Faulty Nokia Battery Replacement.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2007.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Has anyone got theirs yet? It turned out that both of the ones I have for my
    1100 needed replacing and I filled out the web form. A week or two later a
    friend (who doesn't have internet access) was around here and he checked his
    on my PC. Turned out his needed replacing too. He gave his addy as c/o my
    place and asked me to give him a txt when it arrived. He's in the process of
    moving flats and didn't want to lose it.

    His just arrived, DHL from Hong Kong, sent 04/09/07. (I texted him but he
    hasn't replied yet). However, no sign of mine. Seems odd, mine were
    "ordered" at least a week earlier. The DHL driver said he had "heaps" of
    these packages (and he knew what they were). I would have thought they'd all
    be sent out in a batch. <shrug>

    Just wondered if anyone else has received theirs.

    Cheers,
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2007

  2. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Has anyone got theirs yet? It turned out that both of the ones I have for my
    > 1100 needed replacing and I filled out the web form. A week or two later a
    > friend (who doesn't have internet access) was around here and he checked his
    > on my PC. Turned out his needed replacing too. He gave his addy as c/o my
    > place and asked me to give him a txt when it arrived. He's in the process of
    > moving flats and didn't want to lose it.
    >
    > His just arrived, DHL from Hong Kong, sent 04/09/07. (I texted him but he
    > hasn't replied yet). However, no sign of mine. Seems odd, mine were
    > "ordered" at least a week earlier. The DHL driver said he had "heaps" of
    > these packages (and he knew what they were). I would have thought they'd all
    > be sent out in a batch. <shrug>
    >
    > Just wondered if anyone else has received theirs.

    Not yet - I ordered 7 for various work phones about the same time you
    ordered yours.
    EMB, Sep 11, 2007

  3. ~misfit~

    Jason Rumney Guest

    On 11 Sep, 01:47, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > His just arrived, DHL from Hong Kong, sent 04/09/07. (I texted him but he
    > hasn't replied yet). However, no sign of mine. Seems odd, mine were
    > "ordered" at least a week earlier. The DHL driver said he had "heaps" of
    > these packages (and he knew what they were). I would have thought they'd all
    > be sent out in a batch. <shrug>

    Does his name come before yours in an alphabetical sort by any chance?

    I imagine that when they get your claim, they throw the battery in the
    outgoing pile for recycling, and put your address details into a
    database. Then when they get a shipment of batteries, they start
    sending them to people in the database, but whoever designed the
    application that pulls the info from the database made it sort by
    something other than record creation time for whatever reason, or not
    sort at all, which may result in random order with some databases.

    It'll probably take a few days to get through the shipment, and if the
    shipment isn't big enough to clear the backlog, you might end up
    waiting for the next one. If it doesn't turn up soon, I'd put in a
    complaint, they might have a few put aside for dealing with such
    complaints, or a flag in their database to ensure that yours is dealt
    with first when they get the next shipment so it doesn't slip again.
    It might even make them modify their database scripts to make the
    sending out more of a FIFO queue.
    Jason Rumney, Sep 11, 2007
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jason Rumney wrote:
    > On 11 Sep, 01:47, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > > His just arrived, DHL from Hong Kong, sent 04/09/07. (I texted him
    > > but he hasn't replied yet). However, no sign of mine. Seems odd,
    > > mine were "ordered" at least a week earlier. The DHL driver said he
    > > had "heaps" of these packages (and he knew what they were). I would
    > > have thought they'd all be sent out in a batch. <shrug>

    > Does his name come before yours in an alphabetical sort by any chance?
    >
    > I imagine that when they get your claim, they throw the battery in the
    > outgoing pile for recycling, and put your address details into a
    > database. Then when they get a shipment of batteries, they start
    > sending them to people in the database, but whoever designed the
    > application that pulls the info from the database made it sort by
    > something other than record creation time for whatever reason, or not
    > sort at all, which may result in random order with some databases.
    >
    > It'll probably take a few days to get through the shipment, and if the
    > shipment isn't big enough to clear the backlog, you might end up
    > waiting for the next one. If it doesn't turn up soon, I'd put in a
    > complaint, they might have a few put aside for dealing with such
    > complaints, or a flag in their database to ensure that yours is dealt
    > with first when they get the next shipment so it doesn't slip again.
    > It might even make them modify their database scripts to make the
    > sending out more of a FIFO queue.

