    master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the drive?
    It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped machine.

    TIA
    Trent SC, Dec 6, 2005

  2. Howdy!

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    news:4395afb3$0$1472$...
    > Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
    > master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the

    drive?
    > It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped machine.

    Depends on what's wrong with the boot partition.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 6, 2005

  3. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    >> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
    >> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
    >> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
    >> machine.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > If you`ve had linux on your machine. you`ve probably had a boot loader on
    > your MBR. fdisk /MBR wiil put your boot record back to the standard
    > Windows MBR.
    > bw..OJ

    It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's on
    there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see it
    this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of the
    possible solutions.
    Trent SC, Dec 6, 2005
  4. Trent SC

    old jon Guest

    old jon, Dec 6, 2005
  5. Trent SC

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    >>> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
    >>> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
    >>> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
    >>> machine.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >> If you`ve had linux on your machine. you`ve probably had a boot loader on
    >> your MBR. fdisk /MBR wiil put your boot record back to the standard
    >> Windows MBR.
    >> bw..OJ

    > It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's on
    > there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see it
    > this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of
    > the possible solutions.

    There is nothing wrong with the MBR - it's a common problem at present with
    AVG - ignore the error!!!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 6, 2005
  6. Trent SC

    old jon Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    >>> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
    >>> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
    >>> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
    >>> machine.
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    snipped mine

    > It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's on
    > there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see it
    > this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of
    > the possible solutions.

    AVG does show changes on several items. This has been asked before on here.
    Whether the AVG forums have any info on that, I don`t know.
    It`s never bothered me tho`.
    Good luck for tonight.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Dec 6, 2005
  7. Trent SC

    Trax Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote:

    |>Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
    |>master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the drive?
    |>It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped machine.

    In most cases yes, it only rewrites the boot sector and not the
    partition tables.

    Use the correct version of format, if you use Win98 format.com on an
    XP OS your not going to boot up (in XP).

    --
    Hubble DVD's - Free downloads
    http://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/archive/topic/dvd//
    Trax, Dec 6, 2005
  8. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    > snipped mine
    >>
    >> It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's
    >> on there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to
    >> see it this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as
    >> one of the possible solutions.
    >>

    > AVG does show changes on several items. This has been asked before on
    > here.
    > Whether the AVG forums have any info on that, I don`t know.
    > It`s never bothered me tho`.
    > Good luck for tonight.
    > bw..OJ

    Thanks to you and Noel for the reassurance.
    Trent SC, Dec 6, 2005
  9. Trent SC

    Guest Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
    > master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
    > drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
    > machine.

    The command you mention will erase the first 460 bytes of the MBR (master
    boot record, the first physical sector of the hard drive and *outside* any
    partition) which is the boot program. It overwrites that area with a
    standard boot program. If you had anything else in the MBR boot program
    area, you will wipe it out. Examples of other programs that occupy the boot
    program area are: GoBack, multiboot managers, disk overlay managers (to
    compensate for an old BIOS that cannot support large hard drives), and
    security software (often which encrypts/decrypts the bytes within the
    partitions or disk). So whether you should overwrite the MBR boot program
    depends entirely on what is already there.

    Also, a virus can move the partition table so it is not in the standard
    offset within the MBR. The standard MBR boot program only knows to look in
    the standard offset to find the partition table. The infected boot program
    knows where to find the relocated partition table but the standard boot
    program won't know where to look. The result is that the standard boot
    program cannot find the partition table, tries to use whatever bytes are in
    the standard offset for the partition table entries, and you end up not
    being to access your partitions anymore.

    If you want to overwrite the MBR boot program, first use a bootable floppy
    to use a MBR backup utility to save what it already there. Then stomp on
    the MBR boot program area using FDISK /MBR (or FIXMBR for Win2000/XP). Then
    you can restore the old MBR boot program in case you really need it.

