Fax to email (and vice versa)

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Theo Markettos, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. [please followup appropriately to uk.telecom or uk.telecom.voip]

    I'm looking for a fax to email service, and possibly an email to fax service
    too. Something like:

    Geographic UK or US number (it's all international so maybe US is better)
    Preferably receive as PDF not TIFF
    Outbound costs approaching those of VOIP/dialthroughs (rather than BT's
    silly rates as many seem to)
    Actually works (I never got fax modems to work, there was always a problem)

    Any suggestions? Most of the UK ones seem to be based around 08xx numbers
    which I've had trouble with internationally in the past.

    I was wondering whether this might work somehow with one of the VOIP
    providers somehow? Is there any (pref. Linux) software out there that does
    this sort of gatewaying that I could hook up to a VOIP provider who could
    cope with faxes. Or does a VOIP provider have such packages included? I
    notice voiptalk.org does fax2email - but it's unclear what else I would have
    to sign up to. The same goes for voipfone.co.uk. Perhaps I'd be better off
    with a US VOIP provider given I don't need a UK number?

    Thanks,
    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 3, 2006

  2. Theo Markettos

    Guest

    You could try speaking to someone at www.inweb.co.uk

    I use them for 0800 and 0870 fax to email, which arrives on my pda as a
    pdf file (I could choose tiff instead I think).

    They may well also offer UK geographic fax to email, but I'm not sure
    about US numbers?

    Regards

    Simon Clark
    Business Telecoms

    , Nov 3, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > You could try speaking to someone at www.inweb.co.uk
    >
    > I use them for 0800 and 0870 fax to email, which arrives on my pda as a
    > pdf file (I could choose tiff instead I think).
    >
    > They may well also offer UK geographic fax to email, but I'm not sure
    > about US numbers?

    Thanks... I think I'm going to try Gradwell:
    http://www.gradwell.com/voip/fax2email.php
    Sending faxes is expensive but there's a low cost per month, so as it's not
    going to get used very much it's probably better than paying more. They
    don't do PDF, which is a bit of a pain though. I'm wondering if I can rig
    up a mail filter script that pulls out all the TIFF attachments from an
    email and inserts them into a PDF then forwards the PDF.

    http://web2.yac.com/fax/Introduction.do
    looks interesting too, though 6ukp/month is a bit too pricey for me.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Theo Markettos

    Bob Goulden Guest

    Bob Goulden, Nov 7, 2006
  5. In uk.telecom Bob Goulden <> wrote:

    > or try
    >
    > www.contactnumbers.com

    That's an 0870, which isn't terribly good if you want a number to be called
    from abroad.

    It's well hidden but efax.com offer a free option (with emailed adverts, I
    think)
    https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree
    They give you an 0871 if you ask for a UK number, but when I asked for a US
    they gave me one in +1 (309) which is Peoria, Illinois. I'm using this to
    test for the moment.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 7, 2006
  6. Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    > It's well hidden but efax.com offer a free option (with emailed adverts, I
    > think)
    > https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree

    Hmm... it's not that wonderful because they send out faxes in proprietary
    ..efx format, which can only be read by installing their (Windows-only)
    program. There's a web interface too, but faxes are deleted from that after
    31 days.

    Also I discover 18185 isn't reliable enough to send faxes (to my test number
    in the US, anyway). Are there any dialthroughs that support faxing? Or
    VOIP providers?

    Thanks
    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 9, 2006
  7. Theo Markettos

    Guest

    On 09 Nov 2006 10:12:16 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >There's a web interface too, but faxes are deleted from that after
    >31 days.

    They're the company we used to use, till they changed our fax number
    after giving less than a week's notice.

    , Nov 10, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > They're the company we used to use, till they changed our fax number
    > after giving less than a week's notice.

    Hmm... Googling revealed this happened in ~2000 too. Steer clear, I think.

