Fears Grow That Laser Printers Can Seriously Damage Health

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg House, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    Greg House, Aug 1, 2007

  2. Greg House

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Aug 1, 2007

  3. Greg House

    Nighthawk Guest

    Nighthawk, Aug 1, 2007
  4. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 22:07:00 +1200, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:29:53 +1200, Greg House
    >< wrote:
    >

    >>Fears grow that laser printers can seriously damage health
    >>Particle emissions from laser printers might pose health concern
    >>

    >>http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2195345/laser-printers-seriously-damage

    >It was on teletext too. Pity they don't mention which were the high
    >emitters.

    And on TV1 news.

    Greg House, Aug 1, 2007
  5. Greg House

    Jonno Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 22:07:00 +1200, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:29:53 +1200, Greg House
    >>< wrote:
    >>

    >>>Fears grow that laser printers can seriously damage health
    >>>Particle emissions from laser printers might pose health concern
    >>>

    >>>http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2195345/laser-printers-seriously-damage

    >>It was on teletext too. Pity they don't mention which were the high
    >>emitters.
    >>

    > And on TV1 news.

    A few years ago it was photocopiers.

    Jonno, Aug 1, 2007
  6. Greg House

    Rob S Guest

    Nighthawk wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:29:53 +1200, Greg House
    > < wrote:
    >
    >> Fears grow that laser printers can seriously damage health
    >> Particle emissions from laser printers might pose health concern
    >>

    >> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2195345/laser-printers-seriously-damage

    > It was on teletext too. Pity they don't mention which were the high
    > emitters.

    This comes from from a study done by the Queensland University of
    Technology and they are going to publish the list of printers in an
    American science journal, but they don't say which one. There is an
    article in Scientific American

    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=1E331C74-E7F2-99DF-37898DA0522FD626&chanID=sa003
    http://tinyurl.com/356vl4

    but I can't get past the first page, just getting an error page.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Alcohol and calculus don't mix - PLEASE don't drink and derive.

    Rob S, Aug 1, 2007
  7. Greg House

    Jerry Guest

    Greg House wrote:
    > Fears grow that laser printers can seriously damage health
    > Particle emissions from laser printers might pose health concern

    What about particle emissions from putting talcum powder on your baby's
    bum? What other rumours can we start? How about we suggest that human
    caused emission of carbon dioxide is going to cause catastrophic
    climate change? Nah, no-one would be gullible and stupid enough to
    believe that one would they? What? They really would??

    Jerry, Aug 2, 2007
  8. In message <46b17b8b$>, Jerry wrote:

    > Greg House wrote:
    >> Fears grow that laser printers can seriously damage health
    >> Particle emissions from laser printers might pose health concern

    > What about particle emissions from putting talcum powder on your baby's
    > bum?

    The issue is that those talcum-powder particles are rather large, whereas
    toner particles are extremely fine. Smaller particles can get into more
    places than larger ones can.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 2, 2007
  9. Greg House

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <46b17b8b$>, Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> Greg House wrote:
    >>> Fears grow that laser printers can seriously damage health
    >>> Particle emissions from laser printers might pose health concern

    >> What about particle emissions from putting talcum powder on your baby's
    >> bum?

    > The issue is that those talcum-powder particles are rather large, whereas
    > toner particles are extremely fine. Smaller particles can get into more
    > places than larger ones can.

    We are always breathing particles of all kinds of sizes. While some
    things are known to be harmful (asbestos) your lungs are good at
    expelling most particles you inhale. This alarmist article provides no
    evidence at all that rather smooth and innocuous toner particles (mostly
    resin) are harmful at all, only that they are particles.

    A meteorite 750 meters in diameter *could* strike Wellington at 3:26AM
    on Wed, 22 August of this year. Are you going to lose sleep worrying
    about it?

    Jerry, Aug 2, 2007
  10. In message <46b1d205$>, Jerry wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> What about particle emissions from putting talcum powder on your baby's
    >>> bum?

