FCC Regulations over Vonage "DigitalVoice" and other VoIP providers

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Raqueeb Hassan, May 1, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I was reading some of the FCC regulations on Vonage, where DigitalVoice
    were exempted from traditional state public utility regulation and this
    service cannot be branded as regular telephone service. The FCC has
    already exempted another company (I guess, Pulver) from state
    regulations because of the fact that free calls are routed entirely
    over the Internet and never interconnect with the PSTN. With a
    broadband connection, the service's members talk with each other
    computer-to-computer.

    As I was browsing through google cache, the older DigitalVoice service
    could connect PSTN. Now, does that mean people still can connect to
    regular phone lines from Vonage's DigitalVoice package? Even if their
    calls traverse PSTN from Vonage's VoIP network, are not they certified
    as regular Telephone Company and not requiring the telephone licensing?

    I went over to the Vonage site, but they don't seem like offering
    DigitalVoice anymore, did they change their branded package to some
    newer names? What are the biggest challenges Vonage expect after that
    Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (PUC) order?

    TIA
    --
    Raqueeb Hassan
    Bangladesh

    ------------------- FCC News ---------------- November 9, 2004
    <snip>

    "Commission Clears Way for Increased Investment In VoIP Services Like
    Vonages "

    Washington, D.C. The Federal Communications Commission declared today
    that a type of Internet telephony service offered by Vonage Holdings
    Corp. called DigitalVoice is not subject to traditional state public
    utility regulation.

    <snip>

    Raqueeb Hassan, May 1, 2006