    visitors are able to use their laptop modems to dial out. Why?

    Does enabling "Fax and Modem Support" degrade (somewhat) my internet
    service?
    Rick Merrill, Aug 19, 2005

  2. "Rick Merrill" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I am "not subscribed" to the ATT CallVantage modem support, yet
    > visitors are able to use their laptop modems to dial out. Why?
    >
    > Does enabling "Fax and Modem Support" degrade (somewhat) my internet
    > service?

    Maybe because the voice codec you're using is G.711, or even G.726 32kpbs,
    which are adequate for transfer of fax and modem traffic. Or, it's possible
    that your VoIP provider "upspeeds" fax and modem traffic (essentially
    allocating more bandwidth to these applications when their use is detected).

    Simply *enabling* "Fax and Modem Support" should not degrade anything. of
    course, actually *using* the service will, because it will rob bandwidth
    from your voice app.

    James
    James Calivar, Aug 22, 2005