    instead, even if it has to be in FAT32, then switch to NTFS with the
    OS CD, but I want to know anyway.) Anyone?

    Thanks!

    What Now, Nov 26, 2008

  2. What Now

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:50:35 -0800, What Now wrote:

    >Say I have a disk divided into C:\, D:\, E:\ with D & E being logical
    >drives in the extended partition, and C:\ being the active, primary
    >partition. If I use the fdisk command to delete C:\, will DOS make D:\

    As philo said, you need to delete E,D, extended partn first.

    DOS won't make D the new C. A Win NT Class OS does.

    >the new C:\ drive? Or will D&E stay put and fidsk allow me to create a
    >new active, primary partition and name it C:\?
    >
    >(I know, you're probably wondering why I don't just format C:\
    >instead, even if it has to be in FAT32, then switch to NTFS with the
    >OS CD, but I want to know anyway.) Anyone?

    Do it the easy way that will work.

    FDISK isn't doing anything for you if that's what you need.

    >Thanks!

    Some partition manager tools, may let you do this. I seem to recall many
    years ago , wiping just C and the pri partition might have bee partition
    magic v3. Check http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

    Me

    why?, Nov 27, 2008

  3. What Now

    What Now Guest

    Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:33:54 GMT, why?
    Thanks for the answers... I don't use fdisk that often and forgot
    exactly how it works relevant to the question.

    What Now, Dec 3, 2008