    to receive faxes, does that mean all unanswered phone calls from my cordless
    phone will default to the fax monitor instead of being answered by the
    cordless phone built in answering service? Thanks for any response.
    janastarr, May 23, 2009

  2. janastarr wrote:
    > Hello-
    >
    > Since I only receive and/or send faxes 4-5 times a year I opted not to sign
    > up and pay for the internet fax services available on the web. I can send
    > faxes from my PC via the WinXP installed fax software, but I've forgotten
    > what happens when you receive a fax and you're using the same phone line for
    > internet and voice calls (until a few months ago I had 2 phone lines but
    > disconnected one of them to upgrade to DSL from dialup). If I forget to
    > answer the phone before the fax monitor picks it up can I still retreive the
    > fax the next time I log on to my PC? Also, if I enable the WinXP fax monitor
    > to receive faxes, does that mean all unanswered phone calls from my cordless
    > phone will default to the fax monitor instead of being answered by the
    > cordless phone built in answering service? Thanks for any response.

    This isn't a wireless issue - just an XP one. A fax is only available
    when someone is sending it - they don't sit there waiting to be
    downloaded (unless you've set up a fax-to-email facility!). If the
    sending fax doesn't hear the correct "handshake" tones back, the fax
    isn't sent. If the answering service cuts in first, you'll hear a few
    beeps as the sending fax tries to set up a fax-conversation before
    giving up. Some integrated fax-machines/answering-machines can pick up
    a call and accept a fax if they hear the right tones.

    I was in the same situation you are, and decided to leave the answering
    machine to pick up unattended calls. If someone wanted to send a fax,
    they had to contact me first so I could press the "answer" button on the
    fax monitor. Now I have an ISP which provides fax-to-email as part of
    the package. I send a test fax every few weeks to make sure it doesn't
    get mothballed.

    Phil, London
    Philip Herlihy, May 24, 2009

  3. janastarr

    janastarr Guest

    Hi Philip-
    Thanks for the response, I figured it wasn't going to be simple solution.
    I've googled the web and there are a couple of websites that claim to have
    'free' fax to email service as long as you meet their criteria, so I'll check
    those out.
    janastarr, May 24, 2009
  4. janastarr wrote:
    > Hi Philip-
    > Thanks for the response, I figured it wasn't going to be simple solution.
    > I've googled the web and there are a couple of websites that claim to have
    > 'free' fax to email service as long as you meet their criteria, so I'll check
    > those out.

    The ones I've seen like this charge the sender a (modest) premium, but
    often require a certain minimum of traffic, so when you need it, it may
    have been "retired".

    Phil
    Philip Herlihy, May 25, 2009