    part of the disk) and is there any way I can force it to play an episode
    without having to load the menu.

    PS my PC will not read it at all
    Hamish, May 27, 2005

  2. Hamish

    Billy Joe Guest

    In ref: d77p9t$f0h$-infra.bt.com

    Hamish <> wrote:

    > I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and
    > have just started watching it. The third disk however
    > struggles to be recognised, but will occasionally load the
    > menu and then I can watch the episodes. The disk is unmarked,
    > so I assume it is a faulty disk. Where does the menu system
    > sit in relation to the data, ( I am thinking of carefully
    > polishing the menu part of the disk) and is there any way I
    > can force it to play an episode without having to load the
    > menu.
    > PS my PC will not read it at all

    Wow! I've had several discs that were sluggish at loading and
    which, in a miraculaous test of user patience, managed to load
    just as I discovered the locale of the remote, intent on
    pressing the eject button.

    However, I am also addicted enough to have several DVD drives on
    almost as many PCs, and have never failed to find ONE of those
    that would read the disc.

    If you do not SEE a flaw, polishing will probably not accomplish
    anything. Considering that the DVD occasionally does read, I'd
    try cleaning the player's reader first. Failing there, clean
    the DVD reader on your PC. Failing there, seek out a friend
    with a PC and an interest in video; ask the friend to convert
    the disc to new media for you.

    BJ
    Billy Joe, May 27, 2005

  3. Hamish

    P Pron Guest

    Hamish wrote:
    || I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and have
    || just started watching it. The third disk however struggles to be
    || recognised, but will occasionally load the menu and then I can watch
    || the episodes. The disk is unmarked, so I assume it is a faulty disk.
    || Where does the menu system sit in relation to the data, ( I am
    || thinking of carefully polishing the menu part of the disk) and is
    || there any way I can force it to play an episode without having to
    || load the menu.
    || PS my PC will not read it at all

    DVDs and CDs play from the inside, but if the disc has no visible blemishes,
    I can't see how polishing could possibly make a difference.....

    paul
    P Pron, May 28, 2005
  4. Hamish

    Hamish Guest

    >> I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and
    >> have just started watching it. The third disk however
    >> struggles to be recognised, but will occasionally load the
    >> menu and then I can watch the episodes. The disk is unmarked,
    >> so I assume it is a faulty disk. Where does the menu system
    >> sit in relation to the data, ( I am thinking of carefully
    >> polishing the menu part of the disk) and is there any way I
    >> can force it to play an episode without having to load the
    >> menu.
    >> PS my PC will not read it at all

    > Wow! I've had several discs that were sluggish at loading and which, in a
    > miraculaous test of user patience, managed to load just as I discovered
    > the locale of the remote, intent on pressing the eject button.
    >
    > However, I am also addicted enough to have several DVD drives on almost as
    > many PCs, and have never failed to find ONE of those that would read the
    > disc.
    >
    > If you do not SEE a flaw, polishing will probably not accomplish anything.
    > Considering that the DVD occasionally does read, I'd try cleaning the
    > player's reader first. Failing there, clean the DVD reader on your PC.
    > Failing there, seek out a friend with a PC and an interest in video; ask
    > the friend to convert the disc to new media for you.
    >
    > BJ

    Tried to watch it today, and I can not get it to run at all. I have written
    to the supplier, but as I bought it in march 2004 I do not hold out much
    hope. I have ordered a Double layer DVD recorder for my PC, so I will see if
    that will read it and if it will I will attempt to write it to a new disk.
    Hamish, May 29, 2005
  5. Hamish

    NFord Guest

    "Billy Joe" <> wrote in message
    > In ref: d77p9t$f0h$-infra.bt.com
    >
    > Hamish <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and
    >> have just started watching it. The third disk however
    >> struggles to be recognised, but will occasionally load the
    >> menu and then I can watch the episodes. The disk is unmarked,
    >> so I assume it is a faulty disk. Where does the menu system
    >> sit in relation to the data, ( I am thinking of carefully
    >> polishing the menu part of the disk) and is there any way I
    >> can force it to play an episode without having to load the
    >> menu.
    >> PS my PC will not read it at all

    > Wow! I've had several discs that were sluggish at loading and which, in a
    > miraculaous test of user patience, managed to load just as I discovered
    > the locale of the remote, intent on pressing the eject button.
    >
    > However, I am also addicted enough to have several DVD drives on almost as
    > many PCs, and have never failed to find ONE of those that would read the
    > disc.
    >
    > If you do not SEE a flaw, polishing will probably not accomplish anything.
    > Considering that the DVD occasionally does read, I'd try cleaning the
    > player's reader first. Failing there, clean the DVD reader on your PC....

    In 7+ years, I've had only one retail movie DVD (purchased,
    not rented) go bad (The Jackal). It had no visible flaws, and it
    obviously was not caused by a dirty player/reader (since no
    other DVDs have been affected).

    Back when it happened, I tried to get a replacement from
    the dealer, to no avail, so I repurchased it. If it happened now,
    I would just order up the DVD from NetFlix and copy it.
    If they ever come out with uncopyable DVDs, they better
    also come up with a better policy for replacing bad DVDs.
    NFord, Jun 1, 2005
  6. Hamish

    Hamish Guest

    >>> I have a "new" Buffy DVD season 1. I bought this in 2004 and
    >>> have just started watching it. The third disk however
    >>> struggles to be recognised, but will occasionally load the
    >>> menu and then I can watch the episodes. The disk is unmarked,
    >>> so I assume it is a faulty disk. Where does the menu system
    >>> sit in relation to the data, ( I am thinking of carefully
    >>> polishing the menu part of the disk) and is there any way I
    >>> can force it to play an episode without having to load the
    >>> menu.
    >>> PS my PC will not read it at all

    >> Wow! I've had several discs that were sluggish at loading and which, in
    >> a miraculaous test of user patience, managed to load just as I discovered
    >> the locale of the remote, intent on pressing the eject button.
    >>
    >> However, I am also addicted enough to have several DVD drives on almost
    >> as many PCs, and have never failed to find ONE of those that would read
    >> the disc.
    >>
    >> If you do not SEE a flaw, polishing will probably not accomplish
    >> anything. Considering that the DVD occasionally does read, I'd try
    >> cleaning the player's reader first. Failing there, clean the DVD reader
    >> on your PC....

    > In 7+ years, I've had only one retail movie DVD (purchased,
    > not rented) go bad (The Jackal). It had no visible flaws, and it
    > obviously was not caused by a dirty player/reader (since no
    > other DVDs have been affected).
    >
    > Back when it happened, I tried to get a replacement from
    > the dealer, to no avail, so I repurchased it. If it happened now,
    > I would just order up the DVD from NetFlix and copy it.
    > If they ever come out with uncopyable DVDs, they better
    > also come up with a better policy for replacing bad DVDs.

    I have had a reply from the supplier who "kindly" offered to replace the
    disc at the normal retail price I originaly paid.
    Seeing as I have already paid for the copyright of the material by
    purchasing once I will not be taking them up on there offer, so both they
    and their supplier make a double killing

    Whats the best DVD copying software?
    Hamish, Jun 2, 2005