    There is no "repairing" of the MBR boot program when using FDISK /MBR (or
    FIXMBR). You end up OVERWRITING all those bytes.
    Guest, Dec 6, 2005
  10. Trent SC

    Guest Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    >>> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard drive's
    >>> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
    >>> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
    >>> machine.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >> If you`ve had linux on your machine. you`ve probably had a boot loader on
    >> your MBR. fdisk /MBR wiil put your boot record back to the standard
    >> Windows MBR.
    >> bw..OJ

    > It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's on
    > there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see it
    > this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of
    > the possible solutions.

    The MBR is fine. AVG is fucked up. You will have to wait until Grisoft
    fixes their AVG product. A Google search on "+AVG +MBR" would have shown
    other users reporting the same problem and the responses.
    Guest, Dec 6, 2005
  11. Trent SC

    John Holmes Guest

    Trax blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Trent SC" <> wrote:
    >
    >|>Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard
    >|>drive's master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained
    >|>on the drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard
    >|>Dell-shipped machine.
    >
    > In most cases yes, it only rewrites the boot sector and not the
    > partition tables.
    >
    > Use the correct version of format, if you use Win98 format.com on an
    > XP OS your not going to boot up (in XP).

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!

    --
    Your mother was a flatulent liar who joined a religious cult in kinky sex
    clubs.
    John Holmes, Dec 6, 2005
  12. Howdy!

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > >> Am I right in thinking that the above command will repair a hard

    drive's
    > >> master boot record WITHOUT deleting any of the data contained on the
    > >> drive? It's a single-partition hard drive on a standard Dell-shipped
    > >> machine.
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >>

    > > If you`ve had linux on your machine. you`ve probably had a boot loader

    on
    > > your MBR. fdisk /MBR wiil put your boot record back to the standard
    > > Windows MBR.
    > > bw..OJ

    > It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's on
    > there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see it
    > this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of

    the
    > possible solutions.

    XP? Then FDISK/MBR will make it unbootable.

    Try the XP fix, FIXMBR from the Recovery Console.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 7, 2005
  13. Trent SC

    old jon Guest

    "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy!
    >
    > "Trent SC" <> wrote in message

    > drive's

    >> > If you`ve had linux on your machine. you`ve probably had a boot loader

    > on
    >> > your MBR. fdisk /MBR wiil put your boot record back to the standard
    >> > Windows MBR.
    >> > bw..OJ

    >> It's a standard machine which came with XP preinstalled. No other OS's
    >> on
    >> there. AVG is reporting some MBR errors, and I'll be going over to see
    >> it
    >> this evening, so I wanted to check if this option was do'able as one of

    > the
    >> possible solutions.

    > XP? Then FDISK/MBR will make it unbootable.

    Sorry to disagree RwP. I`ve just dumped a linux install off my system.
    And used fdisk /MBR to get rid of the lilo booter.
    It worked perfectly (WinXP SP2)
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 7, 2005
  14. Howdy!

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message

    > > XP? Then FDISK/MBR will make it unbootable.
    > >

    > Sorry to disagree RwP. I`ve just dumped a linux install off my system.
    > And used fdisk /MBR to get rid of the lilo booter.
    > It worked perfectly (WinXP SP2)
    > bw..OJ
    >
    > > Try the XP fix, FIXMBR from the Recovery Console.

    Dunno where you found an FDISK that looked for NTLOADER instead of
    IO.SYS then.

    IOW - either you're confused, you've got a version of FDISK that
    I've never seen, or you're out and out lying there, me boyo.

    But the Win98 FDISK/MBR puts a boot strap that looks for IO.SYS to
    continue. Which *ahem* doesn't work with any of the NT OSes.

    I've had to recover several times from folks that do that.

    Which is why XP and 2K's recovery consoles HAVE the FIXMBR command -
    does the same thing, but the bootstrap code looks for NTLOADER instead of
    IO.SYS .

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 7, 2005
  15. Trent SC

    old jon Guest

    WinMe boot disk.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 7, 2005
  16. Trent SC

    Noel Paton Guest

    Noel Paton, Dec 7, 2005
  17. Howdy!