    Good points, thanks Jason. His name is before mine. However EMB says he
    hasn't got his yet and his name is alphabetically before both of us.

    Cheers,
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2007
  5. On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:47:46 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Has anyone got theirs yet? It turned out that both of the ones I have for my
    >1100 needed replacing and I filled out the web form. A week or two later a
    >friend (who doesn't have internet access) was around here and he checked his
    >on my PC. Turned out his needed replacing too. He gave his addy as c/o my
    >place and asked me to give him a txt when it arrived. He's in the process of
    >moving flats and didn't want to lose it.
    >
    >His just arrived, DHL from Hong Kong, sent 04/09/07. (I texted him but he
    >hasn't replied yet). However, no sign of mine. Seems odd, mine were
    >"ordered" at least a week earlier. The DHL driver said he had "heaps" of
    >these packages (and he knew what they were). I would have thought they'd all
    >be sent out in a batch. <shrug>
    >
    >Just wondered if anyone else has received theirs.
    >
    >Cheers,

    Mine arrived yesterday by DHL

    Alan Keatinge
    Alan Keatinge, Sep 11, 2007
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Alan Keatinge wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:47:46 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone got theirs yet? It turned out that both of the ones I
    > > have for my 1100 needed replacing and I filled out the web form. A
    > > week or two later a friend (who doesn't have internet access) was
    > > around here and he checked his on my PC. Turned out his needed
    > > replacing too. He gave his addy as c/o my place and asked me to
    > > give him a txt when it arrived. He's in the process of moving flats
    > > and didn't want to lose it.
    > >
    > > His just arrived, DHL from Hong Kong, sent 04/09/07. (I texted him
    > > but he hasn't replied yet). However, no sign of mine. Seems odd,
    > > mine were "ordered" at least a week earlier. The DHL driver said he
    > > had "heaps" of these packages (and he knew what they were). I would
    > > have thought they'd all be sent out in a batch. <shrug>
    > >
    > > Just wondered if anyone else has received theirs.
    > >
    > > Cheers,

    > Mine arrived yesterday by DHL
    >
    > Alan Keatinge

    Thanks Alan, handy to know. I wonder what happens if there's nobody home to
    sign for them?
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 12, 2007
  7. ~misfit~

    John Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone got theirs yet? It turned out that both of the ones I have for
    > my 1100 needed replacing and I filled out the web form. A week or two
    > later a friend (who doesn't have internet access) was around here and he
    > checked his on my PC. Turned out his needed replacing too. He gave his
    > addy as c/o my place and asked me to give him a txt when it arrived. He's
    > in the process of moving flats and didn't want to lose it.
    >
    > His just arrived, DHL from Hong Kong, sent 04/09/07. (I texted him but he
    > hasn't replied yet). However, no sign of mine. Seems odd, mine were
    > "ordered" at least a week earlier. The DHL driver said he had "heaps" of
    > these packages (and he knew what they were). I would have thought they'd
    > all be sent out in a batch. <shrug>
    >
    > Just wondered if anyone else has received theirs.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > TTFN.
    >
    > Shaun.

    Just wondering how old your phones were. I have tried entering the numbers
    for various phones that are various ages, but none of them appear to need
    replaing.
    John, Sep 12, 2007
  8. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    John wrote:
    > Just wondering how old your phones were. I have tried entering the numbers
    > for various phones that are various ages, but none of them appear to need
    > replaing.

    I think it's a combination of age and model of phone. All the
    replacement batteries I needed were from one model of phone. Other
    Nokia models of the same age (and using the same battery) are ok.
    EMB, Sep 12, 2007
  9. ~misfit~

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:47:46 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >Has anyone got theirs yet?

    Thanks for alerting me to this. I hadn't heard about the recall.

