    available.

    Anyone else have any ideas?
    , Jun 13, 2006

  2. I fought w/ this same problem on fdisk a couple months ago.

    I finally figured out that i had the jumper on the drive set to maximum of
    32G, though mine was a 120G.
    I had it set like that cuase i didnt want all the space before and i had
    forgoten. Once i moved the jumper i
    could then allocated my drive as i wanted.

    Jeffrey Lebowski, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    Jeffrey Lebowski wrote:
    > I fought w/ this same problem on fdisk a couple months ago.
    >
    > I finally figured out that i had the jumper on the drive set to maximum of
    > 32G, though mine was a 120G.
    > I had it set like that cuase i didnt want all the space before and i had
    > forgoten. Once i moved the jumper i
    > could then allocated my drive as i wanted.

    Appreciate the input Jeff, but as I stated, the last time I had to
    reformat and install....FDisk worked fine. So I know its not the jumper
    setting.

    Looks like partition magic is on the horizon....I guess this way, when
    i need to reinstall in the future, I'll at least have it to use.

    > <> wrote in message
    > >I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
    > > FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
    > > the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
    > >
    > > Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
    > > the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
    > >
    > > Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
    > > about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
    > > on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
    > >
    > > I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
    > > available.
    > >
    > > Anyone else have any ideas?

    , Jun 13, 2006
  4. Dave Guest

    <> wrote in message
    | I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
    | FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
    | the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
    |
    | Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
    | the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
    |
    | Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
    | about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
    | on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
    |
    | I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
    | available.
    |
    | Anyone else have any ideas?

    Go to their Website. Thee is program you can DL to format that drive for
    you... and I beleive it's Interactive, so you can do it straight from their
    site.
    Dave, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Justisaur Guest

    wrote:
    > I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
    > FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
    > the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
    >
    > Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
    > the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
    >
    > Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
    > about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
    > on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
    >
    > I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
    > available.
    >
    > Anyone else have any ideas?

    Try using disk management, you should be able to set up the additional
    partitions there. (right click "my computer" - manage - storage - disk
    management.)

    - Justisaur
    Justisaur, Jun 13, 2006
  6. John Holmes Guest

    Dave "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!! You stupid ****.

    --
    Your mother was a bearded cleaner who copulated with anyone and anything
    in a cave deep in the Rocky Mountains.
    John Holmes, Jun 13, 2006
  7. doS Guest

    use windows....next.......

    doS, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Spuds Guest

    On 13 Jun 2006 13:50:13 -0700, wrote:

    >I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
    >FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
    >the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
    >
    >Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
    >the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
    >
    >Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
    >about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
    >on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
    >
    >I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
    >available.
    >
    >Anyone else have any ideas?

    Use the utility your drive manufacturer provides on their website. They all
    have 'em.
    --
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
    Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day;
    Spuds, Jun 13, 2006
  9. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
    > FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to
    > partition the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to
    > Seagate.
    >
    > Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
    > the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
    >
    > Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
    > about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk
    > again on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
    >
    > I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I
    > see available.
    >
    > Anyone else have any ideas?

    FDISK is leftover from DOS and W9X versions. It is NOT used with XP. You
    need to partition and format using the XP tools - either do it during setup,
    or use Disk Management after Windows is installed.

    FDISK uses FAT16 or FAT32 (in your case, FAT32) and it is NOT as good a
    system as XP's NTFS file system. If it were me, I'd erase the hard drive and
    start over, using the correct partitioning procedures and formats.

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2006
  10. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > spewed forth:
    >> I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
    >> FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to
    >> partition the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to
    >> Seagate.
    >>
    >> Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
    >> the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
    >>
    >> Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
    >> about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk
    >> again on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
    >>
    >> I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I
    >> see available.
    >>
    >> Anyone else have any ideas?

    > FDISK is leftover from DOS and W9X versions. It is NOT used with XP. You
    > need to partition and format using the XP tools - either do it during
    > setup, or use Disk Management after Windows is installed.
    >
    > FDISK uses FAT16 or FAT32 (in your case, FAT32) and it is NOT as good a
    > system as XP's NTFS file system. If it were me, I'd erase the hard drive
    > and start over, using the correct partitioning procedures and formats.
    >
    > --
    > I always finish what I sta

    I'd use disk management to reformat the drive. It will allow you to
    format/partition the entire drive.
    The Addison's, Jun 14, 2006
  11. doS Guest

    really? windows can erase itself?

    doS, Jun 14, 2006
  12. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:iMJjg.1329$,
    doS spewed forth:
    > really? windows can erase itself?

