Federal Trade Commission should investigate Canon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CaptainKrunch, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. Troll!!!!!!!!!!!

    "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message
    > With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now
    > dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from ultra-compacts

    > professional level SLRs.
    >
    > This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine Canon

    heavily
    > or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some models

    with
    > Foveon sensors.
    >
    > Also, now Canon has both a printer and a camera with the S500 number.

    There
    > must be something very illegal about this, but I'm not sure what. I think
    > that some people might go to the store to buy a camera, but instead come
    > home with a printer and wonder how to take pictures with it. Kind of like
    > when the Hon office furniture company told David Hon that he couldn't call
    > his folding bicycle a "Hon." Apparently a lot of people were going into

    the
    > store to buy a filing cabinet and mistakenly coming home with a bicycle,

    and
    > getting upset when they could not find the drawers.
    >
    > Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class

    action

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 10, 2004

  3. > With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now
    > dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from ultra-compacts to
    > professional level SLRs.
    >
    > This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine Canon heavily
    > or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some models with
    > Foveon sensors.
    >
    > Also, now Canon has both a printer and a camera with the S500 number. There
    > must be something very illegal about this, but I'm not sure what. I think
    > that some people might go to the store to buy a camera, but instead come
    > home with a printer and wonder how to take pictures with it. Kind of like
    > when the Hon office furniture company told David Hon that he couldn't call
    > his folding bicycle a "Hon." Apparently a lot of people were going into the
    > store to buy a filing cabinet and mistakenly coming home with a bicycle, and
    > getting upset when they could not find the drawers.
    >
    > Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class action
    > lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

    Jeez...get a grip, buddy. Last time I checked, nobody was forcing
    anybody to buy Canons. You could still buy Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, and
    the rest.

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 10, 2004
  4. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they

    now
    > > dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from

    ultra-compacts to
    > > professional level SLRs.
    > >
    > > This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine

    Canon heavily
    > > or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some

    models with
    > > Foveon sensors.
    > >
    > > Also, now Canon has both a printer and a camera with the S500

    number. There
    > > must be something very illegal about this, but I'm not sure what.

    I think
    > > that some people might go to the store to buy a camera, but

    instead come
    > > home with a printer and wonder how to take pictures with it. Kind

    of like
    > > when the Hon office furniture company told David Hon that he

    couldn't call
    > > his folding bicycle a "Hon." Apparently a lot of people were going

    into the
    > > store to buy a filing cabinet and mistakenly coming home with a

    bicycle, and
    > > getting upset when they could not find the drawers.
    > >
    > > Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a

    class action
    > > lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

    > Jeez...get a grip, buddy. Last time I checked, nobody was forcing
    > anybody to buy Canons. You could still buy Nikon, Minolta, Pentax,

    and
    > the rest.

    Surely the original post was tongue-in-cheek?

    --
    Steve Brassett

    Steve Brassett, Feb 10, 2004
  5. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now

    <snip>

    > Jeez...get a grip, buddy. Last time I checked, nobody was forcing
    > anybody to buy Canons. You could still buy Nikon, Minolta, Pentax, and
    > the rest.

    Yeah, and no one was forcing anyone to buy Microsoft Windows either. There
    was OS2, Linux, CP/M, the Mac OSes, etc.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 10, 2004
  6. > Yeah, and no one was forcing anyone to buy Microsoft Windows either. There
    > was OS2, Linux, CP/M, the Mac OSes, etc.

    I wasn't going to go there, but...yeah...

    Randall Ainsworth, Feb 10, 2004
  7. Relax. Calm down. Take a deep breath.

    There? Isn't that better?

    The only thing illegal about Canon's business practices is that they haven't
    build a dSLR that I can afford.

    Yet.

    Eric R. Ortega, Feb 10, 2004
  8. Steven M. Scharf wrote:

    > Yeah, and no one was forcing anyone to buy Microsoft Windows either.
    > There was OS2, Linux, CP/M, the Mac OSes, etc.

    But OS2 was ... well let's just say it was not all that good. CP/M is
    like saying the Model T Ford killed the market for buggy whips and should
    have been regulated. Linux and Mac are still players, and the market makes
    the decision.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 10, 2004
  9. CaptainKrunch

    Ron Recer Guest

    >From: "Steven M. Scharf"
    >Date: 2/10/2004 10:00 AM Central Standard Time

    >Yeah, and no one was forcing anyone to buy Microsoft Windows either. There
    >was OS2, Linux, CP/M, the Mac OSes, etc.

