    other end having to click links.

    Thanks,

    Red
    Big Red, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Big Red

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 6/29/2004 06:58 PM, Big Red wrote:
    > Mozilla currently supports "Send Link by Email" but not "Send Page by
    > Email," which has been standard fare in IE since forever.
    >
    > It's a useful feature. I use it all the time for sending articles. Saves the
    > other end having to click links.

    HTML in my Inbox? Yuck. I have it turned off anyway. ;-)

    --
    Brian
    .BRIAN., Jun 30, 2004

  3. Big Red

    Big Red Guest

    ..BRIAN. wrote:
    > On 6/29/2004 06:58 PM, Big Red wrote:
    >> Mozilla currently supports "Send Link by Email" but not "Send Page by
    >> Email," which has been standard fare in IE since forever.
    >>
    >> It's a useful feature. I use it all the time for sending articles.
    >> Saves the other end having to click links.
    >>

    > HTML in my Inbox? Yuck. I have it turned off anyway. ;-)

    I get your point, but I don't find it such a big deal now that I've got my
    new 33.6 Kbps modem. Heck, I'm even surfing the Info SuperHighway with
    Images enabled.

    Hoowee! You should try it.

    Red
    Big Red, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Big Red

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 6/29/2004 09:37 PM, Big Red wrote:
    > .BRIAN. wrote:
    >
    >>On 6/29/2004 06:58 PM, Big Red wrote:
    >>
    >>>Mozilla currently supports "Send Link by Email" but not "Send Page by
    >>>Email," which has been standard fare in IE since forever.
    >>>
    >>>It's a useful feature. I use it all the time for sending articles.
    >>>Saves the other end having to click links.

    >>HTML in my Inbox? Yuck. I have it turned off anyway. ;-)

    > I get your point, but I don't find it such a big deal now that I've got my
    > new 33.6 Kbps modem. Heck, I'm even surfing the Info SuperHighway with
    > Images enabled.
    >
    > Hoowee! You should try it.

    ;-) It's not bandwidth I'm concerned with. I leave HTML turned off for
    other reasons -- mainly because I don't like my address confirmed with
    graphics sent via HTML spam.

    33.6 Kpbs huh?? I remember my first modem... big fat 1200 baud modem
    connected to my Amiga 500 browsing local BBSes. Now that was fast!

    --
    Brian
    .BRIAN., Jun 30, 2004
  5. Big Red

    Moz Champion Guest

    Big Red wrote:

    > .BRIAN. wrote:
    >
    >>On 6/29/2004 06:58 PM, Big Red wrote:
    >>
    >>>Mozilla currently supports "Send Link by Email" but not "Send Page by
    >>>Email," which has been standard fare in IE since forever.
    >>>
    >>>It's a useful feature. I use it all the time for sending articles.
    >>>Saves the other end having to click links.
    >>>

    >>HTML in my Inbox? Yuck. I have it turned off anyway. ;-)

    > I get your point, but I don't find it such a big deal now that I've got my
    > new 33.6 Kbps modem. Heck, I'm even surfing the Info SuperHighway with
    > Images enabled.
    >
    > Hoowee! You should try it.
    >
    > Red

    While you may be suitably equipped to handle large emails, most of the world is still far behind in terms of bandwidth. Basing what others should get on your specific situation is rather selfish is it not?

    Many people dont want HTML in their email, regardless of where it comes from. Instead of giving them the 'option' to choose to go to a page, you force them to spend time (and sometimes money (many dont have unlimited accounts)) to get the page, even if they didnt want it.

    Clicking a link is too much work? Gee, make one wonder how you found the site in the first place doesnt it <g>

    Only send HTML formatted mail to those who request such, dont make their choice for them.
    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Big Red

    Big Red Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Big Red wrote:
    >
    >> .BRIAN. wrote:

    >>> HTML in my Inbox? Yuck. I have it turned off anyway. ;-)

    >> I get your point, but I don't find it such a big deal now that I've
    >> got my new 33.6 Kbps modem. Heck, I'm even surfing the Info
    >> SuperHighway with Images enabled.
    >>
    >> Hoowee! You should try it.
    >>
    >> Red
    >>

    > While you may be suitably equipped to handle large emails, most of
    > the world is still far behind in terms of bandwidth. Basing what
    > others should get on your specific situation is rather selfish is it
    > not?
    >
    > Many people dont want HTML in their email, regardless of where it
    > comes from. Instead of giving them the 'option' to choose to go to a
    > page, you force them to spend time (and sometimes money (many dont
    > have unlimited accounts)) to get the page, even if they didnt want
    > it.
    >
    > Clicking a link is too much work? Gee, make one wonder how you found
    > the site in the first place doesnt it <g>
    >
    > Only send HTML formatted mail to those who request such, dont make
    > their choice for them.

    Have you updated your brain in the last ten years?

