faulty hardware?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SomebodyElse, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    Neighbours computer has been extremely slow recently (slower than usual).
    It got slow fairly quickly, so possibly something died in it. I've looked
    at it many times and there's nothing in the way of software that would
    really explain it.....no virus, no trojan, no spyware....etc.

    I figured I'd wipe it and reinstall the os (Win ME)

    I deleted all the files on the HD, apart from one directory that contained
    stuff that needed to be kept, and began reinstalling Windows ME.

    It did the scandisk and then started the installation by copying files
    from the cd. After it got to 100%, I get a black box in the middle of the
    screen, and nothing happens. It would appear that the black box is to
    contain some kind of message saying "your fucked" but it's just a plain
    black area of screen.

    I've tried this many times (with both WinME and Win95), with one or
    more/all of the following:
    sound card & modem removed (all cards except video)
    video card replaced
    RAM replaced (SDRAM replaced with DDR)
    but no difference.

    I've also tried replacing the cpu, but I'm unsure of the reliability of
    the one that I replaced it with. (In fact I think it's probably knackered)

    Only thing left is the motherboard, or the cpu (if the one I replaced it
    with was dodgy)

    Does this sound like anything that can specifically be pinned down to the
    motherboard or cpu? Should I replace each of them with secondhand ones? Or
    am I just flogging a dead horse?

    There was a problem with the cpu overheating for a while a while back, so
    I tend to think the cpu is probably the problem, but I don't know.

    They ain't got much (any) spare money so I'd like to get it working for as
    little as possible, but I've used up all my spare parts to no avail!! Am I
    likely to be able to get it working by replacing the motherboard and/or
    cpu, or should I just plain tell them it's fucked?

    Advice appreciated
    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Nov 25, 2003

  2. SomebodyElse

    Matt Guest

    What about replacing Hard disk and/or IDE cable?
    Can check memory with memtest86 overnight to be sure...

    Matt, Nov 25, 2003

  3. SomebodyElse

    J Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:37:46 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    wrote:

    Tried a test hard drive ? bad sectors or issues with the drive
    electronics can lead to a fairly dramatic speed decrease, generally
    the system would start crashing though..

    J, Nov 25, 2003
  4. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:46:12 +0000, Matt wrote:

    > What about replacing Hard disk and/or IDE cable?
    > Can check memory with memtest86 overnight to be sure...

    No bad sectors on the disk. Not on any of the 'used' section of the disk
    anyways.
    What's memtest86? I should look it up...

    Strange thing - it's now installing fine. I did something fairly
    deliberate, although I can't for the life of me remember what it was, and
    it's installing fine now.

    I have no idea what I did. I remember thinking "well, I should try the
    install one more time just incase that worked" but I can't remember what
    'that' was!

    Aw well....it's working now, but I've told them to start saving for a new
    computer..........

    but I'll look up that memtest86.

    Cheers
    - Scott

    ps. thanks J also who posted a reply. I had checked the hd (but didn't
    mention it) but all seems well)

    SomebodyElse, Nov 25, 2003
  5. On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:37:46 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    wrote:

    >It did the scandisk and then started the installation by copying files
    >from the cd. After it got to 100%, I get a black box in the middle of the
    >screen, and nothing happens. It would appear that the black box is to
    >contain some kind of message saying "your fucked" but it's just a plain
    >black area of screen.

    Turn off virus protect / boot block protect in the CMOS setup (press
    DEL when starting the PC)

    It will be a DOS window provided from the BIOS, warning you that the
    last stages of Windows install is attempting to overwrite the MBR on
    the hard drive (a virus-like activity, back in the DOS days)

    Alternatively, you may be able to press Y, when that "window" is up,
    to accept it.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Nov 25, 2003
  6. SomebodyElse

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:14:53 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    wrote:

    >What's memtest86? I should look it up...
    >

    >but I'll look up that memtest86.

    In case you haven't found it yet.

    http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

    I use the ISO and make a bootable CDROM.

    Dogg, Nov 25, 2003
  7. SomebodyElse

    Rider Guest

    "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:14:53 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >What's memtest86? I should look it up...
    > >

    > >but I'll look up that memtest86.
    > >

    > In case you haven't found it yet.
    >
    > http://www.memtest86.com/#download0
    >
    > I use the ISO and make a bootable CDROM.

    I used memtest86 on some RAM I knew didnt work in a computer. After a
    weekend of running this program, no faults were reported.

    Unfortunately, the RAM just wouldnt work in this machine. So, I'm not that
    convinced memtest86 is that brilliant.

    Rider

    Rider, Nov 25, 2003
  8. SomebodyElse

    Dogg Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:33:57 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >Unfortunately, the RAM just wouldnt work in this machine. So, I'm not that
    >convinced memtest86 is that brilliant.
    >
    >Rider

    I kinda had the same thing with a Compaq machine. It would blue screen
    and spaz out with a certain stick of RAM. Ran the mem test and it
    showed no errors. Tried another piece (Legend) which worked fine. Put
    the original stick into another machine which has been going sweet
    ever since. In this case. I'm guessing the Compaq was just being
    fussy.

    Dogg, Nov 25, 2003
  9. SomebodyElse

    Rider Guest

    "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:33:57 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >Unfortunately, the RAM just wouldnt work in this machine. So, I'm not

    that
    > >convinced memtest86 is that brilliant.
    > >
    > >Rider
    > >

    > I kinda had the same thing with a Compaq machine. It would blue screen
    > and spaz out with a certain stick of RAM. Ran the mem test and it
    > showed no errors. Tried another piece (Legend) which worked fine. Put
    > the original stick into another machine which has been going sweet
    > ever since. In this case. I'm guessing the Compaq was just being
    > fussy.

    The one I had trouble with wouldnt work in any machine. The RAM was just
    stuffed :-(

    Rider, Nov 25, 2003
  10. SomebodyElse

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:14:53 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> What's memtest86? I should look it up...
    >>>

    >>> but I'll look up that memtest86.
    >>>

    >> In case you haven't found it yet.
    >>
    >> http://www.memtest86.com/#download0
    >>
    >> I use the ISO and make a bootable CDROM.

    > I used memtest86 on some RAM I knew didnt work in a computer. After a
    > weekend of running this program, no faults were reported.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the RAM just wouldnt work in this machine. So, I'm not
    > that convinced memtest86 is that brilliant.

    Don't forget memtest86 doesn't just test the module (It couldn't unless it
    was a hardware device that the module physically plugged into) it also has
    to contend with the mobo and the way the mobo addresses the RAM. There can
    be compatibility problems that memtest just can't forsee or compensate for.
    I personally think memtest does a very good job, within the constraints it
    has to work with.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  11. SomebodyElse

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Neighbours computer has been extremely slow recently (slower than usual).
    > It got slow fairly quickly, so possibly something died in it. I've looked
    > at it many times and there's nothing in the way of software that would
    > really explain it.....no virus, no trojan, no spyware....etc.
    >
    > I figured I'd wipe it and reinstall the os (Win ME)
    >
    > I deleted all the files on the HD, apart from one directory that contained
    > stuff that needed to be kept, and began reinstalling Windows ME.
    >
    > It did the scandisk and then started the installation by copying files
    > from the cd. After it got to 100%, I get a black box in the middle of the
    > screen, and nothing happens. It would appear that the black box is to
    > contain some kind of message saying "your fucked" but it's just a plain
    > black area of screen.

    Check the antivirus feature in the Bios is disabled, if there is one.
    This feature prevents Windows from modifying the HDD boot sector and will
    stop an installation dead.

    Mainlander, Nov 26, 2003