    There's a new trick <g>

    > "The Addison's" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:,
    >>> spewed forth:

    >>> FDISK is leftover from DOS and W9X versions. It is NOT used with
    >>> XP. You need to partition and format using the XP tools - either do
    >>> it during setup, or use Disk Management after Windows is installed.
    >>>
    >>> FDISK uses FAT16 or FAT32 (in your case, FAT32) and it is NOT as
    >>> good a system as XP's NTFS file system. If it were me, I'd erase
    >>> the hard drive and start over, using the correct partitioning
    >>> procedures and formats. --
    >>> I always finish what I sta
    >>>

    >> I'd use disk management to reformat the drive. It will allow you to
    >> format/partition the entire drive.

    --
    I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, only in
    alphabetical order, just like it should be.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2006
  13. Duane Arnold Guest

    doS wrote:
    > use windows....next.......

    Denial-Of-Shit, have you taken a shit lately? Maybe, you should consider
    taking a soapy enema as you stank. <g>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 14, 2006
  14. Duane Arnold Guest

    doS wrote:
    > really? windows can erase itself?

    Denial-Of-Shit, you really should think soapy enema - really.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 14, 2006
  15. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
    >FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
    >the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
    >
    >Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
    >the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
    >
    >Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
    >about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
    >on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
    >
    >I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
    >available.
    >
    >Anyone else have any ideas?

    You probably used a different version of FDISK this time, perhaps from
    an older version of Windows 9x

    If you want to increase the size of the existing partition you will
    need to use a partitioning utility such as Partition Magic or BootItNG
    (www.bootitng.com) to do this.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Jun 14, 2006
  16. Ben Myers Guest

    See if this is helpful.

    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/32_338/index.html

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 14, 2006
  17. Guest

    Thanks Ben....I appreciate the feedback...

    I wonder, I have my file table installed as FAT32...in XP...and I tried
    to use the XP Disk management feature to find the lost hard drive
    space, which is over 40 gig, and it didn't work....If I switched to
    NTFS, I wonder if the XP Disk Management feature would work then?

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > See if this is helpful.
    >
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/32_338/index.html
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > <> wrote in message news:...
    > > I just had to reformat a Seagate 80 gig hard drive. Last time I used
    > > FDisk to set up partitions...it worked fine. It allowed me to partition
    > > the 80 gig into 2 35 gig, which is normal according to Seagate.
    > >
    > > Now FDisk did not work, and XP is only recognizing 32 gig of the 80,
    > > the rest of it is non-allocated, or is hidden.
    > >
    > > Trying to find a way to allocate the left over drive space, which is
    > > about 38 gig, without blowing 70 bux on software, or trying Fdisk again
    > > on a reload. Which frankly, I just don't want to do.
    > >
    > > I know I may be asking a bit much, but those are the options that I see
    > > available.
    > >
    > > Anyone else have any ideas?

    , Jun 14, 2006
  18. Ben Myers Guest

    Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows ME
    boot floppy. Use it to start the problem computer, select "Start without
    CD support", then type "fdisk /status" and make sure the computer is seeing
    remaining free space. If not, you may have to update the BIOS or use a drive
    overlay program.

    http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 14, 2006
  19. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >Thanks Ben....I appreciate the feedback...
    >
    >I wonder, I have my file table installed as FAT32...in XP...and I tried
    >to use the XP Disk management feature to find the lost hard drive
    >space, which is over 40 gig, and it didn't work....If I switched to
    >NTFS, I wonder if the XP Disk Management feature would work then?

    If you originally partitioned the drive as FAT32 using Windows XP's
    disk management then that is reason why you have only 32 gb. Windows
    XP will not create FAT32 partitions larger than 32 gb. Period.

    It will use them, provided they are created by some other method, but
    it will not create them. You have to use NTFS if you want to create
    a partition larger than 32 gb using Windows XP's Disk Management
    utility.

    What do you see if you use Start - Run - DISKMGMT.MSC ?

    Select View - Bottom and choose the Graphical View. That should show
    you that there is unallocated space on the drive. The "Disk List"
    view does not include the unallocated space in the listing.

    My 120 gb drive has, at present, 2 NTFS partitions plus 4 FAT32
    partitions, mix and match. There is no difference in the appearance
    or the functioning of DISKMGMT except with regard to the maximum size
    limit for FAT32 partitions.

    Ron Martell, Jun 14, 2006
  20. doS Guest

    I did think it, and you were born....