    >> The issue is that those talcum-powder particles are rather large, whereas
    >> toner particles are extremely fine. Smaller particles can get into more
    >> places than larger ones can.

    > We are always breathing particles of all kinds of sizes.

    But typically not ones that small.

    > While some things are known to be harmful (asbestos) your lungs are good
    > at expelling most particles you inhale.

    I don't think there are many particles in nature of such small size, except
    perhaps viruses. Which can, as you know, cause infections.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 3, 2007
  11. Greg House

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <46b1d205$>, Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> The issue is that those talcum-powder particles are rather large, whereas
    >>> toner particles are extremely fine. Smaller particles can get into more
    >>> places than larger ones can.

    >> We are always breathing particles of all kinds of sizes.

    > But typically not ones that small.
    >
    >> While some things are known to be harmful (asbestos) your lungs are good
    >> at expelling most particles you inhale.

    > I don't think there are many particles in nature of such small size, except
    > perhaps viruses. Which can, as you know, cause infections.

    Typal toner particle size in a modern printer is 8 microns, 4 is
    possible. Oil smoke is .02 - 1 micron, cement dust 3 - 100, smog .01 -
    1 micron, bacteria .2 - 20, virus .002 - .04.

    Inhaling particles may not be especially good for you, especially if you
    have respiratory problems but it is a way of life. If one has a
    psychological need for something to worry about I suppose toner is as
    good as anything, but of course it is a load of crap.

    There are surely enough real things in the world to worry about. While
    in some areas pollution is much less than it was a few decades ago, in a
    lot of third world countries people still use the same river as a sewer
    and a drinking water source. In the US lake Erie was once considered
    dead or nearly dead, today people fish in it. In 1969 the Cuyahoga
    River in Cleveland caught fire, threatening large areas of the city,
    today that river runs clean.

    The world is running out of oil, man is over fishing the oceans. Major
    war looms in the Mid East. With these real things to be concerned
    about, why to gullible idiots make up crap like toner disease and the
    human caused catastrophic global warming myth? I think as less people
    are very religious today that need for something to believe in gets
    filled with these crackpot schemes.

    Jerry, Aug 3, 2007
  12. Greg House

    Rob S Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > The world is running out of oil, man is over fishing the oceans. Major
    > war looms in the Mid East. With these real things to be concerned
    > about, why to gullible idiots make up crap like toner disease and the
    > human caused catastrophic global warming myth? I think as less people
    > are very religious today that need for something to believe in gets
    > filled with these crackpot schemes.

    Maybe New Zealanders are less religious than, say, 20 years ago, but a
    large part of the middle east conflict, along with politics and oil, is
    driven along by religious fanaticism. If it was only about the oil, both
    sides would have had enough of the bloodshed by now and settled or be
    settling around a table. There are a number of different Muslim groups
    involved in the fighting, and a fair percentage of them are driven more
    by religious fundamentalism than they are by politics or greed, and
    there won't be any peace until they are catered to, and how that is
    going to happen is anybodies guess.

    And I don't agree that the theory of global warming is a myth either.
    Maybe the scientists don't have it down pat, but there too many
    correlations with human activity and unusual weather patterns to just
    dismiss it out of hand. Maybe humanity has only a minor effect, but even
    that small effect on the weather may be enough to cause an earlier ice
    age than we would have had otherwise, or go the other direction and our
    pollution may just be enough to cause rapid glacial thawing and a rise
    in sea levels. It would be a calamity indeed if the earth was rendered
    uninhabitable because none of us were willing to make even such small
    changes as using recyclable shopping bags, or buying electric or hybrid
    cars, or larger changes such as replacing fossil fuel burning power
    stations with renewable, non-polluting methods, or reclaiming methane
    from landfills. We're not going to be around to see it, but my money is
    riding on future generations calling the baby-boomers, x and y
    generations the most profligate and self-centered in the planet's history.

    And that's enough ranting. This thread is getting way off what we
    usually get in nz.comp, namely os wars and complaints about isps. :)
    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.

    Rob S, Aug 3, 2007