Fed up of no WiFi

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Vertuas, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Vertuas

    Vertuas Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a lynksys router (yep WRT54G) for internet access all around my home.
    I have two PCs in my office connected to the router via CAT5 ethernet cable.
    I have a laptop with PCMCIA card and another pc in the house with a PCI
    wireless card. All machines are windows XP Pro/Home.

    All things work well for the hardwired machine, but trying to ses the
    network from the wireless ones is a waste of time as the link is continually
    dropped, then reconnected, then dropped........

    When connected, all signal strengths are good to very good. I can find no
    reason why the lan always drops.

    Having looked arount the net, i have found reference to this being an issue
    with windows and Wirless Zero Configuration, but i cannot find a working and
    reliable solution.

    Does anyone know what the issue is, or should i just run some cat5 around
    the place and have done with it?

    Thanks

    Vertuas
    Vertuas, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Vertuas

    DLink Guru Guest

    I keep losing my Wireless Network Connection every 30 seconds or so, even
    with a strong signal...

    Make sure you have 802.1x authentication disabled for your wireless
    connection.
    1. Double Click on your wireless network connection in the system tray
    2. Click on Properties
    3. Click on the Wireless Networks Tab
    4. In the Prefered Networks window, Click on your Network
    5. Click on Properties
    6. Click on the Authentication Tab
    7. Uncheck the box next to Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this
    network
    8. Click OK

    Robert....

    DLink Guru, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Even more common - make sure you've got the latest firmware for the router.
    Check out the following for example:

    Broadband Reports lists some hacks and Linux Based modified firmware for
    enhancing the popular linksys WRT54G router. This router is essentially a
    Linux based computer with full source code.
    Linksysinfo.org is dedicated to linksys Enhancements. Sveasoft firmware
    build has an incredible amount of features including wireless power mode
    selection, BGP Routing, Bandwidth management.

    --
    Oliver
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

    Oliver Saal [MS], Mar 10, 2005
  4. Vertuas

    Vertuas Guest

    OK just upgraded firm ware, not sure if its same version though

    see how it goes in the morning

    Vertuas, Mar 10, 2005
  5. Vertuas

    JoeT Guest

    > OK just upgraded firm ware, not sure if its same version though
    >

    > see how it goes in the morning
    >

    > "Oliver Saal [MS]" <> wrote in message
    >> Even more common - make sure you've got the latest firmware for the

    > router.
    >> Check out the following for example:
    >>
    >> Broadband Reports lists some hacks and Linux Based modified firmware for
    >> enhancing the popular linksys WRT54G router. This router is essentially a
    >> Linux based computer with full source code.
    >> Linksysinfo.org is dedicated to linksys Enhancements. Sveasoft firmware
    >> build has an incredible amount of features including wireless power mode
    >> selection, BGP Routing, Bandwidth management.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Oliver
    >> This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO
    >> rights
    >>

    >> "Vertuas" <vertuas@[nospam]callistocs.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Hello all,
    >> >
    >> > I have a lynksys router (yep WRT54G) for internet access all around my
    >> > home.
    >> > I have two PCs in my office connected to the router via CAT5 ethernet
    >> > cable.
    >> > I have a laptop with PCMCIA card and another pc in the house with a PCI
    >> > wireless card. All machines are windows XP Pro/Home.
    >> >
    >> > All things work well for the hardwired machine, but trying to ses the
    >> > network from the wireless ones is a waste of time as the link is
    >> > continually
    >> > dropped, then reconnected, then dropped........
    >> >
    >> > When connected, all signal strengths are good to very good. I can find

    > no
    >> > reason why the lan always drops.
    >> >
    >> > Having looked arount the net, i have found reference to this being an
    >> > issue
    >> > with windows and Wirless Zero Configuration, but i cannot find a
    >> > working
    >> > and
    >> > reliable solution.
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone know what the issue is, or should i just run some cat5

    > around
    >> > the place and have done with it?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Vertuas

    You probably already know this so it may be a silly thing to suggest but if
    you're using wireless phones in your home that run at 2.4GHz, they're quite
    capable of dropping your wireless connections. I changed channels on my
    router and it seems to have stopped killing the connections but there are
    also 900MHz and 5GHz phones available that can be easier to work around when
    using 2.4GHz wireless NIC's. Just a thought since I hadn't seen this
    suggested.
    JoeT, Mar 10, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?UGh5dGVyZ2F0b3I=?=, Mar 10, 2005