    Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.

    Thanks

    Maurice

    Maurice, Sep 17, 2006

  2. Maurice wrote:

    > There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand
    > side of the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of
    > those sites but having recently had to back up my partition I seem to
    > have lost that and they all have a IE logo showing (except for
    > Yahoo). It certainly makes reading the list much easier.

    They are called 'favicons.'

    > I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find
    > it. Can anyone help?

    Don't ever clear your browser's cache and they might stay for awhile.
    Once you purge the cache (which you should do periodically to keep IE
    from stuffing itself up), they go away.

    Cache is Temporary Internet Files, if you weren't aware.

    > Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally
    > ignored.

    <lol> Seriously, if you were to upgrade to a modern browser, they would
    even be displayed in the location bar. And, would hang around longer
    with your bookmarks.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Maurice

    richard Guest

    "Maurice" <> wrote in message
    > There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand side
    > of the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of those
    > sites but having recently had to back up my partition I seem to have lost
    > that and they all have a IE logo showing (except for Yahoo). It certainly
    > makes reading the list much easier.
    >
    > I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find it. Can
    > anyone help?
    >
    > Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Maurice

    Simple. Visit those sites and you'll get the icons back.

    richard, Sep 17, 2006
  4. Maurice

    Guest

    "Maurice" <> wrote:

    >There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand side of
    >the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of those sites but
    >having recently had to back up my partition I seem to have lost that and
    >they all have a IE logo showing (except for Yahoo). It certainly makes
    >reading the list much easier.
    >
    >I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find it. Can
    >anyone help?
    >
    >Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.

    If you really like these Favicons, as mention'd use another browser.

    I use Opera and they are store'd in Program Files\Opera\profile\images
    so their not deleted when the temp files are deleted.

    Else your just going to have to wait until they repopulate themselves.
    (I guess, I don't use IE).

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    , Sep 17, 2006
  5. Maurice

    DanR Guest

    Maurice wrote:
    > There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand
    > side of the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of
    > those sites but having recently had to back up my partition I seem to
    > have lost that and they all have a IE logo showing (except for
    > Yahoo). It certainly makes reading the list much easier.
    >
    > I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find
    > it. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Maurice

    IE7 seems to do a better job of keeping favicons.

    DanR, Sep 17, 2006
  6. Maurice

    Bob B Guest

    "Maurice" <> wrote in message
    > There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand side
    > of the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of those
    > sites but having recently had to back up my partition I seem to have lost
    > that and they all have a IE logo showing (except for Yahoo). It certainly
    > makes reading the list much easier.
    >
    > I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find it. Can
    > anyone help?
    >
    > Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Maurice

    Here is a copy of a reply to the same question.. I think the lower link is a
    free download

    Bob

    >> When I add a site to my favorites, sometimes the site provides its own
    >> icon which is great. Later, when I pull down the menu, the icon has
    >> defaulted to the generic IE. How can I stop this from happening?

    > This programe (favorg) is something I downloaded years ago and retains all
    > icons in there original format. I just had a quick look and they now want
    > paying for it..you might find it using google for free. The other method
    > was to go to your temp folder and save the original temp icon to another
    > folder.
    > Bob
    >
    > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1558477,00.asp (favorg)

    this might be better
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Bookmark-Managers/favorg.shtml

    Bob B, Sep 17, 2006
  7. richard wrote:

    > "Maurice" <> wrote in message
    >> There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, ...

    > Simple. Visit those sites and you'll get the icons back.

    Only if you re-bookmark them.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 17, 2006
  8. Maurice

    Maurice Guest

    Thanks guys. That last line was the critical one.

    Maurice

    Maurice, Sep 17, 2006
  9. Maurice

    Bob B Guest

    What was the "last line"

    Bob B, Sep 17, 2006
  10. Bob B wrote:

    > What was the "last line"

    >>> -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck.

    I guess that's what he meant... <lol>

    How come you Outlook Express guys don't snip signatures?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 17, 2006
  11. Maurice

    Uncle Grumpy Guest

    wrote:

    > If you really like these Favicons, as mention'd [sic] use another browser.
    >
    > I use Opera and they are store'd [sic] in Program Files\Opera\profile\images
    > so their [sic] not deleted when the temp files are deleted.
    >
    > Else [sic] your [sic] just going to have to wait until they repopulate themselves.
    > (I guess, I don't use IE).

    You're a moron.

    Uncle Grumpy, Sep 17, 2006
  12. Maurice

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:03:15 +0100, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote
    (in article <7ShPg.167297$>):

    > Bob B wrote:
    >
    >> What was the "last line"

    > I guess that's what he meant... <lol>
    >
    > How come you Outlook Express guys don't snip signatures?

    Oh come on, BTS, even you should know the answer to that - it's because
    Outhouse Excrement is, well, shite and lacks the sig-snipping properties of
    most - if not all - proper newsreaders. Yes, I used to use OE, but I had
    QuoteFix, which restored that essential function.

    Most OE users are too clueless to do anything themselves...

    Margolotta, Sep 17, 2006
  13. Margolotta wrote:

    > Oh come on, BTS, even you should know the answer to that

    Yes, I do, of course. Was just subtly making a point. Which you
    expounded upon, not quite so subtly. <g>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 18, 2006
  14. Maurice

    Guest

    "Uncle Grumpy" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> If you really like these Favicons, as mention'd [sic] use another browser.
    >>
    >> I use Opera and they are store'd [sic] in Program Files\Opera\profile\images
    >> so their [sic] not deleted when the temp files are deleted.
    >>
    >> Else [sic] your [sic] just going to have to wait until they repopulate themselves.
    >> (I guess, I don't use IE).

    >You're a moron.

    (Stalker from microsoft.public.windowsxp.general) my first :)

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    , Sep 18, 2006
  15. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Margolotta wrote:
    >
    >> Oh come on, BTS, even you should know the answer to that

    > Yes, I do, of course. Was just subtly making a point. Which you
    > expounded upon, not quite so subtly. <g>

    Subtlety doesn't work with OEheads.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 18, 2006
  16. Maurice

    Box134 Guest

    On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 16:01:40 GMT, Maurice wrote:

    > There was a time when all my 'favorites' listed, down the left hand side of
    > the IE6 window (WinXP) would display tiny thumbnail icons of those sites but
    > having recently had to back up my partition I seem to have lost that and
    > they all have a IE logo showing (except for Yahoo). It certainly makes
    > reading the list much easier.
    >
    > I guess there must be a setting control somewhere but I cant' find it. Can
    > anyone help?
    >
    > Serious question. Snide, ever-so-clever yobby remarks totally ignored.

    AM-Deadlink is a freeware program that checks your links and downloads all
    your favicons. Does a great job. You can find it by Googling.

    Box134, Sep 28, 2006