Faulty Elect Caps..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brian Withers, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. Brian Withers, Jan 23, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Brian Withers

    XPD Guest

    "Brian Withers" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > What you should know
    >
    >
    > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195
    >
    >
    >


    A LOT of the IBM KZA-6059 models has stuffed caps.... we had a contract with
    IBM at work to supply us with systems, and most were the KZA and 90% of them
    now have been sent back at on time or another for dodgy caps on the
    board...... turns out that some guys use to use work for the cap company IBM
    used, then left and started their own company and sold IBM some caps....
    however they used the wrong "ingedients" and they all started leaking :p
    So, IBM had to replace all the faulty boards.......
    XPD, Jan 23, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Brian Withers

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Brian Withers" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> What you should know
    >>
    >>
    >> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > A LOT of the IBM KZA-6059 models has stuffed caps.... we had a
    > contract with IBM at work to supply us with systems, and most were
    > the KZA and 90% of them now have been sent back at on time or another
    > for dodgy caps on the board...... turns out that some guys use to use
    > work for the cap company IBM used, then left and started their own
    > company and sold IBM some caps.... however they used the wrong
    > "ingedients" and they all started leaking :p So, IBM had to replace
    > all the faulty boards.......


    You make it all sound so neighbourly. The 'cap company IBM used' was the
    biggest cap manufacturer in Japan, when these chaps left they stole company
    secrets and set up a plant in Taiwan. Unfortunately/fortunately the parent
    company in Japan wasn't that stupid and made sure that none of the
    defectors, either singly or serially, had the complete formula. They thought
    they had it though and flooded the market with billions of defective
    capacitors. The result is what you see/have seen recently and the
    repercussions will go on for a long time yet. There are a lot of otherwise
    potentially continuingly useful machines of around the 1Ghz range that will,
    sadly, end up prematurely scrapped because of this incident. I have lost a
    couple of excellent machines/motherboards to premature cap failure, boards I
    am simply unable to replace. That's whole machines ruined.

    Oh, the 'cap company IBM used' is the same one that 90% of all motherboard
    makers used. They just stick different labels on different ranges of caps.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 23, 2005
    #3
  4. Brian Withers

    colinco Guest

    In article ~misfit~ says...
    > You make it all sound so neighbourly. The 'cap company IBM used' was the
    > biggest cap manufacturer in Japan, when these chaps left they stole company
    > secrets and set up a plant in Taiwan. Unfortunately/fortunately the parent
    > company in Japan wasn't that stupid and made sure that none of the
    > defectors, either singly or serially, had the complete formula.
    >

    1 person left Rubycon, subsequently there was a stuff up by coworkers of
    his according to this story http://www.niccomp.com/taiwanlowesr.htm
    colinco, Jan 23, 2005
    #4
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 24, 2005
    #5
  6. On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:05:28 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Brian Withers wrote:
    >> What you should know
    >> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

    >
    > I notice that our less than 3 yr old Dells have them... had ~5 last
    > month, 8 sofar this month... looks like they'll be as bad as the IBM
    > ones we had here.


    what models are they ? Optiplex 260, 270s?
    wogers nemesis, Jan 24, 2005
    #6
  7. Brian Withers

    ~misfit~ Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article ~misfit~ says...
    >> You make it all sound so neighbourly. The 'cap company IBM used' was
    >> the biggest cap manufacturer in Japan, when these chaps left they
    >> stole company secrets and set up a plant in Taiwan.
    >> Unfortunately/fortunately the parent company in Japan wasn't that
    >> stupid and made sure that none of the defectors, either singly or
    >> serially, had the complete formula.
    >>

    > 1 person left Rubycon, subsequently there was a stuff up by coworkers
    > of his according to this story http://www.niccomp.com/taiwanlowesr.htm


    Ok, so I missed a small step out for simplicity's sake. The upshot is still
    the same. Everybody used to use Rubycon electrolyte, then a whole bunch of
    cheaper, defective electrolyte appeared on the market. The steps between the
    two involved defection and (incomplete) theft of formula.

    (And I retract the 'no one person knowing formula'. Obviously this wasn't
    true or the guy from Rubycon wouldn't have got it in the first place. Urban
    legend).
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 24, 2005
    #7
  8. wogers nemesis wrote:
    >>I notice that our less than 3 yr old Dells have them... had ~5 last
    >>month, 8 sofar this month... looks like they'll be as bad as the IBM
    >>ones we had here.


    > what models are they ? Optiplex 260, 270s?


    yep, another one this morning... grrr.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 24, 2005
    #8
  9. Brian Withers

    xlo Guest

    Not just on motherboards...

    I have a "YHI" brand power supply here for a Genius scanner, with a 22uf
    450v "Elite" brand cap (in black shrink wrap) which is oozing - and
    blowing the fuse.
    Normally I'd have just chucked it out - but took a look to see if it was
    what I suspected it was from the funny smell.

    The motherboard caps causing problems are comparatively high capacitance
    / low voltage, unlike this one. Don't know if they use the same
    electrolyte, but it looks exactly like the one in the photo - blown out
    rubber end, and liquid oozing out.

    If it was worth fixing, then getting another 22uf 450 v cap, which is no
    bigger than 10mm x 25mm might be a problem...
    xlo, Jan 25, 2005
    #9
  10. Brian Withers

    Mercury Guest

    Take a look at this:

    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

    The mobo caps are Low ESR (IE not the usual type at all), which is
    important. You are unlikely to get them at DSE :) If a PSU cap or high
    voltage cap has gone, it may be heat, bad luck, or some other issue -
    probably a lot easier to fix, but be careful!

    The infamous Gary Hadlee(hooz?) is referred to in the article. If you need
    mobo's fixed, contact him.


    "xlo" <> wrote in message
    news:1106642000.825406@ftpsrv1...
    > Not just on motherboards...
    >
    > I have a "YHI" brand power supply here for a Genius scanner, with a 22uf
    > 450v "Elite" brand cap (in black shrink wrap) which is oozing - and
    > blowing the fuse.
    > Normally I'd have just chucked it out - but took a look to see if it was
    > what I suspected it was from the funny smell.
    >
    > The motherboard caps causing problems are comparatively high capacitance /
    > low voltage, unlike this one. Don't know if they use the same electrolyte,
    > but it looks exactly like the one in the photo - blown out rubber end, and
    > liquid oozing out.
    >
    > If it was worth fixing, then getting another 22uf 450 v cap, which is no
    > bigger than 10mm x 25mm might be a problem...
    Mercury, Jan 26, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gavin23601

    Faulty disk or faulty player?

    Gavin23601, Oct 21, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    583
    Stan Brown
    Oct 22, 2003
  2. Borked Pseudo Mailed

    Re-elect Jeffrey Hause NAMBLA president

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Dec 3, 2006, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    462
    Borked Pseudo Mailed
    Dec 3, 2006
  3. Graham Fountain

    Faulty Camera or Faulty Photographer?

    Graham Fountain, Sep 17, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    40
    Views:
    1,141
  4. K & S

    Leaky MoBo Elect Caps..

    K & S, Jan 15, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    283
    K & S
    Jan 15, 2004
  5. The GHOST of WOGER.

    The Reason for Low ESR Elect Caps..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 15, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    465
    Ron McNulty
    Jul 17, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page