Faulty CD-RW drive?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dave Hardenbrook, May 28, 2007.

  1. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, which is having intermittent problems
    writing to CD-RW disks, and I'm having a hard time diagnosing the
    problems. Sometimes CD burns are successful, sometimes it fails in the
    middle of the process, and sometimes it seems to succeed, but when an
    attempt is made to access the files, the system hangs while the drive is
    grinding away, or displays a "file corrupt" error.

    I have tried recording both with
    Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3 Basic (comes with the system) and CD writing
    from Windows explorer. While Explorer has a greater rate of success --
    Only about one out five burns fail, as opposed to one out of two with
    Roxio, still it's inconsistant. I tried disabling the virus checker,
    and installing Roxio's driver bug fix for XP, but the problem
    persists. (There seems to be no problem reading disks, just writing.)

    Would you say the drive probably failing, or could it still be a
    software issue? What other tests should I try?

    Here's the system info:

    Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8100
    OS: Windows XP Home SP2
    CD-RW drive: Matshita UJDA330
    Burning software: Tried Win Explorer & Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3 Basic
    Anti-Virus: AVG 7.5

    Dave

    Dave Hardenbrook, May 28, 2007

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    Guest

    On May 28, 1:13 pm, Dave Hardenbrook
    <> wrote:
    > I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, which is having intermittent problems
    > writing to CD-RW disks, and I'm having a hard time diagnosing the
    > problems. Sometimes CD burns are successful, sometimes it fails in the
    > middle of the process, and sometimes it seems to succeed, but when an
    > attempt is made to access the files, the system hangs while the drive is
    > grinding away, or displays a "file corrupt" error.
    >
    > I have tried recording both with
    > Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3 Basic (comes with the system) and CD writing
    > from Windows explorer. While Explorer has a greater rate of success --
    > Only about one out five burns fail, as opposed to one out of two with
    > Roxio, still it's inconsistant. I tried disabling the virus checker,
    > and installing Roxio's driver bug fix for XP, but the problem
    > persists. (There seems to be no problem reading disks, just writing.)
    >
    > Would you say the drive probably failing, or could it still be a
    > software issue? What other tests should I try?
    >
    > Here's the system info:
    >
    > Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8100
    > OS: Windows XP Home SP2
    > CD-RW drive: Matshita UJDA330
    > Burning software: Tried Win Explorer & Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3 Basic
    > Anti-Virus: AVG 7.5
    >
    > Dave

    Dave,
    Have you tryed changing the Disks you are burning on, some disk might
    work good with one system but doesn't work good with another system.
    Also try updating the driver from the maker of the CD-RW, and check if
    the softwear has updates to.
    Jason

    , May 29, 2007

  3. Dave Hardenbrook

    Tony Guest

    On 29 May 2007 07:49:49 -0700, "" <> wrote:

    >On May 28, 1:13 pm, Dave Hardenbrook
    ><> wrote:
    >> I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, which is having intermittent problems
    >> writing to CD-RW disks, and I'm having a hard time diagnosing the
    >> problems. Sometimes CD burns are successful, sometimes it fails in the
    >> middle of the process, and sometimes it seems to succeed, but when an
    >> attempt is made to access the files, the system hangs while the drive is
    >> grinding away, or displays a "file corrupt" error.
    >>
    >> Here's the system info:
    >>
    >> Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8100
    >> OS: Windows XP Home SP2
    >> CD-RW drive: Matshita UJDA330
    >> Burning software: Tried Win Explorer & Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3 Basic
    >> Anti-Virus: AVG 7.5
    >>
    >> Dave

    I have a feeling the drive is shot but try using XP's cd burning app first. Go to Windows explorer
    and drag the files to the cd-rw drive and then click on "write files to disc". Let us know what
    happens.

    BTW, are you saying that CD-R discs do work and CD-RW discs do not? If that is the case, the drive
    is probably flakey.

    Tony

    Tony, May 29, 2007
  4. Dave Hardenbrook

    Patty Guest

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 20:13:05 GMT, Dave Hardenbrook wrote:

    > I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, which is having intermittent problems
    > writing to CD-RW disks, and I'm having a hard time diagnosing the
    > problems. Sometimes CD burns are successful, sometimes it fails in the
    > middle of the process, and sometimes it seems to succeed, but when an
    > attempt is made to access the files, the system hangs while the drive is
    > grinding away, or displays a "file corrupt" error.
    >
    > I have tried recording both with
    > Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3 Basic (comes with the system) and CD writing
    > from Windows explorer. While Explorer has a greater rate of success --
    > Only about one out five burns fail, as opposed to one out of two with
    > Roxio, still it's inconsistant. I tried disabling the virus checker,
    > and installing Roxio's driver bug fix for XP, but the problem
    > persists. (There seems to be no problem reading disks, just writing.)
    >
    > Would you say the drive probably failing, or could it still be a
    > software issue? What other tests should I try?
    >
    > Here's the system info:
    >
    > Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8100
    > OS: Windows XP Home SP2
    > CD-RW drive: Matshita UJDA330
    > Burning software: Tried Win Explorer & Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3 Basic
    > Anti-Virus: AVG 7.5
    >

    > Dave

    If the CD-RW disks are a newer, faster speed, a firmware update may be in
    order. I've had problems with my Sony DVD burner and the newer 16x DVD-R
    disks until I flashed the firmware. Now it works flawlessly. So, if it's
    an older burner, it may need a firmware update to use newer disks.

    Patty

    Patty, May 30, 2007
  5. Dave Hardenbrook

    smackedass Guest

    Sure sounds like the drive is toasting out. Is it totally integrated, or is
    it possbile to remove it and slip another one in?

    smackedass

    smackedass, May 31, 2007