    Red
    Big Red, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Big Red

    Moz Champion Guest

    Big Red wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >>Big Red wrote:

    >>>I get your point, but I don't find it such a big deal now that I've
    >>>got my new 33.6 Kbps modem. Heck, I'm even surfing the Info
    >>>SuperHighway with Images enabled.
    >>>
    >>>Hoowee! You should try it.
    >>>
    >>>Red
    >>>

    >>While you may be suitably equipped to handle large emails, most of
    >>the world is still far behind in terms of bandwidth. Basing what
    >>others should get on your specific situation is rather selfish is it
    >>not?
    >>
    >>Many people dont want HTML in their email, regardless of where it
    >>comes from. Instead of giving them the 'option' to choose to go to a
    >>page, you force them to spend time (and sometimes money (many dont
    >>have unlimited accounts)) to get the page, even if they didnt want
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Clicking a link is too much work? Gee, make one wonder how you found
    >>the site in the first place doesnt it <g>
    >>
    >>Only send HTML formatted mail to those who request such, dont make
    >>their choice for them.

    > Have you updated your brain in the last ten years?
    >
    > Red

    Simply because you can do something, doesnt mean that everyone else will enjoy it. Many people dont like HTML in email (I do but thats me). Not everyone has access to high speed internet either.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jun 30, 2004
  8. On 6/30/2004 6:55 AM, Big Red said:

    > Have you updated your brain in the last ten years?

    Have _you_ checked before insulting someone who's been one of the most
    helpful people on this newsgroup in recent years? You might like to try.

    Back to topic: a lot of html spam contains images with
    recipient-specific filenames for the images. Say you receive a spam that
    your junk filter isn't ready to deal with yet. So your mail client
    displays the message. So it sends http requests for images with coded
    names like 'image32432423234.jpg' -- coded to your individual account.
    Http request = valid e-mail target. You're buried under yet more spam.

    For that reason alone I don't view html in messages. That and the
    thought that if people need formatting to get their thoughts across,
    they might like to try thinking harder :)

    cheers,

    David H
    David Harrison, Jun 30, 2004
  9. Big Red

    Big Red Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Big Red wrote:
    >

    > Simply because you can do something, doesnt mean that everyone else
    > will enjoy it. Many people dont like HTML in email (I do but thats
    > me). Not everyone has access to high speed internet either.

    Are you implying that if they put this feature in EVERYONE will use it, and
    DESTROY the Internet you know and love? I hope not, because it's a feature
    that's been in IE a long time that's overlooked by most but appreciated by
    the minority who do. Of course I don't send an HTML mail to someone who
    doesn't want it. Do you think I'm a complete moron?

    Red
    Big Red, Jul 1, 2004
  10. Big Red

    Big Red Guest

    David Harrison wrote:
    > On 6/30/2004 6:55 AM, Big Red said:
    >
    >> Have you updated your brain in the last ten years?

    > Have _you_ checked before insulting someone who's been one of the most
    > helpful people on this newsgroup in recent years? You might like to
    > try.
    >
    > Back to topic: a lot of html spam contains images with
    > recipient-specific filenames for the images. Say you receive a spam
    > that your junk filter isn't ready to deal with yet. So your mail
    > client displays the message. So it sends http requests for images
    > with coded names like 'image32432423234.jpg' -- coded to your
    > individual account. Http request = valid e-mail target. You're buried
    > under yet more spam.
    >
    > For that reason alone I don't view html in messages. That and the
    > thought that if people need formatting to get their thoughts across,
    > they might like to try thinking harder :)

    Just because you don't like it - and it could potentially be exploited by
    criminals - doesn't mean you should dictate to everyone else. Mozilla isn't
    trying to be Saddam Hussein.

    At any rate, the issue has nothing to do with HTML mail - which is already
    supported by Thunderbird. The issue is about FORWARDING a WEB page from an
    existing WEB site. The risks are the same as visiting that site from a
    LINK - something which is already supported.

    The issue is not about FORCING anything on anyone. It's about not making
    them have to waste time pursuing a Web link. Now, if the other party doesn't
    like HTML mail, then you don't send them HTML mail.

    OBVIOUSLY, it's about exchanging Web pages between CONSENTING parties.

    Sheesh,

    Red
    Big Red, Jul 1, 2004
  11. On 7/1/2004 1:41 AM, Big Red said:

    > Just because you don't like it - and it could potentially be exploited by
    > criminals - doesn't mean you should dictate to everyone else. Mozilla isn't
    > trying to be Saddam Hussein.

    Did I dictate, or simply ask you to stop throwing your weight around?

    You want to get insulting, first try being as helpful as your target.
    Then you earn the right.

    As for the whole dictatorship trip, get a life.
    David Harrison, Jul 1, 2004
  12. Big Red

    Big Red Guest

    David Harrison wrote:
    > On 7/1/2004 1:41 AM, Big Red said:
    >
    >> Just because you don't like it - and it could potentially be
    >> exploited by criminals - doesn't mean you should dictate to everyone
    >> else. Mozilla isn't trying to be Saddam Hussein.

