    if it thinks there is a a cd in the drive (there isn't its empty). The
    writer is a Ricoh mp7083a manufactured april 2001.

    Any ideas.? time to replace it?
    Craig Sutton, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Craig Sutton

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:05:12 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > My brothers pc has a problem with the cdburner its started blinking away on
    > bootup, desktop etc. The mouse pointer changes to the loading cd pointer. As
    > if it thinks there is a a cd in the drive (there isn't its empty). The
    > writer is a Ricoh mp7083a manufactured april 2001.
    >
    > Any ideas.? time to replace it?

    Thank so.

    If you are adventurous, you might take it apart, clean it up, oil it (with
    silicone oil), and see if you get another year out of it.

    But really with new ones being a $60 item...

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The Earth is the cradle of human civilization, but one cannot live in the cradle forever." -- Konstantin Tsiolkovskii

    Note: All my comments are copyright 13/02/2005 11:29:47 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Craig Sutton

    Adder Guest

    In article <cun910$1j5$> in nz.comp on Sun, 13 Feb 2005
    23:05:12 +1300, Craig Sutton <> says...
    > My brothers pc has a problem with the cdburner its started blinking away on
    > bootup, desktop etc. The mouse pointer changes to the loading cd pointer. As
    > if it thinks there is a a cd in the drive (there isn't its empty). The
    > writer is a Ricoh mp7083a manufactured april 2001.
    >
    > Any ideas.? time to replace it?

    huh?

    tell me what cd drive doesnt blink away wwether there is a disc in it or
    not

    because itr usally takes a few seconds for the drive to detect that there
    isnt a dic in it
    Adder, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Adder" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cun910$1j5$> in nz.comp on Sun, 13 Feb 2005
    > 23:05:12 +1300, Craig Sutton <> says...
    > > My brothers pc has a problem with the cdburner its started blinking away

    on
    > > bootup, desktop etc. The mouse pointer changes to the loading cd

    pointer. As
    > > if it thinks there is a a cd in the drive (there isn't its empty). The
    > > writer is a Ricoh mp7083a manufactured april 2001.
    > >
    > > Any ideas.? time to replace it?

    > huh?
    >
    > tell me what cd drive doesnt blink away wwether there is a disc in it or
    > not
    >
    > because itr usally takes a few seconds for the drive to detect that there
    > isnt a dic in it

    PC sitting at the usual windows desktop nothing being done on it, cdburners
    light is flashing away blink blink blink admin tools says cdrom drive
    failure on blah blah blah.

    Anyway I brought it home to chuck in another pc, if it does the same it can
    go in the bin and a nice dual dvd burner can replace it.
    Craig Sutton, Feb 13, 2005
  5. On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:05:12 +1300, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >My brothers pc has a problem with the cdburner its started blinking away on
    >bootup, desktop etc. The mouse pointer changes to the loading cd pointer. As
    >if it thinks there is a a cd in the drive (there isn't its empty). The
    >writer is a Ricoh mp7083a manufactured april 2001.
    >
    >Any ideas.? time to replace it?

    Yes the Die early, One of mine an another Chap both had them Die, in just
    over a year..

    Seems that yours is past its use by date..
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Feb 13, 2005
  6. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:02:55 +1300, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >"Adder" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <cun910$1j5$> in nz.comp on Sun, 13 Feb 2005
    >> 23:05:12 +1300, Craig Sutton <> says...
    >> > My brothers pc has a problem with the cdburner its started blinking away

    >on
    >> > bootup, desktop etc. The mouse pointer changes to the loading cd

    >pointer. As
    >> > if it thinks there is a a cd in the drive (there isn't its empty). The
    >> > writer is a Ricoh mp7083a manufactured april 2001.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas.? time to replace it?

