    this is better -
    http://www.cantata.com/applications/fax/faxoverip/index.cfm

    tnx for the feedback
    Phil Schuman, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Phil Schuman

    James Guest

    I have been running analogue fax machines connected via FXS ports on a
    90 site Satellite WAN (580 ms RTT) for over 3 years - they work
    perfectly.

    The Softswitch article is complete garbage - the guy who wrote that is
    clueless.

    Cisco Routers support T.38 and their own proprietary Fax protocol.
    Both work with no problems. You can run 8k G.729 and run fax over it
    using the command "fax rate voice" on your dial-peers. Cisco command
    reference:-

    >Specifies the highest possible transmission speed allowed by the voice rate. For >example, if the voice codec is G.711, fax transmission may occur up to 14,400 bps >because 14,400 bps is less than the 64-k voice rate. If the voice codec is G.729 (8k), >the fax transmission speed will be 7200 bps.

    If you require fast fax transmission then with a well deisgned dial
    plan, you can create sperate dial-peers for Fax calls using a 64k codec
    and have your voice calls use an 8k Codec.

    Check out the Cisco fax troubleshooting guide for more information on
    Cisco's Fax over VoIP implementation:-

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...leshooting_guide_chapter09186a0080558500.html

    James

    James, Aug 23, 2006