    I tracked down the Nokia battery recall website:
    http://batteryreplacement.nokia.com/batteryreplacement/en/
    and discovered that my battery is one of the ones being recalled. Then
    filled in the info required to get a new one sent out to me.

    So thanks again for the heads up.
    Donchano, Sep 12, 2007
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    John wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone got theirs yet? It turned out that both of the ones I
    > > have for my 1100 needed replacing and I filled out the web form. A
    > > week or two later a friend (who doesn't have internet access) was
    > > around here and he checked his on my PC. Turned out his needed
    > > replacing too. He gave his addy as c/o my place and asked me to
    > > give him a txt when it arrived. He's in the process of moving flats
    > > and didn't want to lose it. His just arrived, DHL from Hong Kong, sent
    > > 04/09/07. (I texted him
    > > but he hasn't replied yet). However, no sign of mine. Seems odd,
    > > mine were "ordered" at least a week earlier. The DHL driver said he
    > > had "heaps" of these packages (and he knew what they were). I would
    > > have thought they'd all be sent out in a batch. <shrug>
    > >
    > > Just wondered if anyone else has received theirs.

    > Just wondering how old your phones were. I have tried entering the
    > numbers for various phones that are various ages, but none of them
    > appear to need replaing.

    Mine were both for Nokia phone model 1100 bought in February of last year,
    after the 1100 had been superceded by the 1100i but just before the 1100
    became unavailable. I believe that my friend's was bought about 6 monmths
    earlier, same model.

    HTH,
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 12, 2007
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:47:46 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> magnanimously proffered:
    >
    > > Has anyone got theirs yet?

    > Thanks for alerting me to this. I hadn't heard about the recall.
    >
    > I tracked down the Nokia battery recall website:
    > http://batteryreplacement.nokia.com/batteryreplacement/en/
    > and discovered that my battery is one of the ones being recalled. Then
    > filled in the info required to get a new one sent out to me.
    >
    > So thanks again for the heads up.

    You're welcome. Pleased to help. :)
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 12, 2007
  12. On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:26:20 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Alan Keatinge wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:47:46 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Has anyone got theirs yet? It turned out that both of the ones I
    >> > have for my 1100 needed replacing and I filled out the web form. A
    >> > week or two later a friend (who doesn't have internet access) was
    >> > around here and he checked his on my PC. Turned out his needed
    >> > replacing too. He gave his addy as c/o my place and asked me to
    >> > give him a txt when it arrived. He's in the process of moving flats
    >> > and didn't want to lose it.
    >> >
    >> > His just arrived, DHL from Hong Kong, sent 04/09/07. (I texted him
    >> > but he hasn't replied yet). However, no sign of mine. Seems odd,
    >> > mine were "ordered" at least a week earlier. The DHL driver said he
    >> > had "heaps" of these packages (and he knew what they were). I would
    >> > have thought they'd all be sent out in a batch. <shrug>
    >> >
    >> > Just wondered if anyone else has received theirs.
    >> >
    >> > Cheers,

    >> Mine arrived yesterday by DHL
    >>
    >> Alan Keatinge

    >Thanks Alan, handy to know. I wonder what happens if there's nobody home to
    >sign for them?

    They just left the huge envelope in the letter box. We didn't know it
    was there until we checked for any mail late in the day.
    Included with the battery was a note to say that they would be
    advising me in a few days about disposing of the old one.

    Alan Keatinge
    Alan Keatinge, Sep 12, 2007
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Alan Keatinge wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:26:20 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Alan Keatinge wrote:

    > > > Mine arrived yesterday by DHL

    > > Thanks Alan, handy to know. I wonder what happens if there's nobody
    > > home to sign for them?

    > They just left the huge envelope in the letter box. We didn't know it
    > was there until we checked for any mail late in the day.
    > Included with the battery was a note to say that they would be
    > advising me in a few days about disposing of the old one.

    Interesting to know. I signed for the one that came here as I saw the guy at
    the gate and went out. He was near the mailbox too.

    Yeah, silly great big envelopes for a tiny little battery huh?
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Sep 13, 2007