faulty onboard LAN or something more sinister?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Troy Piggins, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    I have several workstations (WInXP PRo SP2) on a LAN that connect to a
    samba server to share files. One of the guys was connected to the samba
    server and was reading and writing fine over the network. He complained
    that his internet wasn't working. I checked proxy settings etc and all
    looked correct - the network has been running fine since Christmas 2004
    when it was set up.

    Tried to ping the gateway machine by name, and instead of the correct IP
    getting resolved there were weird control characters between the square
    brackets. eg

    C:\ping netserv

    Pinging netserv [xxx] with 32 bytes of data:

    where xxx was like "h" with umlauts and so on, but it should've been
    192.168.0.1

    I am pretty sure we saved the files he had open over the network
    successfully, then rebooted his machine. From then on he couldn't get
    any network at all - and "limited or no connectivity" cloud
    came up. Nothing.

    I thought maybe the onboard NIC had died (motherboard is Asus A7V600-X),
    so tried plugging in PCI network cards I had spare. They wouldn't
    install correctly, although I am sure they should've been auto detected
    by WInXP coz they were common/generic cards.

    The board was still under warranty, so decided to return to place of
    purchase. They would only accept the board alone, not in case with disk
    and peripherals etc, because I built it from components, not them. They
    ran tests on the board and reckon nothing wrong with the lan card.

    So now I am thinking it is a Windows corrupt driver - whether just
    corrupted, or something more sinister like virus/trojan etc I am not
    sure. Of course I run antivirus, antispyare etc with nothing nasty
    showing up (AVG free edition, Ad Aware, SpyBot S&D latest versions).

    So where do I go from here? Re-install windows? How to locate just the
    possible corrupt driver to replace it only and save complete
    installation?

    --
    Troy Piggins
    (playing with disposable email addresses
    Troy Piggins, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Troy Piggins

    Unk Guest

    On 18 Aug 2005 04:59:20 GMT, Troy Piggins <> wrote:

    >I have several workstations (WInXP PRo SP2) on a LAN that connect to a
    >samba server to share files. One of the guys was connected to the samba
    >server and was reading and writing fine over the network. He complained
    >that his internet wasn't working. I checked proxy settings etc and all
    >looked correct - the network has been running fine since Christmas 2004
    >when it was set up.
    >
    >Tried to ping the gateway machine by name, and instead of the correct IP
    >getting resolved there were weird control characters between the square
    >brackets. eg
    >
    >C:\ping netserv
    >
    >Pinging netserv [xxx] with 32 bytes of data:
    >
    >where xxx was like "h" with umlauts and so on, but it should've been
    >192.168.0.1
    >
    >I am pretty sure we saved the files he had open over the network
    >successfully, then rebooted his machine. From then on he couldn't get
    >any network at all - and "limited or no connectivity" cloud
    >came up. Nothing.
    >
    >I thought maybe the onboard NIC had died (motherboard is Asus A7V600-X),
    >so tried plugging in PCI network cards I had spare. They wouldn't
    >install correctly, although I am sure they should've been auto detected
    >by WInXP coz they were common/generic cards.
    >
    >The board was still under warranty, so decided to return to place of
    >purchase. They would only accept the board alone, not in case with disk
    >and peripherals etc, because I built it from components, not them. They
    >ran tests on the board and reckon nothing wrong with the lan card.
    >
    >So now I am thinking it is a Windows corrupt driver - whether just
    >corrupted, or something more sinister like virus/trojan etc I am not
    >sure. Of course I run antivirus, antispyare etc with nothing nasty
    >showing up (AVG free edition, Ad Aware, SpyBot S&D latest versions).
    >
    >So where do I go from here? Re-install windows? How to locate just the
    >possible corrupt driver to replace it only and save complete
    >installation?

    One of the network ports could be bad. Did you try connecting him to another port?

    A virus is another possibility.
    This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
    It will scan your system for 54 known viruses and trojans and repair them.
    You don't need McAfee anti-virus installed on your computer... this is a
    stand alone program. http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ or
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger
    Direct Download: http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    Microsoft provides free anti-virus software that can be used for 1 year.
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    Unk, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Unk wrote:
    > On 18 Aug 2005 04:59:20 GMT, Troy Piggins <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >>So where do I go from here? Re-install windows? How to locate just the
    >>possible corrupt driver to replace it only and save complete
    >>installation?

    > One of the network ports could be bad. Did you try connecting him to
    > another port?

    Didn't try that. Will do when I get the board back from the supplier
    (tomorrow).

    > A virus is another possibility. This is a link to a small FREE
    > program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger. It will scan your system
    > for 54 known viruses and trojans and repair them. You don't need
    > McAfee anti-virus installed on your computer... this is a stand alone
    > program. http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ or
    > http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger Direct Download:
    > http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
    >
    > Microsoft provides free anti-virus software that can be used for 1
    > year. http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    Ok, thanks.

    Troy Piggins, Aug 18, 2005
  4. Troy Piggins

    Unk Guest

    On 18 Aug 2005 06:02:41 GMT, Troy Piggins <> wrote:

    >* Unk wrote:
    >> On 18 Aug 2005 04:59:20 GMT, Troy Piggins <> wrote:

    >[snip]
    >>>So where do I go from here? Re-install windows? How to locate just the
    >>>possible corrupt driver to replace it only and save complete
    >>>installation?

    >> One of the network ports could be bad. Did you try connecting him to
    >> another port?