    > Did I dictate, or simply ask you to stop throwing your weight around?
    >
    > You want to get insulting, first try being as helpful as your target.
    > Then you earn the right.
    >
    > As for the whole dictatorship trip, get a life.

    All I ever did was request a feature that I've found useful in IE.

    EOM.

    Red
    Big Red, Jul 1, 2004
  13. Big Red

    Moz Champion Guest

    Big Red wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >>Big Red wrote:
    >>

    >>Simply because you can do something, doesnt mean that everyone else
    >>will enjoy it. Many people dont like HTML in email (I do but thats
    >>me). Not everyone has access to high speed internet either.

    > Are you implying that if they put this feature in EVERYONE will use it, and
    > DESTROY the Internet you know and love? I hope not, because it's a feature
    > that's been in IE a long time that's overlooked by most but appreciated by
    > the minority who do. Of course I don't send an HTML mail to someone who
    > doesn't want it. Do you think I'm a complete moron?
    >
    > Red

    You can spam with the program too, does that make spam 'good' as well? Simply because something CAN be done, doesnt mean its right.
    All I said was that just because you dont mind HTML in mail and news, that doent make it right for everyone. Not everyone has access to high speed internet (approx 50% of internet users still use modems of 2800bps or less), and over half the worlds internet users dont have unlimited internet either, meaning that they are paying for the time to download what you send.

    Personally, I prefer if people send me pages via links. With a link, I can choose the time when I want to access the page, and it saves a lot on mail download time as well. I can put the email aside until I can spare the time to visit the page and give it the attention it deserves. With sending a page, that option is removed.

    And no, I wasnt implying that the feature should not be there at all, I never stated such. It was there with Communicator as well, for years. All I did was voice my opinion on the hazard of making such available and using it without forethought.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 1, 2004
  14. Big Red

    Moz Champion Guest

    Big Red wrote:

    > David Harrison wrote:
    >
    >>On 7/1/2004 1:41 AM, Big Red said:
    >>

    >>>Just because you don't like it - and it could potentially be
    >>>exploited by criminals - doesn't mean you should dictate to everyone
    >>>else. Mozilla isn't trying to be Saddam Hussein.

    >>Did I dictate, or simply ask you to stop throwing your weight around?
    >>
    >>You want to get insulting, first try being as helpful as your target.
    >>Then you earn the right.
    >>
    >>As for the whole dictatorship trip, get a life.

    > All I ever did was request a feature that I've found useful in IE.
    >
    > EOM.
    >
    > Red

    Oh, and another point. If you used Mozilla, instead of the standalone Firefox, then you would have the Page Send option.

    One of the advantages of Firefox (which is basically a varient of Mozilla) is that it doesnt tie you to a specific mail program, it leaves you free to choose your mail program, which may or may NOT support HTML (which is a requirement for sending pages of course).

    So even if there WAS a choice allowing you to send a page in Firefox, it wouldnt neccessarily mean you could, if for example, your mail program of choice didnt support it.

    So, given that Firefox doesnt mandate choice of mail (IE defaults to OE, Mozilla defaults to Mozilla of course), the option to include Send Page was not included in the package, leaving users free to choose their mail program.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 1, 2004
  15. On 7/1/2004 3:12 AM, Big Red said:

    > All I ever did was request a feature that I've found useful in IE.
    >
    > EOM.

    Sure, OK. It wasn't the request, it was the 'response to the response',
    if you can untangle that :)

    And it would be a useful addition. Worth raising as a feature request at
    Mozillazine or Bugzilla?

    cheers,

    David H

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address
    David Harrison, Jul 1, 2004
  16. On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 05:02:10 GMT, Moz Champion wrote in
    :

    > Oh, and another point. If you used Mozilla, instead of the
    > standalone Firefox, then you would have the Page Send
    > option.
    >
    > One of the advantages of Firefox (which is basically a
    > varient of Mozilla) is that it doesnt tie you to a specific
    > mail program, it leaves you free to choose your mail
    > program, which may or may NOT support HTML (which is a
    > requirement for sending pages of course).
    >
    > So even if there WAS a choice allowing you to send a page in
    > Firefox, it wouldnt neccessarily mean you could, if for
    > example, your mail program of choice didnt support it.
    >
    > So, given that Firefox doesnt mandate choice of mail (IE
    > defaults to OE, Mozilla defaults to Mozilla of course), the
    > option to include Send Page was not included in the package,
    > leaving users free to choose their mail program.

    I use a print-to-PDF utility quite often. It gives me an easy way
    to archive, or forward, or fax, web pages. It's very helpful in
    resolving disputes.

    The last thing in the world I want to use is an 'internet suite'.
    The big reason I stopped using netscape (I even paid for it, I
    liked it that much) was that it kept on forcing me to use
    Navigator.

    Firefox is bringing me back.

    Flatus
    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jul 1, 2004