    L?

    your assistance is greatly appreciated. thanks!

    nick

    Nick Amoroso, Jun 11, 2008

  2. Nick Amoroso

    Nick Amoroso Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Nick Amoroso wrote:
    >> hey all,
    >>
    >> i just picked up a canon 5d, and would like recommendations on a
    >> wide angle lens. i've had a canon 10-22 for a couple of years and
    >> really love it, but it obviously won't work with this camera. any
    >> thoughts on the canon 16-35 L?
    >>
    >> your assistance is greatly appreciated. thanks!
    >>
    >> nick

    > I chose the 17-40. I have no explicit memory of the process that decided
    > why it was better for me than the 16-35, but it works very, very well and
    > therefore I don't much care about the differences that made the
    > difference.
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess

    thanks for the recommendation. what are the fundamental differences between
    the 17-40 and the 17-105 L that i'm currently using? the 17-105 sure
    doesn't look like a wide angle lens to me when i'm looking through the
    viewfinder.

    --
    ..:nick amoroso:.
    http://www.nickamoroso.com

    Nick Amoroso, Jun 11, 2008

  3. Nick Amoroso

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:30:16 -0700, Nick Amoroso wrote:

    > thanks for the recommendation. what are the fundamental differences
    > between the 17-40 and the 17-105 L that i'm currently using? the 17-105
    > sure doesn't look like a wide angle lens to me when i'm looking through
    > the viewfinder.

    Might that be because it's a 24-105mm lens, not 17-105mm? :)

    Here are a couple of B&H's Canon WA lens URLs, providing features
    and specifications, which may be useful.

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279582-USA/Canon_8806A002_17_40mm_f_4L_USM_Lens.html

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486708-USA/Canon_1910B002_EF_16_35mm_f_2_8L_II.html

    Some owners of Canon's FF cameras have grumbled about the
    less-than-stellar corner performance of Canon's WA lenses, so it may
    be wise to steer clear of their more expensive (> $1,000) lenses.
    This was indirectly alluded to by Michael Reichmann (a longtime
    Canon user) in a recent evaluation of his new Nikon system :

    http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/nikon-d3-d300.shtml

    ASAAR, Jun 12, 2008
  4. Nick Amoroso

    measekite Guest

    Nick Amoroso wrote:
    > hey all,
    >
    > i just picked up a canon 5d, and would like recommendations on a wide
    > angle lens. i've had a canon 10-22 for a couple of years and really
    > love it, but it obviously won't work with this camera. any thoughts
    > on the canon 16-35 L?
    >
    > your assistance is greatly appreciated. thanks!
    >
    > nick

    see the reviews on kenrockwell.com

    measekite, Jun 12, 2008
  5. Nick Amoroso

    Nick Amoroso Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:30:16 -0700, Nick Amoroso wrote:
    >
    >> thanks for the recommendation. what are the fundamental differences
    >> between the 17-40 and the 17-105 L that i'm currently using? the 17-105
    >> sure doesn't look like a wide angle lens to me when i'm looking through
    >> the viewfinder.

    > Might that be because it's a 24-105mm lens, not 17-105mm? :)

    doh! i must have had "17" on the brain at the time. :)

    > Here are a couple of B&H's Canon WA lens URLs, providing features
    > and specifications, which may be useful.
    >

    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279582-USA/Canon_8806A002_17_40mm_f_4L_USM_Lens.html
    >
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486708-USA/Canon_1910B002_EF_16_35mm_f_2_8L_II.html

    thanks!

    nick

    Nick Amoroso, Jun 12, 2008
  6. Nick Amoroso

    John Guest

    George Kerby wrote:

    > On 6/11/08 6:53 PM, in article
    > , "Rita Berkowitz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nick Amoroso wrote:
    >>
    >>> i just picked up a canon 5d, and would like recommendations on a wide
    >>> angle lens. i've had a canon 10-22 for a couple of years and really
    >>> love it, but it obviously won't work with this camera. any thoughts
    >>> on the canon 16-35 L?

    >> Try the 58mm f/1.2 noct Nikkor to really bring the 5D to life!
    >>

    >> Rita

    > Yep. 58mm is sone of the best wide angle glass out there. 'Spot on' again.

    How can you call a 58mm lens on a 5D, wide angle!

