    Any ideas? out the models of faxes available in
    New Zealand.... ( www.superfax.com is the closest
    I've found so far)

    John Boy, Oct 1, 2004

  2. John Boy

    Collector-NZ Guest

    John Boy said the following on 1/10/2004 22:01:
    > I've been searching..but does anyone know of
    > a MFC like machine that can send out received
    > faxes as an email.. or be connected to on the network
    > to view received faxes from a web page.
    >
    > Some Brother MFC machines have PC-Fax but that
    > relies on a PC being on to save the fax images on.
    > I need a PC indepedent solution.
    >

    > Any ideas? out the models of faxes available in
    > New Zealand.... ( www.superfax.com is the closest
    > I've found so far)

    Panasonic Workio fax/printer/scanner but it costs a big bundle.
    Connect lease them out though

    Collector-NZ, Oct 1, 2004

  3. John Boy

    Harry Guest

    John Boy wrote:

    > I've been searching..but does anyone know of
    > a MFC like machine that can send out received
    > faxes as an email.. or be connected to on the network
    > to view received faxes from a web page.
    >
    > Some Brother MFC machines have PC-Fax but that
    > relies on a PC being on to save the fax images on.
    > I need a PC indepedent solution.
    >

    > Any ideas? out the models of faxes available in
    > New Zealand.... ( www.superfax.com is the closest
    > I've found so far)

    It is easy to set up a Linux box to do that.
    Mine uses standard mgetty+sendfax combined with a directly
    connected voice modem. Yes, you need to have Linux box on but that
    is not much worse than having a Brother machine on - especially if
    you need a firewall as well.

    It works in both directions.

    You can send faxes by simply printing a document to the fax printer,
    which is available under samba as a Windows printer (using a standard
    postscript driver). The only requirement being to agree on some
    convention for inserting the destination fax number in the document.
    I use the special phrase "FaxNo: xxxxxx" and the fax printing filter
    extracts the number accordingly.

    You can also implement same by scraping email sent to fax user.

    For receiving faxes, mgetty+sendfax calls the standard script "new_fax"
    and all that needs to be done is mime-encode the g3 image into an email.
    I use g32pbm, pnmtotiff, and metasend in a short script.

    Not only can it do all of the above, but on incoming phone calls you can
    easily set up special tone sequences to do all sort of interesting things.
    As well as standard voicemail facility, you can also use it to dial out
    to a list of phone numbers and play a standard voice/response script.

    Harry, Oct 1, 2004
  4. John Boy

    steve Guest

    John Boy wrote:

    > I've been searching..but does anyone know of
    > a MFC like machine that can send out received
    > faxes as an email.. or be connected to on the network
    > to view received faxes from a web page.
    >
    > Some Brother MFC machines have PC-Fax but that
    > relies on a PC being on to save the fax images on.
    > I need a PC indepedent solution.
    >
    > Any ideas? out the models of faxes available in
    > New Zealand.... ( www.superfax.com is the closest
    > I've found so far)

    Doesn't Winfax Pro v10 do that?

    --
    Distributed Computing Projects:
    SETI at Home

    steve, Oct 1, 2004
  5. In article <MV97d.8715$> in nz.comp on Fri, 1
    Oct 2004 22:01:19 +1200, John Boy <>
    says...
    > I've been searching..but does anyone know of
    > a MFC like machine that can send out received
    > faxes as an email.. or be connected to on the network
    > to view received faxes from a web page.

    The closest thing I ever saw was a Panasonic fax that could send a fax
    message as an email, and that is no longer available in NZ.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004
  6. John Boy

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Patrick Dunford said the following on 1/10/2004 23:31:
    > In article <MV97d.8715$> in nz.comp on Fri, 1
    > Oct 2004 22:01:19 +1200, John Boy <>
    > says...
    >
    >>I've been searching..but does anyone know of
    >>a MFC like machine that can send out received
    >>faxes as an email.. or be connected to on the network
    >>to view received faxes from a web page.

    > The closest thing I ever saw was a Panasonic fax that could send a fax
    > message as an email, and that is no longer available in NZ.

