    Firefox puts little icons next to web addresses which represents that web
    page.

    Can this be done with I.E. to get rid of the boring e icon?

    TWIST, Sep 10, 2005

  2. TWIST

    Toolman Tim Guest

    TWIST wrote:
    > Firefox puts little icons next to web addresses which represents that
    > web page.
    >
    > Can this be done with I.E. to get rid of the boring e icon?

    Right click on the link, select Properties, click Change Icon.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 10, 2005

  3. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > TWIST wrote:
    >> Firefox puts little icons next to web addresses which represents that
    >> web page.
    >>
    >> Can this be done with I.E. to get rid of the boring e icon?

    > Right click on the link, select Properties, click Change Icon.

    You have to *tell IE to use favicons*, one by one, manually?!

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2005
  4. TWIST

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> TWIST wrote:
    >>> Firefox puts little icons next to web addresses which represents
    >>> that web page.
    >>>
    >>> Can this be done with I.E. to get rid of the boring e icon?

    >> Right click on the link, select Properties, click Change Icon.

    > You have to *tell IE to use favicons*, one by one, manually?!

    Not if the web page provided them when the link is made. But many web pages
    don't have an associated icon, and IE uses the default blue "e" design.
    Those can be changed manually to use any icon in the computer or downloaded.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:

    >>> Right click on the link, select Properties, click Change Icon.

    >> You have to *tell IE to use favicons*, one by one, manually?!

    > Not if the web page provided them when the link is made. But many web pages
    > don't have an associated icon, and IE uses the default blue "e" design.
    > Those can be changed manually to use any icon in the computer or downloaded.

    OP's talking about site-provided favicons (or he wouldn't be saying
    that FF shows them). Thus, I thought you were, too.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 10, 2005
  6. TWIST wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Firefox puts little icons next to web addresses which represents
    > that web page.
    >
    > Can this be done with I.E. to get rid of the boring e icon?

    From favicons.com:

    I used to see favicons, but now they've all disappeared. What happened?

    Favicons are cached similarly to html documents. When they are deleted
    from the cache, they revert to the standard IE icon. If you want to
    prevent the icon from disappearing:

    1. Create a local directory (e.g., c:\favicons)
    2. Copy the desired favicon into the directory created above.
    3. Right click the mouse over the favorite/bookmark and select
    properties.
    4. Enter the path (or use the 'browse' feature) to the favicon you
    want for that bookmark.

    Another temporary solution is to hold down the mouse button while
    holding shift over the default IE icon in the address bar and then let
    go of the mouse button anywhere in the address bar. This seems to
    'update' the favicon.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    May 16 besotted programmers worship teapots on your front lawn.

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 10, 2005
  7. TWIST

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> You have to *tell IE to use favicons*, one by one, manually?!

    >> Not if the web page provided them when the link is made. But many
    >> web pages don't have an associated icon, and IE uses the default
    >> blue "e" design. Those can be changed manually to use any icon in
    >> the computer or downloaded.

    > OP's talking about site-provided favicons (or he wouldn't be saying
    > that FF shows them). Thus, I thought you were, too.

    Yeah - IE does some of those automatically. But it's still possible to
    customize icons in the favorites. Kinda of a fun thing to do for
    personalizing a PC.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 10, 2005