favicons?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sammy, Dec 23, 2006.

  1. sammy

    sammy Guest

    hi,

    i'm running ie7 along with the windows xp home version.

    how do i get the dektop icons to permanently stay as favicons?

    the favicons show up and disappear seemingly without reason and are replaced
    by the genric ie icons. they switch back and forth. i know there's a reason
    for this, but i'll be damned if i can figure it out. i'll probably be damned
    anyway, come to think about it.

    anyway, i did a file search for "favicons" and there are a ton of them in
    the memory.

    is there a program or some way i can just convert the "generics" to favicon
    and have them stay on the desktop?

    thanks,

    mike

    sammy, Dec 23, 2006

  2. sammy

    Plato Guest

    sammy wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > i'm running ie7 along with the windows xp home version.
    >
    > how do i get the dektop icons to permanently stay as favicons?
    >
    > the favicons show up and disappear seemingly without reason and are replaced
    > by the genric ie icons. they switch back and forth. i know there's a reason
    > for this, but i'll be damned if i can figure it out. i'll probably be damned
    > anyway, come to think about it.
    >
    > anyway, i did a file search for "favicons" and there are a ton of them in
    > the memory.
    >
    > is there a program or some way i can just convert the "generics" to favicon
    > and have them stay on the desktop?

    Hi
    How
    The
    Anyway
    Is

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 23, 2006

  3. sammy

    sammy Guest

    plato, i use a straw held in my mouth to "tap" keys. i could use two
    diferent length straws i suppose. one to hold down the caps shift key and
    one to tap the letter i want. i tried to learn how to do it but figured it
    just wasn't worth the effort.

    the altenative is to use all caps. not good. BUT IN YOUR CASE I COULD MAKE
    AN ACCEPTION. i do have a special set-up for punctuation and i use it very
    well. did you notice that?

    sammy, Dec 23, 2006
  4. sammy wrote:
    > plato, i use a straw held in my mouth to "tap" keys. i could use two
    > diferent length straws i suppose. one to hold down the caps shift key
    > and one to tap the letter i want. i tried to learn how to do it but
    > figured it just wasn't worth the effort.

    I apologize for my own joking on this thread, even though it wasn't mean
    spirited.

    If you're not aware of it (and if I recall correctly), Windows has an
    accessability feature called (again, if I remember correctly and if I'm
    not thinking of the name of an equivalent Linux/KDE feature) soemthing
    like "sticky keys". With this feature enabled, I think when you press
    the shift key it stays "on" until you press a character key. Thus, to
    enter "I", you'd tap Shift-I. That saves you a stroke as compared to
    having to use CapsLock and then manually turn it off after the
    charactre. If you're interested in such an aid.

    > the altenative is to use all caps. not good. BUT IN YOUR CASE I COULD
    > MAKE AN ACCEPTION. i do have a special set-up for punctuation and i
    > use it very well. did you notice that?

    Perhaps you already know about what I was suggesting. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 23, 2006
  5. sammy

    sammy Guest

    no sweat. kevlar got nothing on me. hey, for a long time i didn't use
    punctuation. that really drove people nuts and made my writing unintelligble
    at times. but i figure i can be understood without the caps.

    sammy, Dec 23, 2006
  6. sammy

    sammy Guest

    somehow this thread got off track. by the way, i ditched ie7 and put ie6
    back.

    i want favicons. how can i get them?

    sammy, Dec 23, 2006
  7. "sammy" <> wrote in

    > hi,
    >
    > i'm running ie7 along with the windows xp home version.
    >
    > how do i get the dektop icons to permanently stay as favicons?
    >
    > the favicons show up and disappear seemingly without reason and are
    > replaced by the genric ie icons. they switch back and forth. i know
    > there's a reason for this, but i'll be damned if i can figure it out.
    > i'll probably be damned anyway, come to think about it.
    >
    > anyway, i did a file search for "favicons" and there are a ton of them
    > in the memory.
    >
    > is there a program or some way i can just convert the "generics" to
    > favicon and have them stay on the desktop?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > mike

    Rnu a GogoleGroopes sreach fer dis asme oticp, bceawse it awa psotde in
    heer bfeore - nto oot olng gao. A godo nsaerw swa gvien.

    He was a cowboy and he loved the land! He loved it
    so much that he made a woman out of dirt and then
    married her. But when he kissed her, she disintegrated.

    Later, at the funeral, the preacher said "Dust to dust,"
    and some people laughed. So the cowboy shot them all.

    At his hanging, for "murder", he told the survivors, "I'll
    be waiting for *you* up in Heaven -- with my trusty angel guns!"

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 23, 2006
  8. "sammy" <> wrote in

    > somehow this thread got off track. by the way, i ditched ie7 and put ie6
    > back.
    >
    > i want favicons. how can i get them?

    Try a GoogleGroups search for this same topic. "how do i get the desktop
    icons to permanently stay as favicons". Lengthy explanation with too much
    punctuation for this early in the morning. Posted and answered not too
    long ago.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 23, 2006
  9. sammy wrote:

    > i'm running ie7 along with the windows xp home version.
    >
    > how do i get the dektop icons to permanently stay as favicons?

    Favicons will go away when you clear your browser's cache and history
    (the Temporary Internet Files). You would need to revisit the sites to
    get them back.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 23, 2006
  10. sammy

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Sammy - These are known as favicons.ico (Favorite Icons) and they
    normally will only last until your Internet Explorer Temp files are cleared.

