    fee. My OS is XP.

    TIA

    Steve M.

    Steve Meyerson, May 22, 2006

  2. Steve Meyerson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Steve Meyerson spewed forth:
    > Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
    > of a standard phone line?
    >
    > My phone service is with Vonage (wideband), so my phone line is
    > disconnected, therefore my phone modem is useless. AFAIK, WinFax needs
    > a phone modem to work.
    >
    > Vonage will provide me fax capability for a monthly fee, but I was
    > wondering if there is software out there or a way to use broadband
    > (e.g. internet?) to send and receive faxes for free or for a 1-time
    > fee. My OS is XP.

    Have you ever heard of Google.com? Ask.com? Answers are there just
    waiting...

    Toolman Tim, May 22, 2006

  3. On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:33:55 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Steve Meyerson spewed forth:
    >> Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
    >> of a standard phone line?
    >>
    >> My phone service is with Vonage (wideband), so my phone line is
    >> disconnected, therefore my phone modem is useless. AFAIK, WinFax needs
    >> a phone modem to work.
    >>
    >> Vonage will provide me fax capability for a monthly fee, but I was
    >> wondering if there is software out there or a way to use broadband
    >> (e.g. internet?) to send and receive faxes for free or for a 1-time
    >> fee. My OS is XP.

    >Have you ever heard of Google.com? Ask.com? Answers are there just
    >waiting...

    Thanks.

    Steve Meyerson, May 22, 2006
  4. Steve Meyerson wrote:
    > Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
    > of a standard phone line?

    I use TrustFax. It isn't free, but the price is reasonable if your fax
    needs are limited. They give you a toll-free fax number (to receive) and
    you can send and receive straight to and from your computer. I'm using a
    cellular modem, so it works well for me.

    http://www.trustfax.com/

    "$19.95 per year
    70 Free Fax pages - incoming and outgoing
    15 MB Storage
    Additional pages at $0.10 (sent or received)
    Toll free fax number"

    There are better fax options available if you need higher volume. I
    can't remember the names of the companies but I do remember that I had
    more luck looking in the Microsoft Marketplace than I did searching with
    Google. (Note: If you run across TeleMessage, I had no luck at all
    making it perform, but it's free to try, so it's probably worth a shot.)

    There's also a faxing faq out there, but most (not all) of the links are
    dead.

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    I've been through some awful worries, and
    some of them actually happened. Mark Twain

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 22, 2006
  5. Steve Meyerson

    Jos. Wheeler Guest

    "Steve Meyerson" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
    > of a standard phone line?
    >
    > My phone service is with Vonage (wideband), so my phone line is
    > disconnected, therefore my phone modem is useless. AFAIK, WinFax needs
    > a phone modem to work.
    >
    > Vonage will provide me fax capability for a monthly fee, but I was
    > wondering if there is software out there or a way to use broadband
    > (e.g. internet?) to send and receive faxes for free or for a 1-time
    > fee. My OS is XP.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Steve M.

    Vonage gives you a dial tone-- so plug the Vonage line into your faxmodem
    and fax away. I do it all the time with mine....

    Jos.

    Jos. Wheeler, May 22, 2006
  6. On Mon, 22 May 2006 15:34:08 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
    <> wrote:

    >I use TrustFax. It isn't free, but the price is reasonable if your fax
    >needs are limited. They give you a toll-free fax number (to receive) and
    >you can send and receive straight to and from your computer. I'm using a
    >cellular modem, so it works well for me.
    >
    >http://www.trustfax.com/
    >
    >"$19.95 per year
    >70 Free Fax pages - incoming and outgoing
    >15 MB Storage
    >Additional pages at $0.10 (sent or received)
    >Toll free fax number"
    >
    >There are better fax options available if you need higher volume. I
    >can't remember the names of the companies but I do remember that I had
    >more luck looking in the Microsoft Marketplace than I did searching with
    >Google. (Note: If you run across TeleMessage, I had no luck at all
    >making it perform, but it's free to try, so it's probably worth a shot.)
    >
    >There's also a faxing faq out there, but most (not all) of the links are
    >dead.
    >
    >rl

    Thanks, Rhonda. That looks like it's exactly what I need. The "cheap"
    ones I saw limited the fax to text. This looks like I can scan a doc
    and send it as a bitmap file. True?

    Steve Meyerson, May 23, 2006
  7. On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:23:54 -0400, "Jos. Wheeler" <joe@csa> wrote:

    >Vonage gives you a dial tone-- so plug the Vonage line into your faxmodem
    >and fax away. I do it all the time with mine....
    >
    >Jos.

    A Vonage guy told me that wouldn't work, so I haven't tried it. I will
    now. Thanks.

    Steve M.

    Steve Meyerson, May 23, 2006
  8. Steve Meyerson wrote:

    > Thanks, Rhonda. That looks like it's exactly what I need. The "cheap"
    > ones I saw limited the fax to text. This looks like I can scan a doc
    > and send it as a bitmap file. True?

    True.