    >Didn't try that. Will do when I get the board back from the supplier
    >(tomorrow).
    >
    >> A virus is another possibility. This is a link to a small FREE
    >> program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger. It will scan your system
    >> for 54 known viruses and trojans and repair them. You don't need
    >> McAfee anti-virus installed on your computer... this is a stand alone
    >> program. http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ or
    >> http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger Direct Download:
    >> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
    >>
    >> Microsoft provides free anti-virus software that can be used for 1
    >> year. http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

    >Ok, thanks.

    You're welcome.
    Unk, Aug 18, 2005
  5. Troy Piggins wrote:

    > I have several workstations (WInXP PRo SP2) on a LAN that connect to a
    > samba server to share files. One of the guys was connected to the samba
    > server and was reading and writing fine over the network. He complained
    > that his internet wasn't working. I checked proxy settings etc and all
    > looked correct - the network has been running fine since Christmas 2004
    > when it was set up.
    >
    > Tried to ping the gateway machine by name, and instead of the correct IP
    > getting resolved there were weird control characters between the square
    > brackets. eg
    >
    > C:\ping netserv
    >
    > Pinging netserv [xxx] with 32 bytes of data:
    >
    > where xxx was like "h" with umlauts and so on, but it should've been
    > 192.168.0.1

    What gives a "nslookup netserv"?
    Check for weirdness in the %windir%}system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
    Run "ipconfig /all" and come back with the results.
    Btw., how do your windows boxen receive their IPs and gateway/DNS entries,
    static or DHCP from the/a server? ==> check the dhcp server.

    > I am pretty sure we saved the files he had open over the network
    > successfully, then rebooted his machine. From then on he couldn't get
    > any network at all - and "limited or no connectivity" cloud
    > came up. Nothing.

    That "limited" usually is a sign for not obtaining a address from dhcp.
    "ipconfig /all" should reveal, "ipconfig /release" and "renew" might fix it.

    > I thought maybe the onboard NIC had died (motherboard is Asus A7V600-X),
    > so tried plugging in PCI network cards I had spare. They wouldn't
    > install correctly, although I am sure they should've been auto detected
    > by WInXP coz they were common/generic cards.

    Too little information. Exclamation marks in device manager? What does event
    vewer tell you?
    > So now I am thinking it is a Windows corrupt driver - whether just
    > corrupted, or something more sinister like virus/trojan etc I am not
    > sure. Of course I run antivirus, antispyare etc with nothing nasty
    > showing up (AVG free edition, Ad Aware, SpyBot S&D latest versions).

    You can try uninstall tcpip (maybe possible with xp, if you install some
    other protocol like ipx before), then go to device manager and remove the
    NIC. Windows will find it at the next reboot. You may also either run
    system restore to a previous date, or sfc against a original cd.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Aug 18, 2005
  6. Troy Piggins

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Troy Piggins wrote:
    >
    >> I have several workstations (WInXP PRo SP2) on a LAN that connect to
    >> a samba server to share files. One of the guys was connected to the
    >> samba server and was reading and writing fine over the network. He
    >> complained that his internet wasn't working. I checked proxy
    >> settings etc and all looked correct - the network has been running
    >> fine since Christmas 2004 when it was set up.
    >>
    >> Tried to ping the gateway machine by name, and instead of the correct
    >> IP getting resolved there were weird control characters between the
    >> square brackets. eg
    >>
    >> C:\ping netserv
    >>
    >> Pinging netserv [xxx] with 32 bytes of data:
    >>
    >> where xxx was like "h" with umlauts and so on, but it should've been
    >> 192.168.0.1
    >>

    > What gives a "nslookup netserv"? Check for weirdness in the
    > %windir%}system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Run "ipconfig /all" and
    > come back with the results. Btw., how do your windows boxen receive
    > their IPs and gateway/DNS entries, static or DHCP from the/a server?
    > ==> check the dhcp server.

    Can't check ATM because the m/board is still with the supplier - I will
    get it back tomorrow. I checked ipconfig /all at the time and was
    correct IP given by the DHCP server, and also was correct in the DNS
    server.

    >> I am pretty sure we saved the files he had open over the network
    >> successfully, then rebooted his machine. From then on he couldn't
    >> get any network at all - and "limited or no connectivity" cloud came
    >> up. Nothing.
    >>

    > That "limited" usually is a sign for not obtaining a address from
    > dhcp. "ipconfig /all" should reveal, "ipconfig /release" and "renew"
    > might fix it.

    ipconfig /renew gave nothing from the "true" DHCP for our network -
    instead it just gave itself a 169.xxx address like windows does for no
    DHCP server (ie couldn't even see the DHCP server).

    >> I thought maybe the onboard NIC had died (motherboard is Asus
    >> A7V600-X), so tried plugging in PCI network cards I had spare. They
    >> wouldn't install correctly, although I am sure they should've been
    >> auto detected by WInXP coz they were common/generic cards.
    >>

    > Too little information. Exclamation marks in device manager? What does
    > event vewer tell you? ...

    Nope - device manager showed no problems (for the onboard NIC) , device
    working properly etc. No excl marks except the PCI cards I tried to
    plug in after the fact.

    >> So now I am thinking it is a Windows corrupt driver - whether just
    >> corrupted, or something more sinister like virus/trojan etc I am not
    >> sure. Of course I run antivirus, antispyare etc with nothing nasty
    >> showing up (AVG free edition, Ad Aware, SpyBot S&D latest versions).
    >>

    > You can try uninstall tcpip (maybe possible with xp, if you install
    > some other protocol like ipx before), then go to device manager and
    > remove the NIC. Windows will find it at the next reboot. You may also
    > either run system restore to a previous date, or sfc against a
    > original cd.

    Will try that when I get the board back. Thanks.

    Troy Piggins, Aug 18, 2005