    Yept still is Panasonic Workio Call Contact in Auckland

    Collector-NZ, Oct 1, 2004
  7. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 01 Oct 2004
    23:42:11 +1200, Collector-NZ <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford said the following on 1/10/2004 23:31:
    > > In article <MV97d.8715$> in nz.comp on Fri, 1
    > > Oct 2004 22:01:19 +1200, John Boy <>
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>I've been searching..but does anyone know of
    > >>a MFC like machine that can send out received
    > >>faxes as an email.. or be connected to on the network
    > >>to view received faxes from a web page.

    > > The closest thing I ever saw was a Panasonic fax that could send a fax
    > > message as an email, and that is no longer available in NZ.
    > >

    > Yept still is Panasonic Workio Call Contact in Auckland

    OK, DSE phased it out of their product line come to think of it. An
    interesting idea for your computer illiterate rellies who want to
    communicate the modern way. Turns a fax into an email attachment and
    sends it the usual way, incoming messages are printed out for you.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004
  8. John Boy

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Patrick Dunford said the following on 2/10/2004 00:54:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 01 Oct 2004
    > 23:42:11 +1200, Collector-NZ <> says...
    >
    >>Patrick Dunford said the following on 1/10/2004 23:31:
    >>
    >>>In article <MV97d.8715$> in nz.comp on Fri, 1
    >>>Oct 2004 22:01:19 +1200, John Boy <>
    >>>says...

    >>>The closest thing I ever saw was a Panasonic fax that could send a fax
    >>>message as an email, and that is no longer available in NZ.
    >>>

    >>Yept still is Panasonic Workio Call Contact in Auckland

    > OK, DSE phased it out of their product line come to think of it. An
    > interesting idea for your computer illiterate rellies who want to
    > communicate the modern way. Turns a fax into an email attachment and
    > sends it the usual way, incoming messages are printed out for you.

    or emailed to the designated email address, lots of other smarts in it
    as well depending on the options youchoose.

    I doubt DSE would ever have had the workio printers they are a fully
    networkable printer fax scanner OCR etc in excesse of $10k

    http://www.connectnz.co.nz/products_copiers.html

    Collector-NZ, Oct 1, 2004
  9. John Boy

    John Boy Guest

    > Any ideas? out of the models of faxes available in
    > New Zealand.... ( www.superfax.com is the closest
    > I've found so far)

    I guess with the cheaper fax machines.. they sell them
    to sell ink. If they provided the email option they
    would sell less ink.

    for example the Brother MFC3480 has a web interface
    for browsing scanned images on memory cards..and other
    printers can email error reports.. so all the smarts should
    be there to view received faxes.. but they just don't
    offer it.

    Thanks for the comments.

    Many be I will have to resort to a PC fax server..but
    was trying to avoid having yet another PC on the network.
    Also because the device is left on all the time... a fax machine
    would consume less power and make less noise.

    John Boy, Oct 1, 2004
  10. In article <> in nz.comp on Sat, 02 Oct 2004
    01:23:21 +1200, Collector-NZ <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford said the following on 2/10/2004 00:54:
    > > In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 01 Oct 2004
    > > 23:42:11 +1200, Collector-NZ <> says...

    > >>Yept still is Panasonic Workio Call Contact in Auckland

    > > OK, DSE phased it out of their product line come to think of it. An
    > > interesting idea for your computer illiterate rellies who want to
    > > communicate the modern way. Turns a fax into an email attachment and
    > > sends it the usual way, incoming messages are printed out for you.
    > >

    > or emailed to the designated email address, lots of other smarts in it
    > as well depending on the options youchoose.
    >
    > I doubt DSE would ever have had the workio printers they are a fully
    > networkable printer fax scanner OCR etc in excesse of $10k

    No what I was referring to was a $495 fax machine made by Panasonic for
    home/small business use, that has built in email functionality. It can
    turn a fax into an email and send it, and print out received emails.

    DSE phased this model out of their retail range last year, but it is
    probably still available from other Panasonic retailers.

    Obviously for the computer illeterate to be able to handwrite a message
    and email it to someone a long distance away and ditto to be able to
    receive emails the simplicity of such a solution has an obvious appeal
    and I seriously looked at it for some relatives, however they got an iMac
    instead.

