Faulty Power Supply Unit?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Emrys Davies, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    My daughter has come home on holiday with her 'dead' computer hoping
    that I can fix it.

    I find that the monitor works perfectly and that there is not any life
    whatsoever in the system unit. No LED or fan movement or anything else.
    I am using my power lead and it works perfectly on my PC. The power
    switches appear to be operating OK on the dead unit.

    The computer is an Unika, Model SYS3A00IC Serie: AEF 14899117483 and is
    about six years old. It has a King Year Power Supply Unit, Model
    KYP-230ATX. No MB manual available.

    I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested by
    PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and I
    would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed action. I
    am thinking of compatibility re- the two units. My PC is a Pentium 111,
    550MHZ CPU.

    I would add that the offending unit was badly infested with dust, but I
    have removed that as best I can with the proper tools.

    Thanks,
    Emrys Davies.
    Emrys Davies, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Emrys Davies

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| My daughter has come home on holiday with her 'dead' computer hoping
    >| that I can fix it.
    >|
    >| I find that the monitor works perfectly and that there is not any
    >| life whatsoever in the system unit. No LED or fan movement or
    >| anything else. I am using my power lead and it works perfectly on my
    >| PC. The power switches appear to be operating OK on the dead unit.
    >|
    >| The computer is an Unika, Model SYS3A00IC Serie: AEF 14899117483
    >| and is about six years old. It has a King Year Power Supply Unit,
    >| Model KYP-230ATX. No MB manual available.
    >|
    >| I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested
    >| by PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and
    >| I would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed
    >| action. I am thinking of compatibility re- the two units. My PC is
    >| a Pentium 111, 550MHZ CPU.
    >|
    >| I would add that the offending unit was badly infested with dust,
    >| but I have removed that as best I can with the proper tools.
    >|
    >| Thanks,
    >| Emrys Davies.

    There are two ways to test a PSU. One is parts substitution, the other is
    technical testing of the device. The safest is the technical testing -
    voltage meter (DVM). But, many power supplies won't start unless they are
    connected to a motherboard.

    Part substitution (i.e., putting the unit in a different PC) presents some
    risk. If the supply is defective but not totally dead, it could be sending
    out incorrect voltages or surges, which would fry any equipment it was
    plugged into. And, the other way around, putting a working PSU into a dead
    computer, could also present problems. I've only had that happen once. I put
    a brand new PSU into a computer that had died. Apparently, something on the
    motherboard had gone out so severly that it immediately fried the new PSU.
    So, now I was out TWO new power supplies & a motherboard.

    So, if I were you, I'd proceed with caution. Considering the rather low cost
    of power supplies, I'd risk it - put a WORKING unit into your daughters
    computer (don't put HER dead PSU into YOUR computer!) That way, worst case,
    you're only out another PSU, not another system.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    'Toolman Tim',

    You have been most helpful with your well reasoned answer. Consequently,
    I have decided that I will have the PSU checked at PC World on the
    understanding that if it is faulty we will buy a new one. My daughter
    is anxious that I do not risk my PSU in any way.

    Thanks a lot.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Emrys Davies

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| 'Toolman Tim',
    >|
    >| You have been most helpful with your well reasoned answer.
    >| Consequently, I have decided that I will have the PSU checked at PC
    >| World on the understanding that if it is faulty we will buy a new
    >| one. My daughter is anxious that I do not risk my PSU in any way.
    >|
    >| Thanks a lot.
    >|
    >| Regards,
    >| Emrys Davies.

    You're welcome. (Fortunately the one I had that was defective was at work,
    so they bought the new motherboard and PSUs, not me <g>!)
    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Toolman Tim <> wrote:
    >>> My daughter has come home on holiday with her 'dead' computer hoping
    >>> that I can fix it.
    >>>
    >>> I find that the monitor works perfectly and that there is not any
    >>> life whatsoever in the system unit. No LED or fan movement or
    >>> anything else. I am using my power lead and it works perfectly on my
    >>> PC. The power switches appear to be operating OK on the dead unit.
    >>>
    >>> The computer is an Unika, Model SYS3A00IC Serie: AEF 14899117483
    >>> and is about six years old. It has a King Year Power Supply Unit,
    >>> Model KYP-230ATX. No MB manual available.
    >>>
    >>> I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested
    >>> by PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and
    >>> I would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed
    >>> action. I am thinking of compatibility re- the two units. My PC is
    >>> a Pentium 111, 550MHZ CPU.
    >>>
    >>> I would add that the offending unit was badly infested with dust,
    >>> but I have removed that as best I can with the proper tools.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Emrys Davies.

    > There are two ways to test a PSU. One is parts substitution, the
    > other is technical testing of the device. The safest is the technical
    > testing - voltage meter (DVM). But, many power supplies won't start
    > unless they are connected to a motherboard.
    >
    > Part substitution (i.e., putting the unit in a different PC) presents
    > some risk. If the supply is defective but not totally dead, it could
    > be sending out incorrect voltages or surges, which would fry any
    > equipment it was plugged into. And, the other way around, putting a
    > working PSU into a dead computer, could also present problems. I've
    > only had that happen once. I put a brand new PSU into a computer that
    > had died. Apparently, something on the motherboard had gone out so
    > severly that it immediately fried the new PSU. So, now I was out TWO
    > new power supplies & a motherboard.
    >
    > So, if I were you, I'd proceed with caution. Considering the rather
    > low cost of power supplies, I'd risk it - put a WORKING unit into
    > your daughters computer (don't put HER dead PSU into YOUR computer!)
    > That way, worst case, you're only out another PSU, not another system.

    Why not use a psu tester? I bought one and it has paid for itself 10 times
    over! (Ok actually I got it free from a supplier but I'm sure I paid for it
    somehow)
    Tonight I was building a new pc and the psu in the new case was DOA and it
    took 1 minute to figure out what was going on.

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299262&pfp=SEARCH

    http://www.dansdata.com/quickshot018.htm

    http://www.monster-hardware.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=96
    Trai' La' Trash, Sep 5, 2004
  6. I would think that PC World would probably charge more for testing a PSU
    than buying a new one.

    norfolk.in.chance, Sep 5, 2004
  7. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    No. They did not charge anything. They tested it on the understanding
    that if it proved to be faulty I would probably buy a new one. It was
    'dead' and they showed me a new one (300 watts) which costs £27.00, but
    I decided not to purchase because my daughter is trying to make her mind
    up as to whether to buy a new computer.

    Will probably shop around and get a new PSU tomorrow and see whether it
    breathes life into her system unit. If all fails I will keep the PSU as
    a possible replacement for mine, which is five years old.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Sep 5, 2004
  8. Emrys Davies

    Dan Evans Guest

    > I have removed the Power Supply Unit with a view to having it tested by
    > PC World, but I am minded to test the system unit with my PSU and I
    > would appreciate your views as to the merits of this proposed action.

    It takes less than 5 minutes, so what's the harm in trying?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Sep 5, 2004