    I am not a MS basher, but it seems to me the difference is that Canon doesn't
    require you to buy a printer if you buy a camera. Nor do they prohibit a
    retailer from selling Canon cameras and HP printers without the retailer having
    to package a Canon printer with each camera. So, Canon is probably safe for a
    while. <g>

    Ron

    Ron Recer, Feb 10, 2004
  10. CaptainKrunch

    Alan Browne Guest

    Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    > With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now
    > dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from ultra-compacts to
    > professional level SLRs.
    >
    > This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine Canon heavily
    > or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some models with
    > Foveon sensors.

    It is either amusing or alarming when people don't understand anti-trust
    laws.

    > Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class action
    > lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

    Oh, thought you were serious, now I see you're just a looney-tunes.
    Glad I got that straight.

    Cheers,
    Alan
    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Feb 10, 2004
  11. CaptainKrunch

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <8P8Wb.91764$>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    >
    >> Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class action
    >> lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

    >Oh, thought you were serious, now I see you're just a looney-tunes.
    >Glad I got that straight.

    It's always painful to see people take irony at face value on Usenet.

    Chris Brown, Feb 10, 2004
  12. CaptainKrunch

    Ralph Guest

    I went to buy a Honda car and got sold a motorcycle. When do I get the other
    two wheels?

    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply

    Ralph, Feb 10, 2004
  13. CaptainKrunch

    Ed Kirstein Guest

    I bought a Sony DVD player and I thought it was supposed to be a 60" Plasma
    TV. This could go on and on, but its fun anyway.
    Ed

    Ed Kirstein, Feb 10, 2004
  14. Buy another one and some rope.

    --

    Steve

    Steve Brassett, Feb 10, 2004
  15. CaptainKrunch

    Hugo Drax Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > In article <8P8Wb.91764$>,
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:
    > >Steven M. Scharf wrote:
    > >
    > >> Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class

    action
    > >> lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

    > >Oh, thought you were serious, now I see you're just a looney-tunes.
    > >Glad I got that straight.

    > It's always painful to see people take irony at face value on Usenet.

    hehe I think rec.photo.digital is where trolls first practice before going
    to the harder levels. Sort of a White Belt test of trolling.

    Hugo Drax, Feb 11, 2004
  16. Federal Trade Commission should investigate idiots who babble

    Mr.Excitement, Feb 11, 2004
  17. CaptainKrunch

    zbzbzb Guest

    >With Canon's new product announcements at the 2004 PMA show, they now
    >dominate every segment of the digital camera market, from ultra-compacts to
    >professional level SLRs.
    >
    >This is unfair to the other manufacturers. The FTC should fine Canon heavily
    >or do something about something. Maybe force Canon to build some models with
    >Foveon sensors.

    Even if Canon did have a monopoly in digicams, which they definitely do not,
    monopolies are not illegal, at least not in America. Try somewhere in Europe.

    zbzbzb, Feb 11, 2004
  18. CaptainKrunch

    zbzbzb Guest

    >>> Someone should sue someone about this. Call the BBB. Organize a class
    >action
    >>> lawsuit. It's all Sandy James' fault.

    >>Oh, thought you were serious, now I see you're just a looney-tunes.
    >>Glad I got that straight.

    >It's always painful to see people take irony at face value on Usenet.

    More so when someone feels the need to point it out.

    zbzbzb, Feb 11, 2004
  19. "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message

    > In article <8P8Wb.91764$>,
    > Alan Browne <> wrote:

    > >Oh, thought you were serious, now I see you're just a looney-tunes. >Glad

    I got that straight.

    > It's always painful to see people take irony at face value on Usenet.

    Irony and sarcasm come across poorly on Usenet, especially to people who are
    not particularly quick-witted.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 11, 2004
  20. CaptainKrunch

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    > Even if Canon did have a monopoly in digicams, which they
    > definitely do not, monopolies are not illegal, at least not in
    > America.

    Fantastic pearl of wisdom zb, from someone who must just
    love the zaibatsus. Ever heard of the anti-trust? I guess not...

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 11, 2004