    Now I'm trying http://www.popfax.com/
    1.99 EUR for a week trial/short term account
    17.99 EUR for 3 months
    49.99 EUR for a year
    0.05 EUR per page (from Web only for trial week, mail2fax on a longer
    subscription)

    And they deliver PDFs or TIFFs to your mailbox, or you can download them
    from their web interface. Give out geographic UK numbers (I've got
    020 808xxxxx) as well as France/Germany/Italy/Spain/Romania/Moldova (the last
    two are odd, but apparently they're trying to break into Eastern Europe).
    They also do SMS alerts when an incoming fax is received, which is quite
    handy (chargeable, but can't work out how much)

    Accept a quite varied selection of files for sending (including MS Office
    and OpenOffice documents as well as PDF/PS).

    Looks promising - I'll see how it goes...

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 14, 2006
  9. Theo Markettos

    Guest

    On 14 Nov 2006 11:44:18 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >Hmm... Googling revealed this happened in ~2000 too.

    I think that's when I was referring to. It was a while ago. I'll not
    forgive them this century, though.

    , Nov 15, 2006
  10. wrote:
    > I think that's when I was referring to. It was a while ago. I'll not
    > forgive them this century, though.

    Quite, and their service doesn't really watch up anyway. Popfax seems to be
    working for me (at least when my senders put the paper in the right way
    round!) and it does PDFs. Trying about 7pm the latency wasn't too bad -
    about 5 mins from clicking send on the webform to it appearing on the
    recipients (international) fax machine. Haven't yet tried using it to send
    to seriously obscure countries, but in Europe it seems to be OK.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 16, 2006
  11. Theo Markettos

    GeoZac Guest

    "Theo Markettos" wrote:

    > ....... Popfax seems to be
    > working for me ............and it does PDFs.
    > Trying about 7pm the latency wasn't too bad -
    > about 5 mins from clicking send on the webform to it appearing on the
    > recipients (international) fax machine.

    Hello Theo,
    can you say me if you have some problem in receiving fax in your email?
    I do not receive them at all.
    I need to go in my web account (inbox) and send them by myself.
    I wrote to them, but they say their service is o.k. and suggested to me to look
    at anti spam, but I have no one filter on.
    Excuse my poor english.
    Beppe

    GeoZac, Nov 21, 2006
  12. In uk.telecom GeoZac <> wrote:
    > can you say me if you have some problem in receiving fax in your email? I
    > do not receive them at all. I need to go in my web account (inbox) and
    > send them by myself. I wrote to them, but they say their service is o.k.
    > and suggested to me to look at anti spam, but I have no one filter on.

    I had one fax with the header line (From:, Fax number:, Date:) but just a
    diagonal black line, and another with only the first half of the header line
    (the bottom half of the characters was missing). This was I think my
    sender faxing me blank sheets of paper (he put the paper in upside down),
    but the second one was puzzling - I'd have thought the header line would be
    OK as that's sent by the machine, even if there was nothing to scan.

    For the 3 or 4 tries I've received, they've all been emailed to me fine,
    even if it was a blank page. Mostly I've looked at the PDFs on the website
    rather than the ones attached, but I did get them all by email.

    It's difficult to say what's happening at your end without the mail logs of
    the machines concerned - I did have cause to look at my popfax logs and it
    seemed to be fine. Does your ISP do any spam filtering before you see it?

    Could you change your popfax email address to another account, in case
    there's something wrong with yours? Looking at the raw text of a popfax
    email, there's nothing particularly different about it from normal emails.

    Hope this helps,
    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 21, 2006
  13. Theo Markettos

    GeoZac Guest

    "Theo Markettos" wrote:
    > Could you change your popfax email address to another account, in case
    > there's something wrong with yours?
    > Hope this helps,

    Yes it has helped a lot!
    First I've changed my email address to the personal one I've.
    The faxes began to be forwarded to my new email.
    After that I've changed to my office address again.
    Now the faxes arrive there :)
    I think the PopFax forward system did not got the first email.
    Thak you.
    Have a nice day.
    Beppe

    GeoZac, Nov 23, 2006