    can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the lens to open.

    Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound like
    a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new camera?
    Chris Lim, Nov 28, 2006

  2. Chris Lim

    El Penguino Guest

    On 27 Nov 2006 22:25:06 -0800, "Chris Lim" <>
    wrote:

    >My Canon A85 has just started playing up. When I turn it on the lens
    >opens up as per normal but then retracts back to its closed position by
    >itself. The LCD remains on but blank. If I switch it to 'play' mode I
    >can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the lens to open.
    >
    >Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound like
    >a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new camera?

    Everythings repairable, but is it worth it? Whats this camera worth -
    how good is it? A repair tech will cost 80-$100/hr + parts @ $60-$125
    for a board (going from experience with another brand) and at the end
    of it you will have a working but 2nd hand camera.

    Where are you?

    HTH,
    El P
    El Penguino, Nov 28, 2006

  3. Chris Lim

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Chris Lim" <> wrote in news:1164695106.184671.167120
    @n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

    > Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound like
    > a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new camera?

    Sounds like the lens limit switch or lens motor overcurrent. Gently help
    it further? Sand grain? Camera shop? Do it yourself?
    Buy a new one? Post in NZ.tech?

    Post in nz.tech is probably the right answer.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 28, 2006
  4. Chris Lim

    Matty F Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > My Canon A85 has just started playing up. When I turn it on the lens
    > opens up as per normal but then retracts back to its closed position by
    > itself. The LCD remains on but blank. If I switch it to 'play' mode I
    > can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the lens to open.
    >
    > Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound like
    > a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new camera?

    There is a recall out for the A85 and other cameras.
    If it qualifies, it might be fixed for free:

    http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/canoncanada.cfg/php/enduser/prnt_adp.php?p_faqid=4304
    Matty F, Nov 28, 2006
  5. Chris Lim

    Vista Guest

    Go into the canon forums at www.dpreview.com
    Vista, Nov 28, 2006
  6. Chris Lim

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > Chris Lim wrote:
    > > My Canon A85 has just started playing up. When I turn it on the lens
    > > opens up as per normal but then retracts back to its closed
    > > position by itself. The LCD remains on but blank. If I switch it to
    > > 'play' mode I can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the
    > > lens to open.
    > >
    > > Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound
    > > like a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new
    > > camera?

    > There is a recall out for the A85 and other cameras.
    > If it qualifies, it might be fixed for free:
    >
    > http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/canoncanada.cfg/php/enduser/prnt_adp.php?p_faqid=4304

    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have an A70 that I've had a
    couple of years that still serves my needs admirably. However, if it should
    ever exhibit the described fault, I know to contact Canon and not just throw
    it away.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding"
    Albert Einstein
    ~misfit~, Nov 28, 2006
  7. Chris Lim

    kiwianalog Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > Chris Lim wrote:
    > > > My Canon A85 has just started playing up. When I turn it on the lens
    > > > opens up as per normal but then retracts back to its closed
    > > > position by itself. The LCD remains on but blank. If I switch it to
    > > > 'play' mode I can bring up the menu etc, but just can't get the
    > > > lens to open.
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Does this sound
    > > > like a problem that's repairable or is it better just to get a new
    > > > camera?

    Yep, one possible fix is to plug it into your tv on play, then switch to
    record mode, something like that anyhow, can't quite remember but it worked
    for me.
    kiwianalog, Nov 29, 2006