Mozilla, I suggest that you change the directory
    name of the current installation (in /usr/lib) to something else. That
    way, when you run a new version of Mozilla from /usr/local, you won't
    accidentally access parts of other Mozillas.

    FInally, I suggest that you pick up a version of Mozilla that's compiled
    with the font extensions (I think it's -xft). It looks much better in
    Linux than the default version distributed by Mozilla.

    You can get XFT Mozilla binaries from:

    http://www.scottbolander.com/mozilla-xft.html

    Randy

    Randy, May 14, 2004