    unplugged/re-seated everything on the board but no dice. I found a post on a
    forum that had similar issues, a reply suggested that maybe the PSU had done
    some damage to the board. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    Cima, Aug 20, 2009

  2. Cima

    PeeCee Guest

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm checking out a box with an ASUS P58-E board. When you turn it on, the
    > power
    > & HD LEDS flick on & off 4 times then it shuts completely off. The CPU fan
    > also
    > spins very briefly. I've tried another PSU and the same thing happens.
    > I've
    > unplugged/re-seated everything on the board but no dice. I found a post on
    > forum that had similar issues, a reply suggested that maybe the PSU had
    > done
    > some damage to the board. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

    Check the wattage rating of your substitute power supply.
    Disconnect a much as possible from the motherboard & retry.
    Reset the CMOS in case the board Bios settings have been screwed.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Aug 21, 2009

  3. Cima

    Cima Guest

    On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:33:35 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >"Cima" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm checking out a box with an ASUS P58-E board. When you turn it on, the
    >> power
    >> & HD LEDS flick on & off 4 times then it shuts completely off. The CPU fan
    >> also
    >> spins very briefly. I've tried another PSU and the same thing happens.
    >> I've
    >> unplugged/re-seated everything on the board but no dice. I found a post on
    >> forum that had similar issues, a reply suggested that maybe the PSU had
    >> done
    >> some damage to the board. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    >>

    >Check the wattage rating of your substitute power supply.
    >Disconnect a much as possible from the motherboard & retry.
    >Reset the CMOS in case the board Bios settings have been screwed.

    Both PSU's are 400w. The replacement one I tried is new. I unplugged everything
    apart from the power connectors to the board and removed the graphics card, but
    still the same problem. CMOS reset also does the same thing. I suspect it might
    be knackered.
    Cima, Aug 23, 2009
  4. On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:46:33 +1200, Cima <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:33:35 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Cima" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm checking out a box with an ASUS P58-E board. When you turn it on, the
    >>> power
    >>> & HD LEDS flick on & off 4 times then it shuts completely off. The CPU fan
    >>> also
    >>> spins very briefly. I've tried another PSU and the same thing happens.
    >>> I've
    >>> unplugged/re-seated everything on the board but no dice. I found a post on
    >>> forum that had similar issues, a reply suggested that maybe the PSU had
    >>> done
    >>> some damage to the board. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    >>>

    >>Check the wattage rating of your substitute power supply.
    >>Disconnect a much as possible from the motherboard & retry.
    >>Reset the CMOS in case the board Bios settings have been screwed.
    >>

    > Both PSU's are 400w. The replacement one I tried is new. I unplugged everything
    > apart from the power connectors to the board and removed the graphics card, but
    > still the same problem. CMOS reset also does the same thing. I suspect it might
    > be knackered.

    If the symptoms persist with only the motherboard (and CPU?) connected to
    the power supply, then it would certainly point to a faulty motherboard -
    very likely irreparable and in need of replacement.

    --
    - Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 23, 2009