    only be 2mb?

    Thanks.

    E.

    Emlyn, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Emlyn

    Joe Guest

    you are on NT4

    Joe, Jan 16, 2005

  3. Emlyn

    derek / nul Guest

    On 15 Jan 2005 16:37:22 -0800, (Emlyn) wrote:

    >Can someone tell me why is it that when I use fdisk to partition a new
    >40gb hdd, it tells me the disk is 8mb and the largest partition can
    >only be 2mb?

    When you start fdisk, it will ask if you want "large disk support", you must
    say yes.

    If you don't get that message, you are using dos 6.xx and its the wrong version
    for what you are trying to do.

    derek / nul, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Emlyn

    Plato Guest

    Emlyn wrote:

    > Can someone tell me why is it that when I use fdisk to partition a new
    > 40gb hdd, it tells me the disk is 8mb and the largest partition can
    > only be 2mb?

    Your using the wrong bootdisk or not using fdisk correctly or your hard
    drive parameters are not set up correctly in the bios or your pc has an
    8 gig bios limit.

    Plato, Jan 16, 2005
  5. Emlyn

    Emlyn Guest

    Derek,

    You are right on the money there. I am using DOS 6.xx. Can you advise
    which version of DOS I should be using in order to get the proper Large Disk
    support?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Emlyn.

    Emlyn, Jan 16, 2005
  6. Emlyn

    Thor Guest

    "Emlyn" <> wrote in message
    > Derek,
    >
    > You are right on the money there. I am using DOS 6.xx. Can you advise
    > which version of DOS I should be using in order to get the proper Large
    > Disk support?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Emlyn.

    You need a windows98 or WinME startup disk.

    Thor, Jan 16, 2005
  7. Emlyn

    chilimac Guest

    The old FAT 16 would only recognize and let you use a maximum
    partition size of 2.1g. This restriction was gone with FAT 32.

    It was recommended that you use a windows 98 or ME startup disk.
    Luckily I never tried ME, but the windows 98 startup disk will work
    nicely.

    Good Luck
    chilimac

    chilimac, Jan 16, 2005
  8. Emlyn

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > You are right on the money there. I am using DOS 6.xx. Can you advise
    > > which version of DOS I should be using in order to get the proper Large
    > > Disk support?

    > You need a windows98 or WinME startup disk.

    Didn't fat32 start with the win95B's fdisk?

    Plato, Jan 16, 2005
  9. Emlyn

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> > You are right on the money there. I am using DOS 6.xx. Can you advise
    >> > which version of DOS I should be using in order to get the proper Large
    >> > Disk support?

    >> You need a windows98 or WinME startup disk.

    > Didn't fat32 start with the win95B's fdisk?

    yeah, but I didn't want to go into distinguishing between the whole
    Win95A,B,C thing. Easier to just point them to a Win98 or WinME disk. Just
    lazy today I guess. :)

    Thor, Jan 16, 2005
  10. Emlyn

    Guest

    Emlyn wrote:
    > Can someone tell me why is it that when I use fdisk to partition a

    new
    > 40gb hdd, it tells me the disk is 8mb and the largest partition can
    > only be 2mb?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > E.

    you may be using a crummy old version of fdisk .

    download a win98 boot disk with a late version of fdisk here
    www.bootdisk.com

    , Jan 16, 2005
  11. Emlyn

    nicholas Guest

    Emlyn wrote:
    > Derek,
    >
    > You are right on the money there. I am using DOS 6.xx. Can you advise
    > which version of DOS I should be using in order to get the proper Large Disk
    > support?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Emlyn.
    >

    > "derek / nul" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On 15 Jan 2005 16:37:22 -0800, (Emlyn) wrote:
    >>

    >>>Can someone tell me why is it that when I use fdisk to partition a new
    >>>40gb hdd, it tells me the disk is 8mb and the largest partition can
    >>>only be 2mb?

    >>When you start fdisk, it will ask if you want "large disk support", you
    >>must
    >>say yes.
    >>
    >>If you don't get that message, you are using dos 6.xx and its the wrong
    >>version
    >>for what you are trying to do.

    Emlyn

    Try here..
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263044

    HTH

    --
    Nicholas

    Please reply to this newsgroup

    nicholas, Jan 17, 2005
  12. Emlyn

    derek / nul Guest

    On 16 Jan 2005 12:24:20 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> > You are right on the money there. I am using DOS 6.xx. Can you advise
    >> > which version of DOS I should be using in order to get the proper Large
    >> > Disk support?

    >> You need a windows98 or WinME startup disk.

    >Didn't fat32 start with the win95B's fdisk?

    Yes, it did, but a 98 disk is likely easier to get.

    derek / nul, Jan 17, 2005
  13. Emlyn

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > >> You need a windows98 or WinME startup disk.

    > > Didn't fat32 start with the win95B's fdisk?

    > yeah, but I didn't want to go into distinguishing between the whole
    > Win95A,B,C thing. Easier to just point them to a Win98 or WinME disk. Just
    > lazy today I guess. :)

    It was just an inquiry to keep my brain up on that old stuff ie if you
    dont rewrite it to your brain now and again chkdsk converts it to
    useless chk00012.piss files which get deleted after a 6 pack.

    Oh, win95b bootdisk would really be dos 7.1 also I believe despite the
    marketing name when you do a ver.

    Plato, Jan 17, 2005
  14. Emlyn

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    >> > Didn't fat32 start with the win95B's fdisk?

    >> yeah, but I didn't want to go into distinguishing between the whole
    >> Win95A,B,C thing. Easier to just point them to a Win98 or WinME disk.
    >> Just
    >> lazy today I guess. :)

    > It was just an inquiry to keep my brain up on that old stuff ie if you
    > dont rewrite it to your brain now and again chkdsk converts it to
    > useless chk00012.piss files which get deleted after a 6 pack.
    >
    > Oh, win95b bootdisk would really be dos 7.1 also I believe despite the
    > marketing name when you do a ver.

    actually if you do a VER is still comes up Win95 IIRC. It was mostly 3rd
    party apps that identify the environment as DOS 7.1 It's been awhile though
    I could be mistaken.

    Thor, Jan 17, 2005
  15. Emlyn

    derek / nul Guest

    A win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com

    derek / nul, Jan 17, 2005
  16. Emlyn

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:03:59 +1100, derek / nul
    <> wrote:

    >A win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com

    Is that really available there? I would hope not.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 18, 2005