    John.

    John, Jun 12, 2008
  7. Nick Amoroso

    John Guest

    Frank ess wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >> George Kerby wrote:
    >>>

    >>> On 6/11/08 6:53 PM, in article
    >>> , "Rita Berkowitz"

    >>> Yep. 58mm is sone of the best wide angle glass out there. 'Spot
    >>> on' again.

    >> How can you call a 58mm lens on a 5D, wide angle!
    >>
    >> John.

    > George " 'Subtle' Sarcasm" Kerby strikes again!
    >
    > How can you end a kwestion with an exclamation point? ( ! )

    It wasn't a question, it was a statement.

    John.

    John, Jun 12, 2008
  8. Nick Amoroso

    dj_nme Guest

    Allen wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >>

    >> Allen wrote:

    >>> Look more closely and you will see that it was "Rita" who suggested
    >>> the 58mm--and a Nikon lens for a Canon camera to boot.
    >>> Allen

    >> YOU lookmoreclosely, Slick.
    >>

    > You mean this part?
    >
    > >Try the 58mm f/1.2 noct Nikkor to really bring the 5D to life!

    > >Rita

    Rita's post <ID: > didn't
    actually mention the 58mm f/1.2 noct Nikkor as being a wide-angle lens,
    only that it's good for using with a Canon 5D.
    It was George Kerby who wrote: "Yep. 58mm is sone of the best wide angle
    glass out there. 'Spot on' again."
    That makes George either plain wrong or attempting to be sarcastic
    without the aide of an emoticon such as ;) to make it obvious for the
    slow of wit.

    dj_nme, Jun 13, 2008
  9. Nick Amoroso

    dj_nme Guest

    Re: (even more OT) Re: favorite wide angle lens for canon 5d?

    Frank ess wrote:
    <snip>
    > Now I have violated one of my governing principles and 'splained.
    > Couldn't resist.
    >
    > "reSIST the URGE to exPLAIN"
    > -Screenwriter and Oscar nominee in an AOL chatroom
    >
    > Toodles.

    You simply forgot that "Resistance is futile".

    Just don't tell Georg Simon Ohm.

    dj_nme, Jun 13, 2008
  10. Nick Amoroso

    Nick Amoroso Guest

    "measekite" <> wrote in message

    > Nick Amoroso wrote:
    >> hey all,
    >>
    >> i just picked up a canon 5d, and would like recommendations on a wide
    >> angle lens. i've had a canon 10-22 for a couple of years and really love
    >> it, but it obviously won't work with this camera. any thoughts on the
    >> canon 16-35 L?
    >>
    >> your assistance is greatly appreciated. thanks!
    >>
    >> nick

    > see the reviews on kenrockwell.com

    great website. thank you. i went ahead and picked up the 17-40 L. thanks
    for the help.

    Nick Amoroso, Jun 14, 2008
  11. Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    > TRoss wrote:
    >
    >>> Nonsense! Compared to my 500/4 the 58/1.2 is "ultra-wide" on the
    >>> D3.

    >> Yeah, and compared to Forrest Gump you're a genius. You can't turn a
    >> normal lens into wide angle lens simply by comparing a telephoto.
    >> Just as you can't turn you into a genius by comparing you to someone
    >> with less mental capacity.

    > It's all perspective! What's your excuse?
    >

    > Rita

    .... and the lens choice has precisely zero effect on perspective.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 16, 2008
  12. Nick Amoroso

    Nick Amoroso Guest

    "dwight" <> wrote in message
    > "Nick Amoroso" <> wrote in message
    >> "measekite" <> wrote in message

    >>> see the reviews on kenrockwell.com

    >> great website. thank you. i went ahead and picked up the 17-40 L.
    >> thanks for the help.
    >>
    >> --
    >> .:nick amoroso:.
    >> http://www.nickamoroso.com
    >> http://www.myspace.com.nickamorosodrums

    > After you've had a chance to play with it for a time, don't forget to tell
    > us what you think of your decision.
    >
    > dwight

    it arrived today. first impression - i love it. no buyer's remorse
    whatsoever.

    that is, until i consider that i could have just stayed with my 50mm 1.4 as
    a "wide-angle" lens. ;-)

    nick

    Nick Amoroso, Jun 17, 2008