    >> huh?
    >>
    >> tell me what cd drive doesnt blink away wwether there is a disc in it or
    >> not
    >>
    >> because itr usally takes a few seconds for the drive to detect that there
    >> isnt a dic in it

    >PC sitting at the usual windows desktop nothing being done on it, cdburners
    >light is flashing away blink blink blink admin tools says cdrom drive
    >failure on blah blah blah.
    >
    >Anyway I brought it home to chuck in another pc, if it does the same it can
    >go in the bin and a nice dual dvd burner can replace it.

    Try not to get a DL Burner they are Crap..
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Feb 13, 2005
  7. Craig Sutton

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 02:43:06 +1300, BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

    >Try not to get a DL Burner they are Crap..

    You said that about SL burners 2 years ago.
    Invisible, Feb 13, 2005
  8. Craig Sutton

    J.wilson Guest

    <BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message

    > Try not to get a DL Burner they are Crap..

    DL ? SL? What's this? (I did google a bit)

    I spotted a Benq dvd writer x16 for approx. $200 and
    was tempted. What would you recommend as best
    value for $ ?

    John
    J.wilson, Feb 13, 2005
  9. Craig Sutton

    ~misfit~ Guest

    J.wilson wrote:
    > <BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
    >
    >> Try not to get a DL Burner they are Crap..

    > DL ? SL? What's this? (I did google a bit)

    Dual Layer, Single Layer.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 13, 2005
  10. Craig Sutton

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:54:05 +1300, J.wilson wrote:

    > <BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
    >
    >> Try not to get a DL Burner they are Crap..

    > DL ? SL? What's this? (I did google a bit)
    >
    > I spotted a Benq dvd writer x16 for approx. $200 and
    > was tempted. What would you recommend as best
    > value for $ ?
    >
    > John

    That benq - the 1620 - is $138 from ascent at the moment. Highly rated
    dvd/cd writer. Have one myself and it's fine. Quiet too. Dual Layer.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Star Wars won't work. Star Wars won't work. The gas still gets through; it
    could get right on you. And what about those germs, now? Star Wars won't
    work.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/02/2005 1:18:58 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 14, 2005
  11. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:54:05 +1300, "J.wilson" <>
    wrote:

    ><BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
    >
    >> Try not to get a DL Burner they are Crap..

    >DL ? SL? What's this? (I did google a bit)
    >
    >I spotted a Benq dvd writer x16 for approx. $200 and
    >was tempted. What would you recommend as best
    >value for $ ?
    >
    >John

    Get a Real Brand with good Support, Not Benq Crap..

    DL = Dual Layer.
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Feb 14, 2005
  12. Craig Sutton

    Axle Guest

    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:54:05 +1300, "J.wilson" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >><BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>Try not to get a DL Burner they are Crap..

    >>DL ? SL? What's this? (I did google a bit)
    >>
    >>I spotted a Benq dvd writer x16 for approx. $200 and
    >>was tempted. What would you recommend as best
    >>value for $ ?
    >>
    >>John
    >>

    > Get a Real Brand with good Support, Not Benq Crap..
    >
    > DL = Dual Layer.

    How can you tell what any of these brands are ?
    Liteon Plextor, whatever, they just appear out of nowhere.
    Axle, Feb 14, 2005
  13. Craig Sutton

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:13:35 +1300, Axle wrote:

    > How can you tell what any of these brands are ?
    > Liteon Plextor, whatever, they just appear out of nowhere.

    You are best to ignore 'Bill' (actually it is woger, and woger is known for
    giving false information). (I did not see his misleading of you due to
    having him killfiled as many do)

    The Benq is one of the best supported drives out there. Regular updates to
    firmware, bitsetting/booktype support, great reviews. Look at the reviews
    and forums on cdrlabs and cdinfo.

    --

    .... Brendan

    At Group L, Stoffel oversees six first-rate programmers, a managerial challenge roughly comparable to herding cats.
    Washington Post Magazine,6/9/85

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/02/2005 7:12:46 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Feb 14, 2005
  14. Craig Sutton

    Axle Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:13:35 +1300, Axle wrote:
    >

    >>How can you tell what any of these brands are ?
    >>Liteon Plextor, whatever, they just appear out of nowhere.