    And there are instructions for sending straight from your email program
    without logging into the website. The last fax I sent was a Word
    document, but as far as I know, TrustFax will accept any printable
    attachment. (All of your received faxes come to you as PDF files.)

    There's a thirty day free trial (limited to five fax pages), as well as
    a demo (you can send a fax and maybe even receive faxes for free, but
    what you send using the demo isn't private).

    Comodo is an interesting company, and their CEO is a character. :) Were
    it not for the issue of the "Launch Pad" (which is not applicable to
    TrustFax and may well be fixed by now anyway because the CEO is very
    responsive to customer feedback), I'd use a lot more of their products
    (many of which are free). I haven't been back to check out what they've
    done recently--just read some things on the web and on usenet--but I'm
    very, very pleased with the performance of TrustFax.

    rl

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 23, 2006
  9. Steve Meyerson

    me Guest

    > On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:23:54 -0400, "Jos. Wheeler" <joe@csa> wrote:
    >>
    >>Vonage gives you a dial tone-- so plug the Vonage line into your faxmodem
    >>and fax away. I do it all the time with mine....
    >>
    >>Jos.
    >>

    > A Vonage guy told me that wouldn't work, so I haven't tried it. I will
    > now. Thanks.
    >
    > Steve M.

    Any luck with it yet?

    me, May 23, 2006
  10. Steve Meyerson

    NotMe Guest

    www.onesuite.com works and is about $13 per year.

    NotMe, May 23, 2006
  11. > "Steve Meyerson" wrote:
    NotMe wrote:

    >> Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
    >> of a standard phone line?

    > www.onesuite.com works and is about $13 per year.

    You can receive, but I can't figure out how you're supposed to send.

    In my struggle for comprehension,however, I received from google what
    may be a listing for every fax service supplier out there:

    http://www.google.com/search?source...B:2005-09,GAPB:en&q=site:www.onesuite.com fax

    Perhaps contextual advertising is useful after all.

    rl

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 23, 2006
  12. Steve Meyerson

    Barry OGrady Guest

    | Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
    | of a standard phone line?

    No.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, May 23, 2006
  13. Steve Meyerson

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes there is www.efax.com and it's free.

    pcbutts1, May 23, 2006
  14. Rearranging your mis-post:

    > >"Steve Meyerson" <> wrote in message

    > | Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
    > | of a standard phone line?

    Note Steve said "receive and send" faxes.

    pcbutts1 wrote yet another misinformation:

    > Yes there is www.efax.com and it's free.

    No, it isn't. Read this:
    http://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/productOverview

    "eFaxFree"
    "Limited account; non-local number; receive faxes only"

    ...and you still have to dial a long-distance number.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 23, 2006
  15. Steve Meyerson

    Lane Guest

    I double the OneSuite recommendation. I have used their MesssageOne service
    fax to email for about a year and it works great. It is only a buck a
    month. I view my faxes on my computer. If you are interested here is the
    link, http://www.onesuite.com/products_MessageOne.asp.

    Lane

    Lane, May 23, 2006
  16. Steve Meyerson

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 10:08:14 -0700, pcbutts1 wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Fax Without Phone?
    > From: "pcbutts1" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:08:14 -0700
    >
    > Yes there is www.efax.com and it's free.

    Can't send them you fucking top posting imbecile.

    Meat Plow, May 23, 2006
  17. Steve Meyerson

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You can send and receive faxes with Efax for free. I have it and I use it. I
    paid nothing for it. Their website is wrong and outdated. You get the
    software here http://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/download I do not have a
    plus or pro account. Don't talk shit unless you know what you are talking
    about.

    pcbutts1, May 23, 2006
  18. pcbutts1 top-posted the following erroneous info:

    > You can send and receive faxes with Efax for free. I have it and I use
    > it. I paid nothing for it.

    Heh, you're stealing faxing service now?

    > Their website is wrong and outdated. You get the software here
    > http://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/download I do not have a plus or
    > pro account. Don't talk shit unless you know what you are talking
    > about.

    Your link says:

    "eFax Messenger makes faxing easy

    With eFax Messenger fax software, it's easy to save, view and edit your
    efaxes from any computer. Free with your eFax Plus or eFax Pro you can
    also use eFax Messenger to create and send faxes complete with text
    notes, highlights and your signature stamp."

    Yep. Free *software*. Not faxing service. Free with your Plus or Pro
    account. Click the "Learn more" link on the page. Notice the fees.

    I doubt if their pages are .. um .. wrong or outdated.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 23, 2006
  19. Steve Meyerson

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Ok you are right. I have a free month that I am currently working on. I
    called them, they said it was part of a promo that I got from installing 3rd
    party software.

    pcbutts1, May 24, 2006
  20. pcbutts1 wrote:

    > Ok you are right. I have a free month that I am currently working on.
    > I called them, they said it was part of a promo that I got from
    > installing 3rd party software.

    Ok, great. My ISP offers a free one-month trial as well.

    So ... are you going to apologize for telling me I'm "talking shit"?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 24, 2006