    Linus

    www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
    Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
    Linus Surguy, May 19, 2005

  2. Linus Surguy

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Linus Surguy wrote:
    > For those interested, the FCC have now offically announced that all
    > VoIP providers (that provide a VoIP service emulating normal
    > telephone service) in the US have to offer 'Enhanced' 911 service
    > to their customers within the next 120 days.
    >
    > Press release here:
    >
    > http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-258818A1.pdf
    >
    > Linus

    Interesting. I wonder how they propose to identify the caller's location
    when away from home or wherever..? And how do they propose users from
    other countries are dealt with when visiting the US..? If I visit my
    friends in California next year, which I hope to do, and I take my ATA
    programmed with my UK numbers, what would happen if I were to dial 911..?
    Or would I be able to dial 999 and get the emergency services in the
    UK..?!

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, May 19, 2005

  3. Linus Surguy

    UKCream Guest

    I expect your location will be identified from your ip the same as
    Google.com sends you to Google.co.uk when you have a UK ip.

    UKCream

    UKCream, May 20, 2005
  4. Linus Surguy

    Ivor Jones Guest

    UKCream wrote:
    > I expect your location will be identified from your ip the same as
    > Google.com sends you to Google.co.uk when you have a UK ip.

    I noticed that, it never used to. Very annoying.

    Ivor
    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    Ivor Jones, May 20, 2005

  5. > Interesting. I wonder how they propose to identify the caller's location
    > when away from home or wherever..? And how do they propose users from
    > other countries are dealt with when visiting the US..? If I visit my
    > friends in California next year, which I hope to do, and I take my ATA
    > programmed with my UK numbers, what would happen if I were to dial 911..?
    > Or would I be able to dial 999 and get the emergency services in the
    > UK..?!

    My understanding is that VOIP providers in the US have to *offer* enhanced
    911 service
    The customer does not need to take that offer
    The enhanced 911 service will *only* be available for those customers who
    have subscribed
    I guess you will need to tell the VOIP provider to which regional emerency
    centre you would like to be connceted wenn you dial 911 from your VOIP
    phone
    The service will not be available to people not suscribed, or to you wenn
    you are a visitor in the US

    Philippe
    Belgium
    Philippe Deleye, May 21, 2005