Fax software in Xp

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Garland, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. Garland

    Garland Guest

    I've tried installing fax software, but can't as I've installed XP, then
    its been installed to (I think) version 2, (a later version upgrade) on the
    net.

    When I try to install fax, it asks for the disks, I put them in, then it
    asks for disks version 2. (not sure if that's the correct working, but it
    asks for the later version).

    So I'm unable to install fax, without completely re-installing the PC, it
    seems.

    I've tried many times to install this in Add/Remove Windows Programs, but no
    luck.

    Can anyone tell me how to get around this?

    Many thanks

    Garland, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Garland

    Garland Guest

    Its asking for Service pack 2, my disks are Service pack 1.. thus the
    problem.

    Thanks

    Garland, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Garland

    kenny Guest

    you must have an i386 folder somewhere on your disk (this is where the SP2
    updates are located) so when it asks for a disk. browse to that folder and
    it will install the fax.

    That folder normally should be here: c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386

    Tell me if this info helps...

    If you dont have that folder... tell me, there is a way to download the SP2
    again
    and unpack it on your hard drive...

    Kenny www.computerboom.net

    kenny, Jan 13, 2006
  4. Garland

    Garland Guest

    Thanks

    That worked great, at last I have my fax back!

    You'd think.. with all the squillions of dollars Bill has to spend, he could
    design software that's easier to install.

    Thanks

    Garland, Jan 13, 2006
  5. Garland

    AD Guest