    want to send faxes not receive. Does anyone here know how I can download
    the needed file without have to go out and buy the complete Office Pro
    Edition? Probably not but still hoping.........lol

    teabag, Jul 1, 2005

  2. teabag

    FML Guest

    teabag wrote:
    > I don't have a fax machine but was told by a friend that windows xp has a
    > program that allows you to send faxes from your computer. Well I have
    > windows media edition and everytime I try to set up the fax feature it
    > fails. On the internet I read the instructions on how to set up fax direct
    > from your computer and after following the instructions to the letter it
    > cannot locate the proper file. It says nothing about having to have
    > professional office edition or such so why am I unable to set it up. I only
    > want to send faxes not receive. Does anyone here know how I can download
    > the needed file without have to go out and buy the complete Office Pro
    > Edition? Probably not but still hoping.........lol

    You do not need Office of any kind to send faxes in XP. It has faxing
    functionality built in. You will need a fax modem. Your machine does
    have a fax modem, right? And your fax modem shows up in device manager
    as working properly will all drivers installed?

    I would help if you would tell us the specific error message and file
    that can't be found.

    Typically, all you do is go into Control Panel > Printers and Other
    Hardware > Printers and Faxes and from Printer Tasks select "Set Up
    Faxing". It should walk you thru thge process.

    FML, Jul 1, 2005

  3. teabag wrote:
    > I don't have a fax machine but was told by a friend that windows xp
    > has a program that allows you to send faxes from your computer. Well
    > I have windows media edition and everytime I try to set up the fax
    > feature it fails. On the internet I read the instructions on how to
    > set up fax direct from your computer and after following the
    > instructions to the letter it cannot locate the proper file. It says
    > nothing about having to have professional office edition or such so
    > why am I unable to set it up. I only want to send faxes not receive.
    > Does anyone here know how I can download the needed file without have
    > to go out and buy the complete Office Pro Edition? Probably not but
    > still hoping.........lol

    Well of course it won't, you fucktard! You're using cable!

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jul 1, 2005
  4. teabag

    Vanguard Guest

    "teabag" <> wrote in message
    > I don't have a fax machine

    And it sounds like you don't have a fax modem, either!

    > but was told by a friend

    So, did your, ahem, friend actually volunteer his/her time to actually
    help set up what he/she thinks should work on your setup?

    > that windows xp has a program that allows you to send faxes from your
    > computer.

    Yes, it does.

    > Well I have windows media edition

    Some features are missing from the Home version of Windows XP that are
    in the Pro version. However, according to
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306550, the fax feature looks to be
    available in both those versions, so it is likely that it is available
    in the Media edition, too.

    > and everytime I try to set up the fax feature it fails.

    Oh, yeah, that was detailed. You actually expect your car to get fixed
    when taking it to the shop and just saying "It don't work"? See the
    following articles:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > On the internet I read the instructions on how to set up fax direct
    > from your computer

    So are you actually going to tell *us* where you found this so-called
    information on the Internet? It's a big place, especially when provided
    with an extremely vague description. "Fax direct" makes it sound like
    you are trying to subscribe to an online facsimile service where you
    send them the document and THEY do the faxing.

    > and after following the instructions to the letter it cannot locate
    > the proper file. It says nothing about having to have professional
    > office edition

    Because that isn't required to use the Fax Service in Windows XP.

    > or such

    Well, that covers EVERYTHING else. Someone that says, "It's <this>, or
    something" has included everything. There's a lot of software out
    there. For example, there's the software that provides the hardware
    interface to your fax modem, if you have one, which Windows XP might not
    have included in its suite of generic drivers.

    > so why am I unable to set it up. I only want to send faxes not
    > receive.

    I don't recall ever seeing fax hardware or fax software that only send
    and could not receive. However, you do need to have the hardware in
    your system (i.e., a fax modem) if you want to do either. Or you need
    to explain which "fax direct" service you are trying to use to whom you
    send your document and they do the actual faxing.

    > Does anyone here know how I can download the needed file

    You weren't told WHICH file was missing? If so, you think we can divine
    which file that is without you telling us?

    > without have to go out and buy the complete Office Pro Edition?
    > Probably not but still hoping.........lol

    You might be trying to use the included Fax Service in Windows XP for
    faxing, but that requires you actually have a fax-capable analog modem.
    Since you are posting from a cable broadband provider rather than a
    dial-up ISP, there's a good chance your computer doesn't have a modem
    or, if it does, that it is not a fax-capable modem.

    Vanguard, Jul 1, 2005
  5. teabag

    Dave Lear Guest

    "teabag" wrote in message news:

    > I don't have a fax machine but was told by a friend that windows xp
    > has a program that allows you to send faxes from your computer.
    > Well I have windows media edition and everytime I try to set up the
    > fax feature it fails. On the internet I read the instructions on how to
    > set up fax direct from your computer and after following the instructions
    > to the letter it cannot locate the proper file. It says nothing about
    > having to have professional office edition or such so why am I unable
    > to set it up. I only want to send faxes not receive. Does anyone here
    > know how I can download the needed file without have to go out and
    > buy the complete Office Pro Edition? Probably not but still
    > hoping.........lol

    How to enable and configure the Fax service in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306550

    How to receive a fax in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306662

    Dave Lear, Jul 2, 2005
  6. teabag

    Poo Guest

    Nice and helpful. troll douchebag

    Poo, Jul 4, 2005
  7. Poo wrote:
    > Nice and helpful. troll douchebag

    Nice? No. Helpful? Yes -- unlike your response.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 4, 2005