    You need to get a program called FavOrg 1.4 here:

    http://www.gratilog.net/anglais/internet/favorg.zip
    http://wittswallpapers.com/Oldies/favorg.zip
    http://www.gratilog.net/anglais/internet/favorg.zip

    or Version 1.2 here:

    http://members.madasafish.com/~merc/favorg.zip
    http://www.dothan.k12.al.us/vault/favorg.zip

    (still free at these links) which will allow you to save them permanently
    in a different folder and re-associate your favorites with the stored icons.
    (It will also verify whether your links in Favorites are stll good, BTW.)

    If you want to read more about it first, go here:

    You can also try FavIconizer, here:
    http://www.codeproject.com/tools/faviconizer.asp?target=favicons I've used
    this and it's quite good,. It will actually find about a third more than
    FavOrg does (since it checks for referenced URL's), but lacks some of the
    other cababilites of FavOrg, Recommended. (Warning, however - it's verrry
    slow compared with the others.)

    A third alternative is AM-Deadlink, free, here:
    http://www.aignes.com/products.htm "AM-DeadLink detects dead links and
    duplicates in your Browser Bookmarks. If a Bookmark has become unavailable
    you can delete it from your Browser. AM-Deadlink checks Bookmarks from
    Internet Explorer, Opera, Mozilla and Netscape. Additionally you can
    download FavIcons for Internet Explorer and Opera." Recommended

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MVP, DTS, ASVOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

    In news:458d3521$0$4251$,
    sammy <> typed:

    Jim Byrd, Dec 23, 2006
  11. sammy

    Bob B Guest

    > sammy wrote:
    >
    >> i'm running ie7 along with the windows xp home version.
    >>
    >> how do i get the dektop icons to permanently stay as favicons?

    > Favicons will go away when you clear your browser's cache and history
    > (the Temporary Internet Files). You would need to revisit the sites to
    > get them back.
    >
    > --
    > -bts

    That is not true if you have installed this free programe!!

    Bob

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Bookmark-Managers/favorg.shtml

    Bob B, Dec 24, 2006
  12. sammy

    Bob B Guest

    "sammy" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > i'm running ie7 along with the windows xp home version.
    >
    > how do i get the dektop icons to permanently stay as favicons?
    >
    > the favicons show up and disappear seemingly without reason and are
    > replaced by the genric ie icons. they switch back and forth. i know
    > there's a reason for this, but i'll be damned if i can figure it out. i'll
    > probably be damned anyway, come to think about it.
    >
    > anyway, i did a file search for "favicons" and there are a ton of them in
    > the memory.
    >
    > is there a program or some way i can just convert the "generics" to
    > favicon and have them stay on the desktop?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > mike

    try this !!

    Bob B, Dec 24, 2006
  13. Bob B wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> sammy wrote:
    >>
    >>> i'm running ie7 along with the windows xp home version.
    >>>
    >>> how do i get the dektop icons to permanently stay as favicons?

    >> Favicons will go away when you clear your browser's cache and
    >> history (the Temporary Internet Files). You would need to revisit
    >> the sites to get them back.

    > That is not true if you have installed this free programe!!

    Mebbe so, but a lot of people don't like to pollute their computer with
    tonnes of extra frivolous software. Favicons themselves are frivolous,
    eh? Cute, but frivolous.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 24, 2006
  14. sammy

    lee houston Guest

    "sammy" <> wrote in message
    > no sweat. kevlar got nothing on me. hey, for a long time i didn't use
    > punctuation. that really drove people nuts and made my writing
    > unintelligble at times. but i figure i can be understood without the caps.

    No sweat. no caps carry the most visual information.
    ALL CAPS SUCK in information content.

    So, give me your noncaps please.

    lee

    lee houston, Dec 24, 2006
  15. sammy

    Bob B Guest

    > Bob B wrote:

    >>> Favicons will go away when you clear your browser's cache and
    >>> history (the Temporary Internet Files). You would need to revisit
    >>> the sites to get them back.

    >> That is not true if you have installed this free programe!!

    > Mebbe so, but a lot of people don't like to pollute their computer with
    > tonnes of extra frivolous software. Favicons themselves are frivolous,
    > eh? Cute, but frivolous.

    Don't you agree that if you are going to have Icons they may as well be
    different rather than all becoming that boring default Explorer icon!! Merry
    Christmas!!

    Bob

    Bob B, Dec 24, 2006
  16. Bob B wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> Bob B wrote:

    >>> That is not true if you have installed this free programe!!

    >> Mebbe so, but a lot of people don't like to pollute their computer
    >> with tonnes of extra frivolous software. Favicons themselves are
    >> frivolous, eh? Cute, but frivolous.

    > Don't you agree that if you are going to have Icons they may as well
    > be different rather than all becoming that boring default Explorer
    > icon!! Merry Christmas!!

    Sure, it would be nice if they would stick around all by themselves
    without external help, but I don't get excited about it. They just
    aren't that important to me, I suppose. A lot of them aren't very well
    done, either, being somewhat difficult to get a meaningful image in a
    16x16 pixel image.

    One could change the boring IE icon to something else, too.

    Merry Christmas to you as well.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 24, 2006
  17. sammy

    sammy Guest

    bob,

    great program! i have a ton of icon/shortcuts on my desktop.. this program
    helps me differentiate one from the other. that generic ie icon made it
    difficult.

    thank you.

    sammy, Dec 24, 2006