    "old jon" <> wrote in message
    > WinMe boot disk.
    > bw..OJ

    Whose standard FDISK also installs looking for IO.SYS not NTLOADER.

    VERY strange boot disk.

    Care to send Noel a copy of it as a disk image? I'm sure Microsoft
    would LOVE to have a copy of that FDISK ...

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 8, 2005
  18. Trent SC

    Guest Guest

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ralph Wade Phillips" <> wrote in message

    >> > XP? Then FDISK/MBR will make it unbootable.
    >> >

    >> Sorry to disagree RwP. I`ve just dumped a linux install off my system.
    >> And used fdisk /MBR to get rid of the lilo booter.
    >> It worked perfectly (WinXP SP2)
    >> bw..OJ
    >>
    >> > Try the XP fix, FIXMBR from the Recovery Console.
    >> >

    > Dunno where you found an FDISK that looked for NTLOADER instead of
    > IO.SYS then.
    >
    > IOW - either you're confused, you've got a version of FDISK that
    > I've never seen, or you're out and out lying there, me boyo.
    >
    > But the Win98 FDISK/MBR puts a boot strap that looks for IO.SYS to
    > continue. Which *ahem* doesn't work with any of the NT OSes.
    >
    > I've had to recover several times from folks that do that.
    >
    > Which is why XP and 2K's recovery consoles HAVE the FIXMBR
    > command -
    > does the same thing, but the bootstrap code looks for NTLOADER instead of
    > IO.SYS .
    >
    > RwP

    Read my prior post. The MBR bootstrap program *never* gives a gnat's fart
    about which OS is installed in the active-marked partition. The BIOS loads
    into memory the 460-byte area of the first sector of the first physically
    detected hard drive (i.e., the MBR bootstrap program area) and then passes
    control to it. That bootstrap program merely reads the partition table to
    see which one is marked active and then loads the *partition's* boot sector
    (the first sector of THAT partition) into memory and passes control to it.
    That is all! It hasn't a clue about NTLOADER, IO.SYS, and any other files
    *in* the file system *in* that partition. The OS has to put into its system
    partition's boot sector whatever loader program it wants to use.

    I've used FDISK /MBR in many cases where the OS was Windows NT4, Windows
    2000, or Windows XP. Works just great providing there isn't a real need for
    whatever already is occupying the MBR bootstrap program area (again, see my
    prior post). Unless you have used some software, boot manager, or got stuck
    with a virus that was dumb enough to move the physical offset of the
    partition table in the MBR so the standard bootstrap program cannot load it,
    the standard bootstrap program never knows which OS is in a partition (well,
    it can by looking at the attributes in each partition table entry of which
    there are only 4 because only primary partitions are listed).

    It is NOT up to the MBR bootstrap program to load the operating system. All
    it does is load whatever is in the first sector in the active-marked
    partition! It is up to whatever is in the first sector of the partition to
    load the OS in that partition. The MBR boot program is very elementary.
    There are some minor changes which results in different byte counts for the
    standard boot program that FDISK /MBR puts into the 460-byte area in the MBR
    between FDISK provided with Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows
    ME, and the bootstrap program put into the MBR by FIXMBR for Windows 2000
    and Windows XP, but it is essentially the SAME PROGRAM!

    Stop confusing the MBR bootstrap program with the partition's boot program.
    They are separate programs. The OS doesn't care which MBR boot program
    loaded its own partition boot program into memory and passed control to it.
    That is why you can use a simple multiboot manager that usurps the 460-byte
    MBR bootstrap program area. It simply gives you the choice of which
    partition's boot sector to load to start the OS in that partition without
    you having to change which one is marked active. It is up to the OS to put
    whatever it wants in its own partition's boot sector to start the process of
    Guest, Dec 8, 2005
  19. Trent SC

    old jon Guest

    <Vanguard> wrote in message
> [...]

