Fedora 12

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tony Neville, Dec 5, 2009.

  1. Tony Neville

    Tony Neville Guest

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/anthon11/Fedora_12-KDE.jpeg

    mdraid now detects Intel ICH10R arrays during the install process. Hooray! I
    had a 300GB partition meant for Fedora 12, BUT, grub then went and spoiled
    things. I have Windows 7 at the start of the array (raid 0), and putting the
    Grub boot-manager on sector 0 rendered both operating systems non-bootable.
    The install process does not display any warnings when the partition
    configuration is not Grub compliant. You only learn of a problem after
    rebooting. I ended up installing Fedora onto a single drive. Disk I/O is
    still fast so I'm not too hung-up on the Grub issue.

    The second problem was with the Pulse Audio sound system. It did not work
    out of the box, at least not with the motherboard's Intel HDA ADI 2000B
    codec. After downloading extra pulse audio bits and bods, and playing
    around with stuff, it was clicking on the mute gadget and then unmuting or
    moving the volume sliders up and down in the Pulse Audio Volume control (not
    KMix) that unstuck something. The audio is now working fine.

    The third issue was with nVidia's proprietary graphics drivers. Linux's
    OpenGL screen-savers are second to none. They are visually stunning
    mathematical works of art. IMO installing Linux is worthwhile just for the
    screen-savers alone. Anyway, I wanted the nVidia drivers for those and the
    compiz fusion desktop effects and had to perform the following sequence to
    get the X server working with the drivers.

    First, prevent the kernel from loading the default display driver "nouveau"
    by appending rdblacklist=nouveau to the kernel parameters listed in
    /etc/grub.conf

    #setsebool -P allow_execstack <-- Other net "solutions" performed this
    command ~after~ installing the drivers, which after a reboot, left me with a
    black screen and a rapidly flashing cursor.

    # yum install kmod-nvidia-$(uname -r)

    # reboot

    At this stage the X server works and so does GNOME but KDE is almost
    unusable. Clicking on anything in the kicker panel will cause a system-wide
    30 second freeze due to some frame-buffer issue. The time varies greatly
    among users.

    Adding the following repository and then installing the xserver-1.7.1 patch
    made it all better.

    [rdieter]
    name=xorg-x11-server rebuilds for nvidia users
    baseurl=http://rdieter.fedorapeople.org/repo/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=0

    It's the kind of problem that requires tersely gibberish solutions which
    causes me not to recommend Linux to any of my mates. For me it's ok. I
    know enough about Linux to know what to look for in finding a solution and
    how to implement it. But for someone who, for example, has just discovered
    how to disable the preview-pane in Outlook Express or that the option was
    even available... Linux will **** them up.

    I, however, now have two smooth running visually appealing operating
    systems. Windows 7 Ultimate and Fedora 12 (64 bit). The coup d'état for
    me would be getting my Hauppauge HVR-2200 TV card to work at all in Fedora
    and with nVidia's drivers in particular.

    Tony.
    Tony Neville, Dec 5, 2009

  2. In message <hfcje8$6oo$-september.org>, Tony Neville wrote:

    > mdraid now detects Intel ICH10R arrays during the install process.

    I recommend staying away from hardware RAID.

    > The third issue was with nVidia's proprietary graphics drivers.
    >
    > Adding the following repository and then installing the xserver-1.7.1
    > patch made it all better.
    >
    > [rdieter]
    > name=xorg-x11-server rebuilds for nvidia users
    > baseurl=http://rdieter.fedorapeople.org/repo/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/
    > enabled=1
    > gpgcheck=0
    >
    > It's the kind of problem that requires tersely gibberish solutions which
    > causes me not to recommend Linux to any of my mates.

    Ubuntu makes this sort of thing easier. Perhaps you and your mates might be
    better off with that.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 5, 2009