    software out there that lets you fax using the cable connection?
    appreciate any info. Thanks.
    , Dec 14, 2004

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I know there's ways to make phone calls using broadband connections.
    > Is there a way to fax documents the same way? My system doesn't have a
    > phone modem. I didn't bother putting one in when I built it since I
    > use cable. But lately, I've had reason to fax documents, and had to
    > use another location to do so. This lead me to wonder if there's any
    > software out there that lets you fax using the cable connection?
    > appreciate any info. Thanks.

    There are several possibilities. On my IP phone, I have the possibility to
    fax, even thought I do not have a phoneservice. Another possibility is to
    use one of the services that lets you do so. You send an email to a certain
    emailadress where the phonenumber is in front of the @ and then that service
    sends the fax. Use google and you will probably find at least 50 of these.
    Or, you can use your cellphone, if you have one. My cellphone connects to my
    computer with bluetooth, and lets me send faxes effortless.
    Terje Johan Abrahamsen, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Guest

    , Dec 14, 2004
  4. Jerry G. Guest

    There are internet faxing services, but these can easily end up being
    expensive if you need to fax on a regular basis. You will also be subject to
    their availability. Also, there is a risk of privacy issues (my own
    feeling). You will have to let them hold your credit card number as active,
    to be able to use their services. I don't feel secure about these services.

    Personally, for my own business affairs, I would not use a public internet
    fax service for my faxes. I would do this myself.

    I would get a modem, even if it is a USB one, and get a simple faxing
    software. Some of these modems come with fax software. If you are using
    XP-Pro, it comes with a very good fax software. I believe its fax software
    was written by Symantics. It just looks that way.

    If you have a serial port on your machine, you can get a simple outboard
    serial one as well. If you have a spare slot in your machine, the internal
    would be the most practical for space. Personally I like the outboard ones
    with the lights on them, so I can see what is going on while I am doing a
    fax.

    With a scanner, printer, and simple fax modem, your computer can become a
    very elaborate fax machine that is better than any of the standard desktop
    types you can buy.

    If you only need something very simple, you can also consider a low cost fax
    machine at home. This would be an independent machine that can be used
    without tying up the computer for faxing. I have both the computer set up
    for faxing, and also a descent fax machine. I use both of them. The fax
    machine also makes a good low cost photo copier.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 14, 2004
  5. the only other way to do that is to print it and use a regular fax mech.

    Melad Marji Sr, Dec 15, 2004
  6. Joel Rubin Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:52:40 -0500, wrote:

    >I know there's ways to make phone calls using broadband connections.
    >Is there a way to fax documents the same way? My system doesn't have a
    >phone modem. I didn't bother putting one in when I built it since I
    >use cable. But lately, I've had reason to fax documents, and had to
    >use another location to do so. This lead me to wonder if there's any
    >software out there that lets you fax using the cable connection?
    >appreciate any info. Thanks.

    It only works to some places and it's not always reliable but there's
    tpc.int which is free.
    Joel Rubin, Dec 15, 2004
  7. There is a way to use email for faxing letter, etc., if you have DSL or
    Cable modem service. First do a search for Faxing Services, depending on
    which type of service you have, also do a search for DSL, Cable, or
    Broadband faxing, Faxing with DSL or Cable modem. From the result listings,
    carefully look for companies that fax using DSL or Cable (some will say
    Broadband). Check out each company for comparative pricing. Some have
    limits on approximately how many faxes you send a month. That will help you
    decided which has the best pricing cost for your business or personal use.
    The company I chose was eFax. The website is www.efax.com. Hope this helps.

    Coffeecoco930

    Coffeecoco930, Dec 15, 2004