Favorite monitoring tools?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rob, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Does anyone have a recommendation on a good monitoring tool that
    incorporates all this?:

    1) SNMP
    2) Cisco Netflow
    3) Services & application monitoring (like for Windows servers)

    I'd prefer something that runs on Windows, and cost is not so much of
    a concern. I'm (well, our company) is not interested in free or Linux
    utilities. No flames on that please.

    We currently use Solarwinds Orion which does #1 very well, and can
    also do #3 with an additional module. It's our ideal tool, but it
    can't view more granular than SNMP. Cisco Netflow is really nice, but
    I'm using freeware tools at the moment which don't massage or
    correlate the data as nicely as Enterprise solutions. I would be
    great to have something that can give up/down data, services
    monitoring, bandwidth usage, and be able to drill down further and get
    Netflow info on the protocols being used by my Cisco routers.

    The AdventNet OpManager + NetFlow Analyzer looks like it might fit the
    bill, but I've never heard of it other than looking at their web page.

    Any others that include all the features I want?

    -Bob

    Rob, Dec 8, 2005

  2. Rob

    Dave Guest

    I use OpManager, it's pretty good and full of excellent fetaures

    Dave, Dec 8, 2005

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Did you look at any other monitoring apps or rule anything else out?

    Rob, Dec 8, 2005
  4. Rob

    MC Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Does anyone have a recommendation on a good monitoring tool that
    > incorporates all this?:
    >
    > 1) SNMP
    > 2) Cisco Netflow
    > 3) Services & application monitoring (like for Windows servers)
    >
    > I'd prefer something that runs on Windows, and cost is not so much of
    > a concern. I'm (well, our company) is not interested in free or Linux
    > utilities. No flames on that please.
    >
    > We currently use Solarwinds Orion which does #1 very well, and can
    > also do #3 with an additional module. It's our ideal tool, but it
    > can't view more granular than SNMP. Cisco Netflow is really nice, but
    > I'm using freeware tools at the moment which don't massage or
    > correlate the data as nicely as Enterprise solutions. I would be
    > great to have something that can give up/down data, services
    > monitoring, bandwidth usage, and be able to drill down further and get
    > Netflow info on the protocols being used by my Cisco routers.
    >
    > The AdventNet OpManager + NetFlow Analyzer looks like it might fit the
    > bill, but I've never heard of it other than looking at their web page.
    >
    > Any others that include all the features I want?
    >
    > -Bob

    If willing to pay for something for an enterprise solution that can also
    pull netflow data, Then check out netscout. great product and can do
    many things.

    Of course, I perfer using Nagoius on Linux and is free, just what you do
    not want.

    I can understand not having to support Linux or have to install
    opensource which sometimes can be tricky if not familiar but works great
    if know what you are doing.

    MC, Dec 8, 2005
  5. Rob

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > Does anyone have a recommendation on a good monitoring tool that
    > incorporates all this?:
    >
    > 1) SNMP
    > 2) Cisco Netflow
    > 3) Services & application monitoring (like for Windows servers)
    >
    > I'd prefer something that runs on Windows, and cost is not so much of
    > a concern. I'm (well, our company) is not interested in free or Linux
    > utilities. No flames on that please.
    >
    > We currently use Solarwinds Orion which does #1 very well, and can
    > also do #3 with an additional module. It's our ideal tool, but it
    > can't view more granular than SNMP. Cisco Netflow is really nice, but
    > I'm using freeware tools at the moment which don't massage or
    > correlate the data as nicely as Enterprise solutions. I would be
    > great to have something that can give up/down data, services
    > monitoring, bandwidth usage, and be able to drill down further and get
    > Netflow info on the protocols being used by my Cisco routers.
    >
    > The AdventNet OpManager + NetFlow Analyzer looks like it might fit the
    > bill, but I've never heard of it other than looking at their web page.
    >
    > Any others that include all the features I want?

    For netflow (among other things), take a look at Crannog
    http://www.crannog-software.com/

    --

    hsb

    Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not be able to

    Hansang Bae, Dec 9, 2005
  6. Rob

    Wil Guest

    I have a SolarWinds Orion box as well, does Cisco specific (SNMP) stuff
    fairly well. Good for quickly finding interface errors. Sux at alerting
    though. Doesn't realert, escalate or support awknowlegments.

    We replaced it with Nagios, kicks butt but I'm not sure if you can get
    it on a Windows box. I still keep the Orion box active for the interface
    statistics though, but I don't let it alert.

    Wil
    my 3¢

    Wil, Dec 9, 2005
  7. Rob

    Bob Guest

    Looks interesting. Does it do more than Solarwinds, other than better
    alerting? Netflow support?

    Bob, Dec 10, 2005