    > 460-byte area in the MBR between FDISK provided with Windows 3.1, Windows
    > 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME, and the bootstrap program put into the MBR
    > by FIXMBR for Windows 2000 and Windows XP, but it is essentially the SAME
    > PROGRAM!
    >
    > Stop confusing the MBR bootstrap program with the partition's boot
    > program. They are separate programs. The OS doesn't care which MBR boot
    > program loaded its own partition boot program into memory and passed
    > control to it. That is why you can use a simple multiboot manager that
    > usurps the 460-byte MBR bootstrap program area. It simply gives you the
    > choice of which partition's boot sector to load to start the OS in that
    > partition without you having to change which one is marked active. It is
    > up to the OS to put whatever it wants in its own partition's boot sector
    > to start the process of loading that OS.

    Thanks big V. I know what I did. And I know it worked. I did a
    fdisk /MBR again last night to prove it.My system booted normally to WinXP.
    best wishes..OJ
    old jon, Dec 9, 2005
  20. Trent SC

    Noel Paton Guest

    <Vanguard> wrote in message
    > Read my prior post. The MBR bootstrap program *never* gives a gnat's fart
    > about which OS is installed in the active-marked partition. The BIOS
    > loads into memory the 460-byte area of the first sector of the first
    > physically detected hard drive (i.e., the MBR bootstrap program area) and
    > then passes control to it. That bootstrap program merely reads the
    > partition table to see which one is marked active and then loads the
    > *partition's* boot sector (the first sector of THAT partition) into memory
    > and passes control to it. That is all! It hasn't a clue about NTLOADER,
    > IO.SYS, and any other files *in* the file system *in* that partition. The
    > OS has to put into its system partition's boot sector whatever loader
    > program it wants to use.
    >
    > I've used FDISK /MBR in many cases where the OS was Windows NT4, Windows
    > 2000, or Windows XP. Works just great providing there isn't a real need
    > for whatever already is occupying the MBR bootstrap program area (again,
    > see my prior post). Unless you have used some software, boot manager, or
    > got stuck with a virus that was dumb enough to move the physical offset of
    > the partition table in the MBR so the standard bootstrap program cannot
    > load it, the standard bootstrap program never knows which OS is in a
    > partition (well, it can by looking at the attributes in each partition
    > table entry of which there are only 4 because only primary partitions are
    > listed).
    >
    > It is NOT up to the MBR bootstrap program to load the operating system.
    > All it does is load whatever is in the first sector in the active-marked
    > partition! It is up to whatever is in the first sector of the partition
    > to load the OS in that partition. The MBR boot program is very
    > elementary. There are some minor changes which results in different byte
    > counts for the standard boot program that FDISK /MBR puts into the
    > 460-byte area in the MBR between FDISK provided with Windows 3.1, Windows
    > 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME, and the bootstrap program put into the MBR
    > by FIXMBR for Windows 2000 and Windows XP, but it is essentially the SAME
    > PROGRAM!
    >
    > Stop confusing the MBR bootstrap program with the partition's boot
    > program. They are separate programs. The OS doesn't care which MBR boot
    > program loaded its own partition boot program into memory and passed
    > control to it. That is why you can use a simple multiboot manager that
    > usurps the 460-byte MBR bootstrap program area. It simply gives you the
    > choice of which partition's boot sector to load to start the OS in that
    > partition without you having to change which one is marked active. It is
    > up to the OS to put whatever it wants in its own partition's boot sector
    > to start the process of loading that OS.

    Seems I was in error.... - I asked around a bit, and the first responses (to
    your comments) are coming in.....
    <quote>
    Assuming basic disks, that's basically right. Fixmbr will leave the MBR's NT
    disk signature alone, and fdisk could be more preferable if you need to
    clear said sig. (though there are less destructive tools to do that) Older
    versions of both might have a problem loading boot sectors past the 1024
    cylinder.
    Also, Fdisk will overwrite the partition table if the end of sector
    signature word is missing. Not sure how fixmbr deals with that.

    </quote>

    So it seems that it 'can' work - but not that it's a good thing to do!

    Noel Paton, Dec 9, 2005