    Patrick Dunford, Oct 1, 2004
  11. John Boy

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Patrick Dunford said the following on 2/10/2004 09:41:
    > In article <> in nz.comp on Sat, 02 Oct 2004
    > 01:23:21 +1200, Collector-NZ <> says...
    >
    >>Patrick Dunford said the following on 2/10/2004 00:54:
    >>
    >>>In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 01 Oct 2004
    >>>23:42:11 +1200, Collector-NZ <> says...

    >>>OK, DSE phased it out of their product line come to think of it. An
    >>>interesting idea for your computer illiterate rellies who want to
    >>>communicate the modern way. Turns a fax into an email attachment and
    >>>sends it the usual way, incoming messages are printed out for you.
    >>>

    >>or emailed to the designated email address, lots of other smarts in it
    >>as well depending on the options youchoose.
    >>
    >>I doubt DSE would ever have had the workio printers they are a fully
    >>networkable printer fax scanner OCR etc in excesse of $10k

    > No what I was referring to was a $495 fax machine made by Panasonic for
    > home/small business use, that has built in email functionality. It can
    > turn a fax into an email and send it, and print out received emails.
    >
    > DSE phased this model out of their retail range last year, but it is
    > probably still available from other Panasonic retailers.
    >
    > Obviously for the computer illeterate to be able to handwrite a message
    > and email it to someone a long distance away and ditto to be able to
    > receive emails the simplicity of such a solution has an obvious appeal
    > and I seriously looked at it for some relatives, however they got an iMac
    > instead.

    I did developement for a project called Emailpostbox, which was exactly
    that handwritten and emailed, the user only needed to type the email
    address, the project even attracted venture funding from NZPost, at
    which point we even trialed handwritten > email > print > post delevery
    as far off as london, unfortunately like a lot of good ideas it died.

    Collector-NZ, Oct 1, 2004
  12. John Boy

    Collector-NZ Guest

    John Boy said the following on 2/10/2004 07:04:
    >>Any ideas? out of the models of faxes available in
    >>New Zealand.... ( www.superfax.com is the closest
    >>I've found so far)
    >>

    > I guess with the cheaper fax machines.. they sell them
    > to sell ink. If they provided the email option they
    > would sell less ink.
    >
    > for example the Brother MFC3480 has a web interface
    > for browsing scanned images on memory cards..and other
    > printers can email error reports.. so all the smarts should
    > be there to view received faxes.. but they just don't
    > offer it.
    >
    > Thanks for the comments.
    >
    > Many be I will have to resort to a PC fax server..but
    > was trying to avoid having yet another PC on the network.
    > Also because the device is left on all the time... a fax machine
    > would consume less power and make less noise.

    Check out the workio in my post to Pattrick Ideal on the network, user
    desktop send and recieve fax, document ocr/scanning and lease is not too
    bad as it goes cost wise.

    Collector-NZ, Oct 1, 2004
  13. John Boy

    richard Guest

    John Boy wrote:

    > Many be I will have to resort to a PC fax server..but
    > was trying to avoid having yet another PC on the network.
    > Also because the device is left on all the time... a fax machine
    > would consume less power and make less noise.

    Get a via eden board then. Hardly any power consumption, and no fan

    richard, Oct 2, 2004
  14. John Boy

    John Boy Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > John Boy wrote:
    >
    > > Many be I will have to resort to a PC fax server..but
    > > was trying to avoid having yet another PC on the network.
    > > Also because the device is left on all the time... a fax machine
    > > would consume less power and make less noise.

    > Get a via eden board then. Hardly any power consumption, and no fan

    Great.. Thanks Richard.. I will get one.. can also use it as
    a shared network movie and data storage device.. perfect!

    John Boy, Oct 2, 2004
  15. John Boy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "John Boy" <> wrote in news:MV97d.8715
    $:

    > I've been searching..but does anyone know of
    > a MFC like machine that can send out received
    > faxes as an email.. or be connected to on the network
    > to view received faxes from a web page.

    Ubix has some products but might be overkill for your needs. If you are
    looking for an all in one solution, give them a call.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Oct 2, 2004