    assume it is technically possible and all one has to do is find the correct
    software.

    Mark BR

    Mark BR, Feb 28, 2007

  2. Mark BR

    Jon Farmer Guest

    Mark BR wrote:
    > I know it is old technology but,
    >
    > Is it possible to find software that can send/receive a fax over VoIP - I
    > assume it is technically possible and all one has to do is find the correct
    > software.

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-FoIP

    Regards

    Jon

    Jon Farmer, Feb 28, 2007

  3. Mark BR

    Mark BR Guest

    Jon Farmer wrote:
    > Mark BR wrote:
    >> I know it is old technology but,
    >>
    >> Is it possible to find software that can send/receive a fax over
    >> VoIP - I assume it is technically possible and all one has to do is
    >> find the correct software.

    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-FoIP
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > Jon

    So the answer is no, you can't

    Thanks

    Mark BR

    Mark BR, Feb 28, 2007
  4. Mark BR

    Tim Guest

    Mark BR wrote:
    > So the answer is no, you can't

    Yes you can, but it requires careful doing.

    Tim

    Tim, Feb 28, 2007
  5. Mark BR

    Herman Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Mark BR wrote:
    >> So the answer is no, you can't

    > Yes you can, but it requires careful doing.
    >
    > Tim

    I use voipcheap for sending occasional faxes with a Fritzbox. I have not
    changed any settings to accomodate fax.

    HOWEVER, expect it to take multiple attempts and a lot longer than you would
    expect. I find it OK for faxes every now and again but nothing more. There
    is a previous thread in the group about Vonage's "dedicated" FoIP service,
    but it doesn't sound like it's any different to my setup. I think they call
    this emerging technology, but converting data to analogue audio to IP
    packets and then back again sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

    Herman, Feb 28, 2007
  6. Mark BR

    ts86 Guest

    "Herman" <> wrote in message
    > "Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Mark BR wrote:
    >>> So the answer is no, you can't

    >> Yes you can, but it requires careful doing.
    >>
    >> Tim

    > I use voipcheap for sending occasional faxes with a Fritzbox. I have not
    > changed any settings to accomodate fax.
    >
    > HOWEVER, expect it to take multiple attempts and a lot longer than you
    > would expect. I find it OK for faxes every now and again but nothing
    > more. There is a previous thread in the group about Vonage's "dedicated"
    > FoIP service, but it doesn't sound like it's any different to my setup. I
    > think they call this emerging technology, but converting data to analogue
    > audio to IP packets and then back again sounds like a recipe for disaster
    > to me.

    Someone just needs to write software that emulates a fax modem and then
    simply connects to a SIP provider to make the call and send the fax.

    ts86, Mar 5, 2007
  7. Mark BR

    Paul Hayes Guest

    ts86 wrote:

    > Someone just needs to write software that emulates a fax modem and then
    > simply connects to a SIP provider to make the call and send the fax.

    More like someone needs to write a working t.38 implementation for
    Asterisk. Software that emulates a fax modem and then sends the data
    over an IP connection using SIP will just run into all the same problems
    an ATA with a fax machine plugged into it using g.711 codec currently
    does. The problem is a fax transmission relies on near-perfect timing
    at either end which is fine with analogue phone lines or ISDN. But IP
    (and therefore the Internet) is a best-effort service which was designed
    from the ground up with little or no consideration to synchronised
    timing at both ends of a connection.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Mar 5, 2007