    .... safer than other systems and easier
    than ever to use. ... Linux has come a long way from its Unix roots. ...

    <http://www.itweek.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2160505/linux-free-easy-secure>

    Au79, Jul 21, 2006

  2. "Au79" <> wrote in message
    news:lD6wg.134421$...
    > IT Week - London,UK
    >
    > ... safer than other systems and easier
    > than ever to use. ... Linux has come a long way from its Unix roots. ...
    >
    > <http://www.itweek.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2160505/linux-free-easy-secure>
    > http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html

    Do you really like Linux then? You seem to, and good for you. You are a
    quite a bore you know.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 21, 2006

  3. Au79

    Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:46:07 +0100, "Synapse Syndrome"
    <> wrote:

    >Do you really like Linux then? You seem to, and good for you. You are a
    >quite a bore you know.

    As are most Linux pushers.

    , Jul 21, 2006
  4. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Synapse Syndrome.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Do you really like Linux then? You seem to, and good for you. You are a
    > quite a bore you know.

    I like Linux but I happen to agree with you on this one. There is such a
    thing as "too much" and it doesn't help one bit.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jul 21, 2006
  5. Au79

    Plato Guest

    Au79 wrote:

    > IT Week - London,UK
    >
    > ... safer than other systems and easier
    > than ever to use. ... Linux has come a long way from its Unix roots. ...

    Have you been living under a rock? Linux has been the best OS for
    website servers for the last 10 years.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 22, 2006
  6. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Plato.

    In <news:44c1aa78$0$1024$> you wrote:

    > Have you been living under a rock? Linux has been the best OS for
    > website servers for the last 10 years.

    I've been using Linux as my web server for the last 6 years. Never been
    compromised.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jul 22, 2006
  7. Au79

    Plato Guest

    Ponder wrote:

    > > Have you been living under a rock? Linux has been the best OS for
    > > website servers for the last 10 years.

    > I've been using Linux as my web server for the last 6 years. Never been
    > compromised.

    Still if you run a hosting business security is one of the most
    important functions. Many a bloke has gone into the webhosting business
    using Linux and got had.

    Plato, Jul 23, 2006
  8. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Plato.

    In <news:44c30159$0$447$> you wrote:

    > Still if you run a hosting business security is one of the most
    > important functions. Many a bloke has gone into the webhosting business
    > using Linux and got had.

    Usually by offering ssh access too I believe.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jul 23, 2006
  9. Au79

    Plato Guest

    Ponder wrote:

    > > Still if you run a hosting business security is one of the most
    > > important functions. Many a bloke has gone into the webhosting business
    > > using Linux and got had.

    > Usually by offering ssh access too I believe.

    It's one of those things. Sounds like "easy money" so every Tom, Dick,
    And Harry wants to host websites. No wonder 98% or more go out of
    business in the first year

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 24, 2006
  10. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Plato.

    In <news:44c52d3d$0$427$> you wrote:

    > It's one of those things. Sounds like "easy money" so every Tom, Dick,
    > And Harry wants to host websites. No wonder 98% or more go out of
    > business in the first year

    Yeah, it's a lot of work. A mate of mine started off with that and now
    runs over 10 servers and 1000s of customers. He puts a lot of time into it
    (and not alone either) :)

    Not something I could put that much effort into though.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jul 24, 2006
  11. Au79

    Plato Guest

    Ponder wrote:

    > > It's one of those things. Sounds like "easy money" so every Tom, Dick,
    > > And Harry wants to host websites. No wonder 98% or more go out of
    > > business in the first year

    > Yeah, it's a lot of work. A mate of mine started off with that and now
    > runs over 10 servers and 1000s of customers. He puts a lot of time into it
    > (and not alone either) :)
    >
    > Not something I could put that much effort into though.

    Lets say he has 1000 customers at the minimum of $5/month which is
    $5,000/month in gross income. Subtract your expenses and third party
    labor and you make [gross] as much as a regular [higher end] job working
    for somebody else, more or less. Now ad the 80+ hours/week you have to
    put into it and one sees it's not a money tree.

    Plato, Jul 25, 2006
  12. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in news:lD6wg.134421$:

    > IT Week - London,UK
    >
    > ... safer than other systems and easier
    > than ever to use. ... Linux has come a long way from its Unix roots. ...
    >
    ><http://www.itweek.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2160505/linux-fr
    >ee-easy-secure>

    From his experience, he said, there were five things that were just awful under Linux:

    1. Wi-fi setup;

    2. Printing setup;

    3. High-end video card setup, especially for ATI cards;

    4. Connecting with digital cameras; and

    5. Sound setup.

    More here:

    http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business06_july11_2006

    Fuzzy Logic, Jul 25, 2006
  13. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:44c1aa78$0$1024$:

    > Au79 wrote:
    >>
    >> IT Week - London,UK
    >>
    >> ... safer than other systems and easier
    >> than ever to use. ... Linux has come a long way from its Unix roots. ...

    > Have you been living under a rock? Linux has been the best OS for
    > website servers for the last 10 years.

    So what? Besides you can run Apache without Linux. Only useful for people who need to run a website (a
    miniscule percentage of computer users).

    Fuzzy Logic, Jul 25, 2006
  14. Au79

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Fuzzy Logic.

    In <news:Xns980B8DB8765Abobarcabca@199.185.223.78> you wrote:

    > From his experience, he said, there were five things that were just awful under Linux:
    > 1. Wi-fi setup;

    I got that working on my wife's laptop using WPA in 15 mins running from
    an Ubuntu Desktop CD (not installed).

    > 2. Printing setup;

    Really? I have both a local laser and networked (samba) injet running on
    mine.

    > 3. High-end video card setup, especially for ATI cards;

    Can't comment. Running OpenGL fine on a GeForce4 MX 440.

    > 4. Connecting with digital cameras; and

    Memory cards?

    > 5. Sound setup.

    Only problem I have there is with MIDI. Not been arsed enough to chase it
    up yet.

    Not read the URL but they're my own personal experiences.

    I'd say the biggest problem with Linux is proprietary streaming media,
    especially if DRM'd.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jul 25, 2006
  15. It was on Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:55:48 +0000, that Ponder wrote:

    > Hiya Fuzzy Logic.
    >
    > In <news:Xns980B8DB8765Abobarcabca@199.185.223.78> you wrote:
    >
    >> From his experience, he said, there were five things that were just awful under Linux:
    >> 1. Wi-fi setup;

    > I got that working on my wife's laptop using WPA in 15 mins running from
    > an Ubuntu Desktop CD (not installed).
    >
    >> 2. Printing setup;

    > Really? I have both a local laser and networked (samba) injet running on
    > mine.
    >
    >> 3. High-end video card setup, especially for ATI cards;

    > Can't comment. Running OpenGL fine on a GeForce4 MX 440.
    >
    >> 4. Connecting with digital cameras; and

    Digital cameras are picked up as USB Mass Storage. Mine isn't even
    supported under linux, but my distro picks it up when it's plugged in &
    turned on. I just download the photos, switch it off & unplug it! Simple.

    --
    98% of linux problems *windows* users whine about,
    emanate from somewhere between the chair and the PC.

    William Poaster, Jul 26, 2006