    dropping gradually while I am using it and then the level will shoot up to
    fully charged (in reality the battery level must be close to zero)
    What is the most likely fault ? Is it the battery?

    tomm, Mar 25, 2009

  2. tomm

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:38:17 -0000, "tomm"
    <> wrote:

    >I have an advent 9515 laptop. The battery level status monitor has started
    >to behave very weirdly.
    > For example .. I can charge the battery until the green light indicates it
    >is fully charged but when I boot up the laptop
    >the battery level will show as half full. Or the battery level will show as
    >dropping gradually while I am using it and then the level will shoot up to
    >fully charged (in reality the battery level must be close to zero)
    > What is the most likely fault ? Is it the battery?

    How old is the battery?

    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2009

  3. tomm

    thanatoid Guest

    "tomm" <> wrote in

    > I have an advent 9515 laptop. The battery level status
    > monitor has started to behave very weirdly.
    > For example .. I can charge the battery until the green
    > light indicates it
    > is fully charged but when I boot up the laptop
    > the battery level will show as half full. Or the battery
    > level will show as dropping gradually while I am using it
    > and then the level will shoot up to fully charged (in
    > reality the battery level must be close to zero)
    > What is the most likely fault ? Is it the battery?

    I have 3 rules which have rarely been proven wrong, at least in
    my experience.

    1. It's always the cable.
    2. If it's not the cable, it's the battery or power supply.
    3. It could be anything, give up if you wish to stay sane.

    # 3 is hard to follow as the state of my nerves amply prove.

    Good luck.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)

    thanatoid, Mar 25, 2009
  4. tomm

    chuckcar Guest

    "tomm" <> wrote in

    > I have an advent 9515 laptop. The battery level status monitor has
    > started to behave very weirdly.
    > For example .. I can charge the battery until the green light indicates
    > it
    > is fully charged but when I boot up the laptop
    > the battery level will show as half full. Or the battery level will
    > show as dropping gradually while I am using it and then the level will
    > shoot up to fully charged (in reality the battery level must be close to
    > zero)
    > What is the most likely fault ? Is it the battery?

    Maybe it's got a "memory" from not being fully charged. Try this: use the
    laptop without the power cord until the computer goes into hibernate due
    to the battery being uncharged then charge the battery for a *full* charge
    cycle before using it again.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 25, 2009
  5. tomm wrote:
    > I have an advent 9515 laptop. The battery level status monitor has
    > started to behave very weirdly.
    > For example .. I can charge the battery until the green light indicates
    > it is fully charged but when I boot up the laptop
    > the battery level will show as half full. Or the battery level will
    > show as dropping gradually while I am using it and then the level will
    > shoot up to fully charged (in reality the battery level must be close to
    > zero)
    > What is the most likely fault ? Is it the battery?

    Depends on the type of battery. NiCads discharge at fluctuating rates.
    I have some that I can get extra energy from simply by hitting them with
    my hand. Dun worry...I never do it with my laptop batteries.
    Get a new battery.

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com