    > You are best to ignore 'Bill' (actually it is woger, and woger is known for
    > giving false information). (I did not see his misleading of you due to
    > having him killfiled as many do)
    >
    > The Benq is one of the best supported drives out there. Regular updates to
    > firmware, bitsetting/booktype support, great reviews. Look at the reviews
    > and forums on cdrlabs and cdinfo.

    Yeah I know Brendan, it was rhetorical really, which is why I used a
    couple of Wogers favourite brands as an example.
    I doubt whether Benq have an optical drive plant and a LCD screen plant
    of their own.
    All we can go on is word of mouth from other users, and its pretty clear
    that Woger isn't much use as one of those.
    Axle, Feb 14, 2005
  15. Craig Sutton

    colinco Guest

    In article Axle says...
    > I doubt whether Benq have an optical drive plant and a LCD screen plant
    > of their own.

    Why pick on the things Benq do make?
    colinco, Feb 14, 2005
  16. Craig Sutton

    Axle Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article Axle says...
    >
    >>I doubt whether Benq have an optical drive plant and a LCD screen plant
    >>of their own.
    >>

    > Why pick on the things Benq do make?

    I'm not picking on anything colinco
    Do they have an lcd plant ?
    Do they have an optical drive plant ?
    Axle, Feb 14, 2005
  17. Craig Sutton

    colinco Guest

    In article Axle says...
    > > Why pick on the things Benq do make?

    > I'm not picking on anything colinco
    > Do they have an lcd plant ?
    > Do they have an optical drive plant ?

    Who knows with all the outsourcing to China but I've seen some
    references to Benq being about no 3 or 4 for LCD production and capable
    of producing 2 million optical drives a month. Benq do seem to be a
    manufacturer as well as a brand. Sony at the moment seem to leave the
    optical drive making to Liteon.
    colinco, Feb 14, 2005
  18. Craig Sutton

    axel Guest

    colinco wrote:

    > In article Axle says...
    >> > Why pick on the things Benq do make?

    >> I'm not picking on anything colinco
    >> Do they have an lcd plant ?
    >> Do they have an optical drive plant ?
    >>

    > Who knows with all the outsourcing to China but I've seen some
    > references to Benq being about no 3 or 4 for LCD production and capable
    > of producing 2 million optical drives a month. Benq do seem to be a
    > manufacturer as well as a brand. Sony at the moment seem to leave the
    > optical drive making to Liteon.

    Thats my point, I'm not bagging BenQ. I don't know if Acer or BenQ made my
    Acer badged LCD, and where the subassemblies that their products are made
    up from are sourced, neither does anyone else.
    Big brand names are just integrators.
    axel, Feb 14, 2005
  19. Craig Sutton

    colinco Guest

    In article axel says...
    > Thats my point, I'm not bagging BenQ. I don't know if Acer or BenQ made my
    > Acer badged LCD, and where the subassemblies that their products are made
    > up from are sourced, neither does anyone else.
    > Big brand names are just integrators.

    I did read one page that described Benq as originally the Acer division
    that mainly made LCDs. The manufacturing follows the cheapest labour, I
    suppose the companies that do their own design have most control.
    colinco, Feb 14, 2005
  20. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:24:43 +1300, Brendan <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:13:35 +1300, Axle wrote:
    >
    >> How can you tell what any of these brands are ?
    >> Liteon Plextor, whatever, they just appear out of nowhere.

    >You are best to ignore 'Bill' (actually it is woger, and woger is known for
    >giving false information). (I did not see his misleading of you due to
    >having him killfiled as many do)
    >
    >The Benq is one of the best supported drives out there. Regular updates to
    >firmware, bitsetting/booktype support, great reviews. Look at the reviews
    >and forums on cdrlabs and cdinfo.

    Tis because this Dumbo brought one, has to defend that he bough crap, go
    read some better site like CDfreaks..

    Beng is utter Crap, for heavens sake, stay well away,...
    BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn, Feb 15, 2005